Reviews for Dragon Eyes
Reima-of-the-Kells chapter 2 . 11/17/2013
I love the way you told the story from Smaug's point of view, giving him a backstory and the dragon race a culture with their own stories, as well as managing to capture his personality and explain how and why he got that chink in his armor in the first place. This was wonderful to read, thank you for writing it :)
Purestrongpoem chapter 2 . 1/9/2013
Good story in the dragon's perspective.
DoorbellSpider chapter 2 . 12/28/2012
A lovely tale! I particularly like the idea of the idea that the chink in Smaug's armor was caused by scar tissue. Well done. :)
DA Member Hogwarts chapter 2 . 6/5/2012
I loved this:) Such a creative story and with really breath taking and vivid descriptions, you are too good :)
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 2 . 5/26/2012
Excellent work, Chaos! I enjoyed this second chapter even more than the first. Once again, you use language beautifully, using great, strong words like “dilapidated” and “serrated”, while your imagery is really strong, as well. Reading this chapter was like watching a movie inside my head – I could see everything happening perfectly. You write the action scenes concisely, clearly, and excitingly. I particularly liked the imagery of the dwarves behind the main gate with Smaug blasting them with fire and swiping his claws at them while Thrain’s gold banner weaves through the dwarven army. These were some of my favorite sentences that I thought were particularly well-phrased or had particularly good imagery or both.

“The valley's great trees bent under the wind of my flight, and I soared into the biting mountain air.” – Truly great image. Not only can I picture the scene, but I can feel like I’m there with Smaug. I can imagine that biting mountain air. Plus, the sentence is well-phrased.

“My great scaly maw seemed to be alive with fire as the gates of the Mountain came into view.” – Again, I love this image as well as the words themselves. “Maw” is a great word, and I like the idea of the fire being alive.

“With tooth and nail I fought the hordes, smoke drifting from my snout all the while.” – Excellent action scene. It’s beautifully phrased, and I can totally see this happening. This sentence particularly struck me as having the elegance that I would expect from a dragon’s narrative.

“My laughter rolled like thunder in the air.” – I love the simile. If I recall correctly, it seems that in The Hobbit, Smaug is compared to thunder and lightening and storms quite a bit, so this fit into the spirit of the book. I can totally hear his evil, rolling laughter booming around the halls of the Mountain.

Once again, you portray Smaug wonderfully, as well. He’s so confident and arrogant, just like in the book, and I thought the part where he lies to the dwarves about letting them go free was spot on. Smaug is a tricky character in the book, and that part reminded me of when he tries to lure Bilbo into the cavern. And I loved seeing your explanation for how Smaug got his weak spot. Of course, it’s extremely ironic that he thinks it will be “totally insignificant in battle.” And it’s cool that the dwarves did it to him, since it will be the key to the dwarves defeating him later on.

This is an excellent story, well-written, imaginative, and in character for Smaug. It was a pleasure to read. Keep on writing!

-Sauron Gorthaur
Sauron Gorthaur chapter 1 . 5/25/2012
Hello,

There are a lot of things that I like about this story. One is the pure creativeness of telling the story from Smaug’s point of view, and I always love reading a story from an anti-hero’s eyes. Two is the language itself, which is quite good, and three is your portrayal of Smaug himself.

This is the reason I’ve always enjoyed reading and writing AUs – they give you interesting opportunities to play with backgrounds and characters. You take full advantage of this AU by coming up with the entire Dragon society, as well as turning this into a revenge story: Smaug’s revenge story against the Dwarves. I loved the description of the dragons delving out Erebor for jewels by using flames – very cool. And it was interesting that you’ve made the dragons very social creatures in essense, in that the worst form of punishment for them seems to be banishment. That put an neat twist on Smaug’s coming to Erebor, that he’s there to show the other dragons that he’s better than they are, even though they banished him.

Your writing style is very elegant, which fit with the Tolkien fandom setting and with the character of Smaug who is telling the story. I loved the frame sentences about the snapdragons, especially that you brought it back at the end. It is ironically fitting indeed, as Smaug says, and it worked well. Overall, you use language beautifully and skillfully. Your sentence structures are generally complex and varied, which makes the reading engaging. Plus, you have some very beautiful passages invoking imagery in a very dragon-ish way, like this great sentence: “Flapping my crimson wings, I soared through the falling-leaf-time air, over coiling dragon-tail rivers and dark, inviting forests.” As your story title suggests, the reader really does get to see things through dragon’s eyes, in this passage and all throughout the story.

You’ve done a great job as well with the character of Smaug and showing his personality from The Hobbit, even though he’s younger here. As in The Hobbit, Smaug is clearly very vain in this story – I noticed that he’s continually commenting on his “gleaming scales” and “exquisite claws”, which is in character for the Smaug that Bilbo manipulates with flattery in the book. It’s also ironic that Smaug mocks the dwarves for thinking “too highly of themselves” when he himself is very vain and will eventually be destroyed because he gets overconfident. His pride, which is also in character, is also evident in the way he refuses to whine before the Wyrmking like Karr does. Smaug is also characteristically cruel, in the way in disgraces Karr as he leaves in exile and in the way that he seems to have no regrets that Karr is banished and that he helped to kill a wyrmling. And again, it’s quite ironic that Smaug mocks Karr by saying “Weak scales for one so proud” when Smaug the proud will eventually be killed because of HIS weak scales.

Good work on this chapter. This is a cool idea, and you’ve done a good job with it. Keep on writing!

-Sauron Gorthaur
DarkJackal chapter 2 . 5/20/2012
Good lord, that was an incredible description of the takeover of Erebor. I really don't know whether to cheer or cry.
DarkJackal chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
Well crap! Now I have to feel sorry for Smaug! How is a dwarf lover supposed to deal with the news that it was actually a dragon home that they took over. Don't worry, I'll cope...

Lovely description of the dragons delving in their own way to extract gems with flame!

I think this a fantastically creative start on Tolkien fanfic. You are really thinking outside the box (before there is even much of a box to think outside of!)