Reviews for Song of the River
alliekay11 chapter 1 . 10/8/2012
I love the Wizard of Oz reference! Because the readers get it but Mal won't because it's from The Earth-That-Was. Good Job!
TheManfromGallifrey chapter 3 . 5/13/2012
I love the use of the wizard of Oz so far. And I really like the way you wrote Jayne's one liners. Also, you have Kaylee's accent down really well, and I like the way Mal interacts with everyone. I think my favorite is when you dig into River's brain. She's really fun to write, because I think we all have a little River inside of us.
RionaEire chapter 13 . 5/9/2012
If I were River's caregiver I'd have tried to reason with her about the eggs first, they're good for her after all. Stories where RIver and Simon are reunited with their parents are always interesting. Clearly they're dreadfully imperceptive and foolish people, this experience hasn't changed them. I laughed at River's trials and tribulations with the color pink. Still a cute story and I look forward to the next one. I don't know if Simon's parents will ever understand, but I wish they could. I fear, sadly, that River's girlhood friend won't get it though and won't accept things as they are now. I wish Kaylee's cousins could come around, all these girls in this story don't want to be River's friends. There has to be someone out there that can understand and be a nice friend for River, besides her Serenity family, one can never have too many friends..

Riona
evo350 chapter 11 . 5/8/2012
I am really liking this story so far. It's interesting to see the Tams interact with their parents in these stories. I think you captured Simon quite well.. I personally like to see a stronger River. I feel she is still quite the child here. If that's what your vision is of her then it works, I think I just personally see her as a fierce warrior.
RionaEire chapter 6 . 5/3/2012
Due to dastardly time constraints I can't be as much of a presence around here as I once was, can't normally pick up new stories to follow, but today I chose yours and I'm glad. Its a really interesting and cute story. You do well at showing River's ups and downs, all sides of what its like being her and, more so, what its like caring for her and being her family. Its great that she and Kaylee are such good friends and there's so much for River to do for fun aboard the Serenity. If I were River's caregiver we'd have a talk about how its not okay for her to sabotage things on purpose (intentionally pulling out the middle plate to break the others), touched as she is she still needs to do her best to not behave badly, we all have to do our part to make a family go 'round. Its funny when she calls Simon Todo. I think Kaylee's mom knows right away that River is touched. I'm sad that her attempt at playing with the younger girls didn't go so well. I really hope they can be explained to and they can all find some common ground. I think that if they understood about River they could get along with her better. What happened wasn't anyone's fault, it was an accident. So hopefully they can forgive River and all get along and make friends. River can show them how to dance or draw pictures with them or they can play outdoors etc. They may even look up to River in a way since she's older than them, kids always like playing with older kids, even if they're touched, it doesn't matter so much, just being able to say they have an older friend makes them feel cool. I look forward to more of this story and its fun because the gang's all here, Wash and Book live! You write the charactors well, I think Simon is very protective of River, but I don't think he'd be mad at the kids for what happened, he'd know it was an accident, so maybe alter that a little. Really neat story.

Riona
James chapter 1 . 5/1/2012
Catches my interest, without giving any tell-tail hints for what's going on in the rest of the story.
Riley01314 chapter 1 . 4/28/2012
Great start! Can't wait to read more. Please update soon. :-)