Reviews for However Long the Night
Kanae-sama chapter 1 . 9/3/2014
This, dearest writer, was awesome. It was deep, it was emotional, I could follow the storyline despite the random order, and it was very well written :) thanks for putting this out here, I wouldn't have wanted to miss this for my dear life :)
Thanks for uploading this, you're awesome ! :*
mazebeauty chapter 1 . 12/8/2013
I looove your story so much! You did a great job of putting the different segments together to make a full story. This is definitely one of the best katniss/cato stories I've read in a long time! Keep writing!:)
Ashely chapter 1 . 6/30/2013
I honestly love this story! I always go back to read it again because it's honestly amazing and I really do like the idea of them being in the 71st hunger games because it makes their love more, innocent?
I'm not really sure bit I have loved this story for a long time
Guest chapter 1 . 5/16/2013
this was incredible. i'm speechless.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/17/2013
Loved it absolutely loved it Beautiful.
songstar13 chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
I don't think I've ever seen this pairing before! I'm excited to see how you make it work.

I love the opening lines. They're so simple, but at the same time they're profound because almost all stories DO start that way. Or similarly. There's always a meeting of some kind.

Very interesting so far. The writing is very poetic and descriptive, and while my beta instincts are tickling at the back to take it and tweak it a bit so that it flows a bit better, I still appreciate the quality of writing displayed here. There are a few places where wording or syntax is a bit awkward (and I can point those out in a PM if you so desire, along with my humble suggestions as to how they might fixed), but it's nothing major.

The Cato/Katniss ship is still a bit intriguing to me, but the way you've written it is so believable that I find myself being drawn into the story quite easily. I really like it when people write from the perspective of side characters within a fandom, because I think it's important that their stories are told as well. The author invites us to get to know the main characters in canon, but fanfiction is the place where the universe truly comes alive and we can get to know all the other characters as well. So I'm really glad that you've picked Cato as your narrator.

The second interlude confuses me a bit. I like the way you've written it so vaguely, but I can't help but wonder if I'm supposed to know who the black-haired little girl is.

I really like how you've taken the ending of the first book and tweaked it, yet kept it the same. There are no berries this time, and Katniss reacts in the way she SHOULD have done in the actual book with Peeta (because really, is she that stupid?). I'm really enjoying this fic!

I'll tell you one thing, this piece is certainly not angst-free! The rape scene is really intense, yet at the same time I feel a bit detached from it all, which is interesting. It's like I know that what's happening to Cato is horrible and wrong, but the way you've written it makes it seem so normal and ordinary and every-day that I can't muster the will power to be outraged by it. I guess maybe that's how Cato feels.

The scenes you've picked out are beautiful, and I think I'm starting to understand the plot a bit better. Even though you've written it quite purposefully in a non-chronological fashion, the progression of the story is quite subtle. The disjointed nature of the vignettes adds to the overall experience, like I'm watching a someone flip through the pages in a photo album and stop at pictures at random.

“looking jacked up as much as Cato is in the process of.” Just a quick suggestion (my beta instincts won't let me leave this one alone)! It might make more sense and sound better if you wrote it like this:
“looking about as jacked up as Cato plans/wishes/intends to become.”

You use “male” a lot in your description of the characters in the story. It's not incorrect, but it gives the whole story a more detached, clinical feel, which is at odds sometimes with the words and image you're using to describe Cato's emotional and mental state. I'd suggest changing some of the instances to things like “boy” or “man,” accordingly. Once again, I can give you a more detailed account of my thoughts as a beta in a PM if you'd like.

Oh, well that's just painfully ironic. “that he could verily be the next Finnick Odair.” It's such a delightful little thing that you've put this piece in right after a scene where we see Cato and the very same Finnick Odair meeting in a bar and discussing (though not with so many words) the nature of the life they now lead. It's a bit painful, really, like a sharp pinprick right to the heart. It's wonderful.
“Their coming together would cause the president to lose thousands of money.”

