Reviews for Sanctuary
Guest chapter 3 . 5/2/2014
A cute story, but not fitting for a settlement of survivors on the hunting planet. It's more like a typical American city.
Sullen Gurl chapter 3 . 4/25/2014
I love you! Domestic/family AUs are a weakness of mine, so this new installment was such a treat. Fry being critical of her appearance and Riddick being critical of HIS was a touch of genius. Thank you!
Pfunkmalfunkshun chapter 2 . 4/24/2014
Sanctuary Chapter 1, a pitch black / riddick fanfic FanFiction

A/N: this is for you, hayj, not an update, but a sequel, because it wouldn't let me be!

Translation: I 'jacked hayj's wonderful crossover Only fools are enslaved by time and space and wrote sort of a sequel to it, featuring the Riddick kids (Jack, Marcus, Richard, Zoey) and Isabelle and Royce's Carrie and Mason/Mace. Nicknames are my own, the world is hayj's.

Synopsis of "Only fools…": Riddick, Carolyn, Royce, Isabelle and others are stranded on the alien game planet. Instead of being hunted, they become part of a Predator social experiment under the watch of the resident Pred, Bob. This is the story of their offsprings many years after the end of Only fools…

- The children of tomorrow –

There was no possibility of escape, no chance of survival and as Marcus twisted his father's big hunting knife in the tender flesh of the deer-like creature in his grasp, he couldn't help but feel a strange sort of sympathy towards his catch, as if some part of him resonated with the anguish shining in the dying animal's eyes. It wasn't the biggest thing he'd ever caught in the domesticated jungles of the Sanctuary House Residential Complex – as Varro had so lovingly named the compound because he was a notorious sucker for attributing some type of pseudo-deep-shit meaning to the world around him via equally psycho-fuck denominations – not by far, nor was it the easiest to ensnare, but his mother had wanted something light for dinner. Watching the warm blood gush from where he'd nicked the sweet spot, Marcus heaved a deep sigh and wringed the animal's neck for good measure.

The world around him was quiet. And what a restrictive world it was. Though it seemed thick and in some parts, the greenery was so green as to look positively dark, the jungle near his home was not as wide as it was long – circling Sanctuary House like a perfect steel trap – and then tightening in a single cord that connected Marcus's world to a vast and never-ending ocean, across which only his mind could travel. And Bob, of course, if he could get his heavily horned head out of his alien shit hole and call down a sweet Pred ride over the green-blue expanse of water and through the planet clustered skies. And then space… of which Marcus's mother sometimes spoke off, when he'd been particularly good. She told him mostly of the darkness and coldness of space, but in his mind, space was infinite and therefore knew no borders. Marcus lived a deeply caged life, he thought, and he had no tolerance for it. Never had. He'd slept with all doors and windows opened ever since he was old enough to claim his own bedding. And most of the times – for his home knew no harsh winters and only mildly pluvial autumns – he slept outdoors, his eyes ever fixed on the stars – lumbering moons and slowly revolving planets.

"Yo."

Marcus twitched, but didn't answer. He hoisted his prey onto his strong, broad shoulders and turned for where his home was, carefully sidestepping his younger sister. Marcus had an older brother, Jack, and a younger one, named after his father. But the youngest of the Riddick children was a girl, three years and a half his junior and one – one! – centimeter taller. He loved her most of all. Not because she shared his colouring – their skin a permanent tan and their eyes blacker than that of their pansy blue eyed siblings – but because she shared his soul, his dreams, his hunger for freedom. At 15, Zoey was the absolute slave master, the final boss of the Riddick household, tall and fierce, unbending, unyielding, unless you were packing some serious buttercups. And by Bob, the girl could eat. Couple o'years ago, around the time of the last drop, a woman came by, the out-of-place, out-a-sort type, that gave half the compound food poisoning. A convicted nut case that one, but a brilliant chemist nonetheless, she taught Zoey how to "bake", on account of his baby sister's immunity. Zoey was magical, she said and the kids had laughed for days and days. But Marcus had waited – patiently – until the night he had pushed the woman's dead body down into the river and out into the sea. His sister had always been a quick study.

That night, Marcus had realized that the two of them were of a different stock to the rest of the kids in their generation. Their father too had looked at them with a queer glint in his shifting eyes. But he had said nothing, opting instead to take Marcus out with him on his regular runs and when Zoey had been old enough not to upset Mama anymore by her prolonged absence, her too. Marcus knew he also took Jack hunting as well, but in his brother, Marcus thought, his father had honed a different set of skills. Jack had always been the little man of the house, so, naturally, he could provide food and shelter for his family. He could provide warmth and affection. He could provide strength. Marcus, on the other hand, he just liked to kill his prey first and think about food later – Zoey was a bulldozer, she liked it her way.

"Thinking deep thoughts there, big brother?"

Lately, Zoey had gotten better at this whole stealth thing. Secretly, Marcus harboured the notion that she might have bullied Bob into showing the tricks, 'cause the big alien was such a softie for Carolyn's female offspring – but he didn't dare say it. He knew better.

Marcus shifted a little bit under the weight of the night's supper and smiled at his sister.

"Marcus."

"Yeah?"

"Fuck or fight, man. You're creeping me out!"

Chuckling, Marcus shortened his stride so he was walking side by side with Zoey.

"You're barking off the wrong big brother, sis. Jack's the one screwing around, not me."

"He's pining after Carrie, bro. Show some consideration for your jilted brother."

Marcus had also pined after Carrie. And for a long time too. But he had been younger then. Still, his traitorous heart had stuttered the tiniest bit when Carrie and Jack broke off not even a month ago. Not as much as he thought it would, though.

"Don't worry, he's getting enough consideration from the Vargas girls. And their cousins."

Zoey snorted, "My brother – the family man!", and the two of them started laughing in earnest.

"Easy there, you two! That's our dinner you're jiggling there!" their mother called from the yard. She had the spit all prepped up and waiting for Marcus's catch, the warm weather outside allowing for a table on the terrace. Her children had swept in the house along with the dusk, but even with her failing vision, she marveled at how alike they were, despite the age gap. Seeing them work in tandem – carefully disemboweling and cutting up the deer, one perfectly sized slice of meat at a time – reading each other's minds and covering each other's blind spots, their movements a hallucinatory display of skill and coordination, Carolyn Fry feels small and helpless, cowering in the shadows of monsters. She loves her children and is afraid of them all at once, because they are not entirely human – born on an alien world, with a glorified alien babysitter that shoots blades out of his wrist sharper than the shivs Riddick fashioned for them on their birthdays. Matching shivs for matching souls – two powerhouses with edges that cut when she tried to fit them in what was now her world.

"Mace came by while you were out", Carolyn starts.

"Yeah, what'd he want?"

"Royce wants to head out and stir that heard of wildebeests our way. He thought you guys might want to join'em."

"So, what did Jack say?"

"Jack's not here and Mace was asking for you!"

Zoey chanced a look at Marcus and thought she saw a stir. She'd have pushed, but even with her back turned, she could tell Mama was wrinkling her nose in disapproval. She knew where Jack hung out these days and if Zoey knew her mother well, she probably had Bob record the whole debauchery of it just so she could shove it in her father's face and accuse him of aiding and abating illicit 'acts of godliness', whatever that meant in their parents codified talk.

"Mace has been asking for you quite a lot these days. Could it be that he wants to make you his cowgirl?" Marcus surprisingly piped in with a stellar lack of humour.

"You mad, bro?"

"I'm a holding a knife, Zoey Bug. Go ahead, make my day."

"Put that thing away before I decide to hurt you."

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

"Can it, Richie B!" the arguing siblings yelled at their brother.

Richie snickered and swished a bucket of milk as he trudged good-naturedly in the yard.

"You guys are so funny. And by funny, I mean not. What's for dinner, I'm hungry. Hey mom, where's dad? Is Jack back from tapping ass?"

"Richard Brandon Riddick, I'll have none of that talk in this house!"

His mother was a pulsating blonde volcano stirring up tongues of fire.

"Sorry, mom…" Richie B bellowed from the bowels of the house.

"He took the bucket inside, didn't he?" Zoey chimed in. And right on cue, Richie casually walked out of the house, still swinging the bucket of milk and tread into the circle of fire his wild mother was tending to.

"Here you go, mom, the milk you asked for." He slapped a smooch on her cheek and pated her head reassuringly. "And don't worry, Jack should be done by now. He'll be as good as gold in no time, you'll see! Isn't that him walking his weary pompous butt over our way, right there?" and Richie B waved enthusiastically.

"Whore house, bro, is…that way!"

Carolyn promptly smacked him across his head, which only managed to widen her youngest son's semi-permanent smirk further more.

"Sorry, mom…"

Marcus remembered many a times when Richie B had walked away from a mother of scolding with a "sorry, mom…" and a smile at the corner of his lips. He'd developed wrinkles at the corner of his light blue eyes from all the grinning, and smirking and laughing that he did. His baby brother was a laugh. But in a good way. In a way Marcus knew he could never hope to be.

Carolyn was ready to pounce on her eldest when Zoey stepped in,
hayj chapter 3 . 4/22/2014
Sweet baby Riddick, I've died and gone to Valhalla. There are simply no words for the giggling, enjoyment this brought. You've taken this world and made it your own, Buttercup. *cheers*
Eternalis chapter 2 . 12/24/2012
You should continue this, I think, I like it! I have so many questions, you should make it more of a series. Like where is Sanctuary, and why is it so heavily guarded? What's on the other side of the ocean that was mentioned once? What is Bob? They don't seem to be human, what sort of alien are they? Yeah, anyway, I'll stop my rambling, but if you can, definitely continue this.
Hope K chapter 2 . 12/23/2012
Thank you for a great Christmas present! Needless to say I absolutely loved the story!
hayj chapter 2 . 12/23/2012
*Squishes you!*

So, just a few of my favorite things…..

(Ponders on Ari and Marcus) It’s always the quiet ones isn’t it?

I loved the insight into Zoey and have to wonder why all of her pet dogs died….And, I find myself a bit put out with Carrie.

I love how you’re fleshing out Sanctuary and this world that they’ve made for themselves.

And, Carolyn Two? Pure gold!

My heart broke at little Ari’s line, "But I don't. Even if I do grow taller, I'll never grow tall, like Zoey, or pretty, like Carrie. I'll always be scrawny. I won't ever be enough. I won't ever go hunting. I'll live my whole life here, I'll bed and breed and watch you leave. And then I'll die. Sooner than everybody else, cause of my sickliness, but I will have died long before that. I may just as well die tonight." Because, honestly, who hasn’t been mortified in front of a boy they liked at some point in time.

Only to turn around and laugh when he poked her in the forehead.

And this line.. “You've got the naughtiest mouth I've ever heard."And damn, didn't that sound like a compliment when he said it just right!….Is such a male Riddick thing to say.

Arianna beamed. Maybe for Marcus, she'd be enough. Awww, just freaking awww.

I loved Royce and Riddicks grousing back and forth at each other starting with “a very, very distant cousin,” all the way to “I got plenty of boys left, and your girls don't seem to mind all that much!" LOL!

I get the feeling little Ari might just be the smartest of the bunch. She instinctively knows that Marcus is protecting them from himself and that he’ll leave them one day. But I suppose that things aren’t set in stone, now are they?

And damn, if now I don’t need to go reread all the stories all over again :)

And a very Merry Christmas to you as well, Buttercup! *MWAH*
pie108 chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
Cool one shot thanks for writing it
hayj chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
OMG! I laughed, I cried, (I actually still have the sniffles) I clutched my laptop to my chest. Oh this is glorious!

You have done incredible justice to my fat little Riddick babies and taken them to places I would have never dreamed of.

Marcus following in his father's footsteps with Zoey Bug as his partner in crime? Wow, just wow. The one paragraph about Zoey being his hunter actually made a shiver run down my spine. I love how you can always bring out that dark side of people. I tend to lean towards sunshine and lollipops :)

Where to start...Giving the place a name for starters and seeing everyone through Marcus eyes was a great twist. Marcus' thoughts on Varro made me snort out loud. I can so see this.

Now I have the answer to whether or not their children would accept the fact that they were in essence trapped in this world or if they would feel stifled.

I love that Riddick recognized the "killer/predator" quality in these two children and that, as much as Carolyn loved them she was afraid of them. Can’t tell me she didn’t see that same quality in them that their father did.

Bob being a softie for Zoey. Hee! And the whole bit about Carolyn having Bob taping Jack and shoving it in Riddicks face? Priceless

Calling baby brother Ritchie B? Still laughing over that, and Carolyn taking a broomstick to their father for sitting back and watching.

Carolyn’s thoughts at the end are so bittersweet and I love that Riddick knows his wife so well.

While I realize that I’m probably gushing just let me say that I love your writing. Your words paint these incredibly brilliant scenes that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to match.

Honestly, my fondest wish at this point is that you give life to each of my babies. Does Zoey feel the same way about her brother as he does her? What about Jack? Is he jealous of the skills his father has given his brother and sister? All of these and questions and more need you!

But, if not, thank you for this. It was a huge compliment and I’m honored.