Reviews for Fëanáro
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 2/9/2014
Excellently done! Feanor is certainly not an easy character to describe in so few words, but it’s very cool how you’ve evoked so much of Feanor’s story and character with the few well-chosen words here. Poetry is about conserving, choosing each word deliberately and not wasting any extra language – something I fear I am not particularly talented at in poetry or prose – and this poem is a model of poetic conservatism. What it really reminds me of is some form of Asian syllabic poetry, like haiku or tanka, which are primarily composed of imagery, as yours is, and which are, of course, short and concise in their use of language.

It is beautiful how fluidly you’ve captured Feanor’s character. Of course, all the references to fire, in lines 2, 4, 6, and 7 are appropriate, for his name, his temper, his character, his spirit, and his fire-filled life (his smith-work, Losgar, his death by Balrog, etc.). I also like how you’ve worked in bits of the Curse of the Noldor, the “tears like a river” evoking the “tears unnumbered ye shall shed.” The “Oath unforgotten” and “Always remembered” parts also hint at the Curse, that Feanor and his Oath were pursue all of them to the graves, but those lines also evoke the greatness of Feanor, who despite his misdeeds, gave the world some unfading gifts, like the Evening Star and elven writing.

That last line is a great ending, too. Feanor is the catalyst for the whole Quenta Silmarillion and in a way, eventually, for the physical changing of the world at the War of Wrath. His leading the Noldor to Middle-earth and bringing the Curse upon them is also the reason ultimately for the hiding of Valinor. Plus, Feanor provided the sky of Arda with a new star. Arda is not only changed metaphorically by Feanor’s actions, but in so many ways Arda is changed physically as a result of Feanor, making that a very appropriate, powerful last line.

As always, great work! Keep on writing! Cheers :)

-Sauron Gorthaur
Bushwah chapter 1 . 12/20/2013
FF's right. Sorry, kiddo. Count again.

I like it, though...
Guest chapter 1 . 10/20/2013
? This is 24 words, not 70
LornaWinters chapter 1 . 1/7/2013
Loved it!
Kingsdaughter613 chapter 1 . 7/8/2012
Very nice. You truly captured Feanor here. Excellent job.
Galad Estel chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
"Ignite the stars" there was a certain rising up in that line.
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
Short and sweet. I like it!
The Flame Imperishable chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
What the heck? This is weird. And terrible.
Mornen chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
Now I am very, very impressed. This poem was stunning in its simplicity. And 'ignite the stars' is a line that somehow just says 'Simlarillion' all over it, so it helps the reader to relate this very well to Tolkien's masterpiece. Good work. I loved it. :)