I don't know what the currency of the Capitol is (it's probably NOT dollars, at least), but you could rewrite this sentence to make more sense simply by ending it at thousands. Since you've already mentioned that Katniss pays for Cato, it would be implied and understood that the “thousands” is in reference to money. “thousands of money” is awkward, though, and doesn't make sense.

Well now I feel dumb. The black-haired girl is Katniss. I guess I didn't realize that because in the movie she's brunette and I don't know if we were ever told what color her hair was in the books.

The hunting and slaughtering of all of Cato's previous clients took me a bit by surprise, but it didn't seem beyond reason. For all that Cato and Katniss have been through, they're bound to be a little broken, and Cato's character was never the soft gentility that Peeta exhibited. This is something I would very much expect from Cato, and I'm really glad that you've kept his essential character intact, rather than just making him a psuedo-Peeta.

Ooooh, I love that line. “He's trained all his life for the Hunger Games. Funny how that turned out, because no one trains him for the life after the fated Games.” It's one of those lines that shifts your entire perspective, even if by just a tiny increment. I've never though about that before.

More than anything else, the fact that Cato caused the death of his own father is extremely chilling.

Well. Well that's just...deliciously horrible. The Capitol would do something like that. It's so true to canon that Cato and Katniss can be together, but even that is tainted by the touch of the world that they live in. You really seem to understand the intricacies and details of the universe in which the Hunger Games takes place, and it's really a delight to watch it unfold in this story.

Oh, I really really really love the last two ending bits. I can't decide if I like them as they are, or if it would have had more effect to switch them so that the story ends the same lines it started with (like a nice set of book ends to enclose and contain a very powerful story), but I really do love the last two bits.

Well now, I do believe this is the longest review I've ever written. I really would be honored if you'd let me do my beta-thing for this piece, because it's gorgeous and I want it to be simply incandescent. This was a really moving piece, and even though I'm not going to be shipping Cato/Katniss any time soon, I can really appreciate the intricacies of their relationship.

Thank you for writing this! I'm sad that I don't enjoy more of the fandoms you've written for, because I love your writing.

Song
Sadie chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
This story is amazing C : I wish I could read more stories like this one truly amazed
Mylanta56 chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
All of this - sheer perfection. Thank you for writing such a breathtakingly beautiful story.
Guest chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
BEST ONESHOT EVER!

Seriously, it takes a lot for me to shed one tear and I was nearly bawling my eyes out after I finished reading this! Beautifully done.
Datonman chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
I can understand that Cato had an obsession with Katniss. Even though he tried to kill her. Part of it had to with it being that she scored an 11 by the judges. Reading it again, I thought it was jealously. But jealousy can lead to obsession, obsession can lead to love.
Apparently sex is an outlet that careers and winners get to enjoy although it has some disadvantages. Despite the graphic scenery and disturbing portions, in a way I’m glad that you put what happens to Cato when the other guy violates him and Katniss being forced to watch. It gives him the benefit of the doubt. He suffered just as any other candidate. His past was no different than any other tribute.
In the rape scene, to me it made it out to sound like Cato not being as strong as he should be, at least not anymore. Katniss probably feels this.
It makes sense that Cato’s upbringing was because of his mean father. It explains a lot and I’m wondering why this portion should not have been added in ‘Hunger Games’.
In the line at the end “It times like these where Cato and Annie can successfully leave the remnants of their damaged mind and partake in the enjoyment of amusing the two boys.” ‘remnants of their damaged minds’ should be more precise.
Other than that I see no other spelling errors or sentence errors.
Good work.
Galvantula866 chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
At first I was horrified to read something that pairs Cato with a hero (Granted Katness isn't that much better, but that just me spitting hairs here) but geez, this AU kinda makes me feel bad for the poor bastard. Beaten and deprived of his teddy bear, all because he can't throw a knife? This world just sucks for everyone and you didn't shy away from the harsh reality of what such abuse does to people. If any of what I've just typed is canon then Cato must have been though the wringer, all for the sick thrill of people that have and waste far too much.

