Reviews for Bottle Fame and Brew Glory
Arithmancy Master chapter 14 . 5/12/2012
I'm not certain what is going on, why they are taking the replica wands and what they are expecting to find in a place of significance to Lady Jane Grey, (Other than that they are obviously seeking horcruxes.) Like the idea that Gryffindor had something other than just the sword.

Oh well, not long till I might find out what is hidden where, and maybe even why.
Arithmancy Master chapter 13 . 5/11/2012
So glad that Death Eaters are defecting. Yes there is a safety and security issue, but I can't see why anyone would want the humiliation and pain connected with receiving crucios from the leader of your own side. They are basically slaves with no rights and, for anything acquired pre-decision to accept the mark, no possessions. Hope they work out a way round that one.

Glad that we saw aother snippet of Fred & George.

Hope that they were rescuing Florian for reasons other than the info he might be able to provide.
Arithmancy Master chapter 12 . 5/11/2012
I think my reviews have been getting long and waffly so I'll try to be more succinct.

Green tea ice cream - weird

Memories - if I was Regulus, I'd have tried to hide the theft/ switch of locket. Voldie's arrogance would have meant he was unlikely to consider that anyone would dare do it.

Snape at eleven - seems like a member of the Addams family.

Map - good explanation of how Filch came to have it.

Birthday card - a reminder that those at Hogwarts are still kids, no matter how serious things are around them.
Arithmancy Master chapter 11 . 5/10/2012
Liked the idea that Snape cheered on the bludgers. Hopefully he does understand the game well enough, as he refereed a match once in order to protect Harry. Admittedly that match only lasted a very short time, but it might not have.

Ginny's explanation "He's an American" might suggest that, like football/soccer, Americans have a different game, American Quidditch, that is generally more popular.

Found the Peculiarlis spell interesting. Snape had referred earlier to having three masters - Moody first, then Voldie then Harry. Would that not have meant that the book, the legal property of Snape, belonged to Moody? With the exception of Snape's own thoughts that were contained within it.

I wondered why Harry was asked to give the prophecy twice, when Snape already knew it. Then remembered that it was a necessary ruse to keep from revealing more about Dumbledore. Good thing I'm not a spy, I couldn't work out who was meant to know that I knew something etc.

I note that Harry, Ron and Hermione, even Lupin, are all more comfortable talking to Russ than Snape. I wonder if Snape prefers who is is when he is being Russ and whether he might continue to use it even when the need for secrecy is over. I was surprised that Neville was working in the lab with Snape as himself earlier in the chapter, when Lupin commented that he was nicer as Russ, which was why I did not include him or Luna in the list, but now wonder if I misread it since Snape indicated near the end that he did not use his natural form when Neville was around.

Didn't like the idea of the elf head when I read the book, so I think I'd almost blotted them from my memory until now. However, I must admit that they make an ingenious hiding place.
Arithmancy Master chapter 10 . 5/10/2012
I hope they also visited a Primary and Senior school (or whatever the equivalent names are) as that would presumably be where Russ had spent most of his time over the years.

I didn't think I'd enjoy going round sights I'd never seen but we weren't really shown them, just given details of a rather different Halloween party in what was either the gay wizarding community or else somewhere that had cross dressing down to a fine art. They certainly seemed more tolerant than in British society in general. Yes, it was in the resting and surprising to find that Severus had a low tolerance to vodka martinis. Wonder if this could be used against him later?

I also wonder if Luna is becoming more significant in the story. I think McGonagall said something to "Luna and the others", Snape saw Luna's face across the hall when he returned then had a disagreement with her about the merits of California and whether he'd like to stay there.
Arithmancy Master chapter 9 . 5/10/2012
I thought the multiple floo networks worked well. Seemed much better than yelling "Malfoy Manor" or similar from the Leaky Cauldon. Yes, everyone knows the name of that property but shouldn't be able to get there quite so easily. And even more so for a place under Fidelius.

I noted your use of "will we, nill we", something I've never seen before, possibly an old form of willy-nilly? With its lesser used meaning of "Whether it is with or against your will"

I've just looked at your profile and found that you have posted a substantial number of words in the past few weeks. (Yes, I realise that these have been written over the course of a number of years.) I wonder if your teaching subject is connected with literacy. (It's ok, I'm not asking for personal details. After all I could be one of your pupils, just pretending that I come from a different continent.)

And I can see why Snape is keen to visit San Francisco- not to avoid Voldemort's, though that would be a good side effect, but so that you who live there can tell the rest of us about it.

Good that Snape received his meeting with Albus, to confirm that the report of his death was greatly exaggerated. He learnt the prophecy. But I'm not sure if he learnt much more.
Arithmancy Master chapter 8 . 5/10/2012
Like the idea of Hermione and maybe more learning occlumency. Seems a very useful skill to have. Really liked the idea of not thinking of an elephant as a starting point.

