Reviews for when the world dangles by a thread
lazupri chapter 1 . 11/3/2012
Gah. This fic is like another of my favorites: so distressing and tragic, yet so beautifully rendered that I can’t help loving it.

The only part I didn’t like was in your author’s notes at the beginning when you mentioned Owl Creek, because that immediately told me what was going to happen. I think the emotional impact would have been greater had I not known. But I understand you not wanting to shock your readers into a ticker malfunction. ;)

I love that you interweave flashback and real time. It’s an effective way to make it seem like she’s hanging off that ledge for an eternity, which I’m sure is what it would actually feel like, but also remind us that she’s quickly running out of time.

My favorite thing you did was the juxtaposition of these two lines:

“And all you see is the desolation in his eyes when he emptied his soul for you, and you…you—coward that you are, stubborn, reckless fool that you are—you trampled his bloodied heart beneath your feet”

and

“Your last finger slips, and all you see is him. All you see is what could have been.”

Letting her see two very different final endings. Ugly truth vs. beautiful dream.

That you give her that last moment with him, even if only in her mind, makes it a little better. But it still hurts. Ouchies. Well done.
Skyknight1987 chapter 1 . 9/8/2012
This is awesome. I simply love the way you write...

-You're afraid of living.

Now you will die without ever having lived.-

Its beautiful. Any decent writer can portray happiness and love but I can count on one hand the number of writers on this site whose works I've read who have been able to portray grief and agony as well as you do.

-The world ends with the image of his blue eyes watering and so full of love for you.

You smile.-

Masterstroke!
muppet47 chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
Oh, this is really good. I love the part where she is cataloguiing all the times he has saved her, and this bit is so beautiful:

"There will be no one cradling your stunned and bloodied body like it's the most precious thing in the world and keeping you fettered to the world of the living with those beautiful words I love you, Kate. "

Nice take off on Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge. I wrote a fic last summer about Kate's shooting that started out as the same thing, but ended up more of a "what if" scenario, but I really love the idea. :)
Deb838 chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
O.M.G...

That was amazing... (yes, I know it's been used before, but it's true).

You brought tears to my eyes before the end of the first paragraph.

And this...'And all you see is the desolation in his eyes when he emptied his soul for you, and you…you—coward that you are, stubborn, reckless fool that you are—you trampled his bloodied heart beneath your feet.' ...I just have no words.

But the icing on the cake that broke my heart... 'All you see is what could have been.'

ringsofakhaten chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
This was...amazing. There are no other words to put. Just amazing.
Lizicia chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
This was very heartbreaking but also very good. I loved the way you wrote it - slow, cautious, intense and so full of everything. Her mother's case, the things it's done to her, how she loves him (the flashback - so so good), how many times he's been there to save her from ther world and herself. And even if it ends in tragedy here, I can't even be upset over this turn of events. I guess you wrote it in a way that made me accept she's going to fall (and how it will break him - ohgodhowgood) and it's glorious in its devastation. Let's just hope it won't really happen nor end in a cliffhanger where we don't know whether she falls, 'kay?
tfnmal23 chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
Gosh this is magical and I could live with this ending. I will so look forward to fall.
olfactorius chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
Don't hide. This may be heart-breaking and not what people want to happen on the show (riiiight?) but it is also really, really great. Sometimes beauty lies in those sad, tragic things, like here, in your story. The style fits wonderfully, so does the language you use.

I really loved all of it, but most of all I love that you let her die with a smile on her face. It makes it more painful, but somehow, it also makes it okay (well...kind of).

Thank you so much for writing this story! Really, thank you!
thebiggestrcfan chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
i realy love this story but if iwere you i would hide cause it sounds like you just killed beckett :-D
Sumiko Mikazuki chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
Beautiful fic. You managed to capture Beckett's character so well. And the fic was in 2nd person, which is quite rare. There was just so much emotion in this and I loved how you contrasted the scenarios of her falling to her death and her running into Castle's arms.
Nemo30 chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
Loved it!
Keronshara chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
"Grab your pitchforks & torches men. We're going to go kill the Beast."

*yelled frantically* Wait! *spoken cautiously & with a tinge of fear - angry, crazy people might decide to attack for getting in the way of the target* If you kill the 'Beast,' then no more stories will be written. You don't want that, do you?

*muttered sullenly* "No."

*spoken firmly & confidently* So no killing & no maiming. The writer must be healthy enough to write more stories in the future.

*asks hopefully* "Can't I just hurt the writer's legs a bit, so writing is the only activity to do? Or maybe psychological torture because of the sad story?"

No. No. Leave the writer alone. And go put those pitchforks & torches away before someone gets hurt.

*whines* "I never get to have any fun! You always ruin it!" *storms off sullenly, causing the illusionary mob to disappear*
coffeeshopcynic chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
Care to come out of hiding so I can hug you for your brillance? I got super ecited when you said it was like "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce and it didn't dissappoint. Well done! I may need to go OD on fluff now but I loved it so much!
eyrianone chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
Well you'd better be hiding - that was amazing but positively EVIL. We would ALL die Monday night if this happened - and yet this was so amazing that it's totally going to stick with me until Monday is out of the way and I'm convinced it DIDN'T happen - and yes the caps are me shouting at you for being so twistedly brilliant.
cloisharley chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
So amazing but i will be devastated if they leaving us and kate hanging on a ledge until the new season. Pardon me but im just gonna go read something fluffy now...