The rape scene was rather tasteless in my opinion. I get that you want to make people like Cato (which is a tall order) but while I do have to commend you for portraying the rape in a realistic way, overall it just made me sick to my stomach. I will admit I like your Cato better than the canon one, as deep down he does feel terrible for killing innocent kids for some "game". I did wonder what may have happen had the net not deployed in time to save them both, but sometimes crazy works. Although he may have been in the right to kill his horrible father, Cato did cross a line in doing so. At least, that what I think.

Katness I feel was not using her best judgment here. Sure, her mentor is a drunken mess, but he does that to block out as much of the pain of sending kids to their deaths and is a somewhat noble man. Reading the scene where she nearly claws out one of his eye made me lose some sympathy for her plight. After reading the parts where she just watches Cato's victims be ripped apart without batting an eye (I know they deserve that fate) I just can't see how their kids are going to grow up to be normal with murderers for parents.

All in all this wasn't one of my favorites, although this is not a bad story by any means. Your grammar, spelling and wordplay are great and you'll be happy to know it made perfect sense to me. It's just that the two lovebirds are brutal beyond what I personally believe is acceptable for heroes or most anti-heroes.
Sierraoscar154 chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
I know a little bit about the Hunger Games universe, and I understand that it takes place in a different universe that what we're used to, so with that out of the way, let's begin, shall we?
I'm not quite sure why you bumped it up to the 71st, but that's okay, it didn't really make much difference in that regard to me. I don't exactly see this type of pairing together, and I found the idea to be very unique at least. Cato and Katniss isn't something you come across any given day at least. So, I figured that it would be a pretty vanilla type love story and such, but it kind of turned itself onto it's head there.
Cato...uh...yeah. That's not exactly the role he was expecting to play after he won the games, no?
I would imagine President Snow uh, asking Cato and Katniss to do such a thing in front of the cameras...kind of up his sleazy alley, if you ask me.
For me personally, it did seem to lean more toward the more explicit side, which I would prefer to leave out in a story but I understand that it was necessary to tell this particular one. Nevertheless, despite that, I felt that both Cato and Katniss are well developed for a short story, and the book ends quote with "A boy meets a girl. A girl meets a boy," really hammers home the point about relationships and how the develop over time.
StormRex Lancer chapter 1 . 3/30/2013
Although this is an AU, I can read without any knowledge of the Hunger Games at all. Cato becoming a sex slave? That's a really despicable Snow, isn't it? it makes me want to rage on him and kick the ever loving hell out of him. But then again, that usually means that you have portrayed as a manipulative son of a gun, wanting not more than money, and the pleasures of torturing people psychologically and physically. The struggles of Cato and Katniss just made me want to jump into the story and help them, that is how dramatic it can be. I mean, Katsniss was helpless in her attempts to help out Cato despite her bottling anger.

WHich makes it all the more satisfying when Cato finally got the location of all the stupid tapes that President Snow had kept, that is retribution well-deserved.

There are some words ended with 'n't ' that are outside of dialogues, just wanting to let you know. Otherwise, a sweet tale of the struggles between the two lovebirds :)
ReadingBlueWolf chapter 1 . 3/27/2013
I find it interesting the way you show the very dark side of what the Capitol could be like. There’s no hesitation, no hints. You write the negative in a blunt way that makes it very gripping and intriguing. I don’t know how I feel about Cato and Katniss, but I’m not opposed to them. I now want the story about her parents dying in the games. That was something I didn’t expect to come across. I enjoy that Cato comes across Finnick. Finnick has always been one of my favorites. Did Katniss’ parents have her while they were still really young? That’s the only way I could see that working. I like how Katniss breaks down when she realizes what Cato’s been going through. That’s really sad. The fact that Cato hunted all those men down and killed them was really nice. It was a really good turning point. Aww, the little boy is so adorable! The fact his father died from an “accident” was amazing. I also really like how most of this is from Cato’s thoughts. I think that’s really neat. Whoa! I didn’t expect that part with President Snow and the video tape. That’s insane! I liked this. Even though it was all over the place I loved the glimpses. It really kept me entertained the whole time.
Belief Among Unrest chapter 1 . 3/27/2013
I want to cry, and that's all I got. This is awesome.
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »