Reviews for To Every Thing There Is a Season
Ralph Brew chapter 1 . 4/24/2015
I am enjoying this exploration of the early years of Rabadash, Corradin and so forth. Just finished chapter 1, I think, ending at the pile of whitewashed stones; although I would have tagged Rabadash as being 20 something in The Horse and His Boy and some of the others you have named as much much older, but maybe I was thinking of Anradin of the crimson beard. It is good to be able to get a sense of the wider empire of Calormen than simply the moors and cliffs north of Arsheesh's village and then the town lands near Tashbaan. However, I felt I needed some borrowings of style and description of landscape and scent from Lewis so that we were also grounded in the landscape more by our intimacy with the protagonists' senses. It was a little hard to maintain interest and follow I thought, with perhaps a need for the stronger bonds between the two or so main protagonists to have been established as back story more, so we "knew" the key characters first before launching into the army being on the move. What appeared necessary was to demonstrate the pressures to perform in a hyper masculine warrior based society, the corner of resistance to this which one character or another might have (and how), and the inner and outer conflicts which might result.
IrishDancer chapter 2 . 11/29/2014
I mourn Kinboor's death. What manner of man might the prince have been, had he an honest counselor rather than another dog to lick his royal boots?
Guest chapter 2 . 8/22/2012
Like it!
mar888 chapter 3 . 6/6/2012
Sad
mar888 chapter 1 . 6/6/2012
Nice
rthstewart chapter 2 . 4/29/2012
Ilgamuth's superb humanity just shines in this, in his care of the horses, his recognition of the costs of war, that in the end, he does not give Tash his heart. He takes the words of Kinboor very much to heart and you get the sense that he will serve Rabadash in part because he now sees his duty as keeping watch over the hotheaded Prince - helping him find the more moderate path.

Also the whole worldbuilding behind the Temple and the priestess of Azaroth was wonderful. I know you've got a lot more there, but it is great to read. I loved the little prayer Ilgamuth said to the mother of horses when he sent the mare off after slashing her shoulder. sniff.

He is a wonderful character.
WriterWilf chapter 1 . 4/29/2012
It really annoys me that you don't have any more reviews. I mean seriously, you deserve more reviews than nearly half of the authors on here. Sorry, just need to put my opinion out there.

I always did find Calormen history very intriguing. They are very different from the Narnians. They come from complete opposites sides of the world, with different views and customs and ways of seeing things. Everyone always wants to develop Narnia, yet very few ever take up the challenge of developing Calormen.

In case you haven't guessed, I love your fic. Sorry, I'm exhausted. And I'm pretty sure I sound like a nutcase. Which happens frequently when I'm exhausted. And I just love this fic to bits, so yeah, that makes me sound even more crazier. My apologies. XD
rthstewart chapter 1 . 4/28/2012
"What was it about Rabadash's focused attention that had driven away any doubts Ilgamuth had about serving him?" And this is the brilliance of the piece. As much as I adore Ilgamuth, what is terrific here is how we begin to see the cult of Rabadash's personality. He is ruthless, nasty, and arrogant, but he also has charisma, an eye for talent, and something which makes people want to follow him.

This is even better on the second read!