Seems that Snape is a completely different, and much nicer, character when he's being Russell. The snark and sarcasm have reduced so much. It is easy to see why Hermione seems to treat them as two separate entities.

Good also to see Ron being an impulsive idiot, not that it's a characteristic I like, but that it is part of who he is. And it had seemed likie Harry was the only /major idiot on the light side so far. I wonder if Harry is so unappealing in all your stories. Maybe I'll try another one later to see how he is portrayed.
Arithmancy Master chapter 7 . 5/10/2012
Not sure I liked the idea that Severus and Remus were strays that Lily picked up.

And what is it with teenage boys wanting to see scars and gory things? Yuk. Not for me thanks. I don't even like to read graphic explanations. I thought it was terrible that Hermione was forced to look at them in a earlier chapter. Not sure if she was a doubting Thomas but think it would have been reasonable to have given her the choice..

And what on earth is Harry up to? Snape seems to be attending lessons and teasing out information from a variety of sources. Don't suppose Harry has achieved anything tangible, or even a clue about further horcrux locations.
Arithmancy Master chapter 6 . 5/10/2012
Like the idea that the body still functions (or in this case, fails to) when concealed via polyjuice.

Seemed surprising that the kids all seemed able to take a few days off school to go with Snape.

Two clues at the end - slow and Fawkes. Seems like it could be a combination of Dumbledore's own Arresto momentum and Fawkes' strength that saved Albus from being killed upon impact.
Arithmancy Master chapter 5 . 5/10/2012
I hated the idea tha Dumbleore had died.

I know JKR had her reasons, but I thought something would happen at the end of book six, including the time after the funeral, to show Harry / us that he was alive.

I then waited with great expectations for the big reveal at the start of book seven. But no. Sill didn't happen.

Therefore it is quite clearly going to be the case here so I look forward to finding out who knew, who is looking after / hiding him and whether he suffered any long term damage from the fall or if he either levitated himself or had help from Fawkes that prevented a hard landing. Presumably it was a drop of eight or more stories as it would seem unlikely that the astronomy tower would be lower than the room of requirement, so there will have been serious velocity as he went over the edge.
Arithmancy Master chapter 4 . 5/10/2012
Harry is certainly being anti social - angry and uncooperative. If he and Snape are the main characters of this story then Harry will have to change, as they're currently unlikely to even meet other than at Order meetings, if Harry is even allowed to attend.

Delighted to see Snape and Neville working together successfully. Must have taken a lot to overcome Neville's fear of the man, to go from his bogart to a workmate is a substantial change. Maybe the appearance makes a difference, even if they do know who is inside the fifteen year old body.

Now wondering, if Snape is going to be poly juiced for the whole school year, whether they will get new hair cuttings at Christmas, firstly because they might run out and secondly so that the body can ge a bit.

Also wondering if Snape has an accent. Maybe he has a translation charm that inserts Americanisms into his speech pattern.
Arithmancy Master chapter 3 . 5/10/2012
I wonder what Snape would have done to get sorted in Ravenclaw. Maybe connected with lodging the umbrella in such a way that it would reduce / prevent water going into the well so that more time was available for getting adequate assistance, including a boat. If the well was too wide for this, maybe the umbrella could be used as a bucket to throw water over the side of the well. If arms chained too, preventing this and chains were long, prisoner would be able to float. As only six feet deep, might be able to keep above water for a substantial period. Or just find a wizard who could do unlocking charms or conjure a boat or summon the key.

Well, they were all possibilities that occurred to me in the first few seconds. I would hope that the hat could have just placed me without doing any role play or what if scenarios. I know where I belong. Just a pity I'm not a wizard.
Arithmancy Master chapter 2 . 5/9/2012
Nice to see Mad Eye being something other than mad.

Not as smart as Severus though.

They will need an awful lot of hair clippings if Snape is to keep up the polyjuice for a sustained period, retaining the same character each time.

Like the way Moody calls Snape boyo. Makes him appear rather Welsh.

I love Fred and George so hope that they feature again.

I'm sure Snape had fun goading Harry when in his Russell character.
Arithmancy Master chapter 1 . 5/9/2012
No need to apologise for it being different to canon. If it was the same then a) you would be liable to prosecution; and b) no-one would read it, as we've seen it all before.

It actually seems to bear a lot of resemblance to the original so it seems like you did quite a lot of astute guesswork / puzzle solving.

I found it amusing that Snape referred to himself as Russ, something I have never seen before.
peruvianprincess chapter 20 . 5/6/2012
Wonderful, fabulous, absolutely genius work! I hope you intend to make some money with your talent. Beautifully written. I was a little dissapointed at first that Harry had such a small part in the story line, but I got over it. Your depiction of Snape was masterful. I can't say enough good things about this story. I'm glad I found it.
61 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »