Reviews for Seinen Kakumei Utena
James Birdsong chapter 36 . 1/14
Good eight chapters
QQQQQ chapter 36 . 1/12
I like the idea of Akio ultimately trying to relieve the suffering and mistakes of this reality - it would certainly make sense, like in Evangelion with the Instrumentality project. I don't like when Akio resorts to defeating Utena in a mere fistfight after she appears to undermine his rationale; it would be better for him to just show her in her mind (somehow) that alternate reality to experience, or else it's like telling a depressive person "It's going to be better," with the words feeling trite.

I imagine Akio isn't obligated to include all the other characters in his new reality anyways - he's just mentioning better futures for them, so they'll go along. In that case, it would prove to be a satisfying finale for Utena to snatch that power from him, and truly make a fulfilling revolution - like the ending of RahXephon.

I'd be disappointed if the ending is just "No thanks to even using that power," because it would feel like a cop-out, tossing away the central promise that's driven the whole series (and this fanfic).
QQQQQ chapter 35 . 1/12
I have one minor quibble - why hadn't Akio considered transferring their current consciousness to the new reality; where they can keep their experiences while enjoying happiness in better situations?
QQQQQ chapter 18 . 1/11
I'm writing this review late at night, while your story is still fresh in my mind - also, I haven't been around Utena/Penguindrum's fandom for a while, so you'll have to excuse me if I flub some details.

In general, I like what I've read so far of your fanfic; I've always been meaning to get to reading it, but for the past four years, I've been preoccupied with other stuff, and admittedly, I was put off by the dense, verbose writing style.

All the characters from Utena ring true to me, and I enjoyed where you've taken them 10 years after the main series, still being like grown-up kids when the revolution didn't seem to go well as intended. I find it fascinating with your interpretation of Utena's childhood tragedy, when Akio Anthy actually caused her parents' death, as opposed to just being there in her grief - it just emphasizes how the two characters can be conniving.

As well, I feel a big buildup with the intertwining of the past and present [future] segments - where you get the Penguins involved with Akio's plot to control the future fates of all the characters. I like your own doses of surrealism btw, it seems to fit in very well with the show's whimsies.

Finally, Utena being a man, I have no comments about it.. besides that I feel (s)he should be channeling more new-found testosterone, and see her old friends in a new light ;)

I like the scope this story is covering, and one of your big strengths as a writer I would say is communicating your own vision while still keeping level with the show's fans. It's just I'm not really feeling this story emotionally - I'm reading it like I would a Sci-Fi story that's interested in hauling the reader along its delicate plot threads and ideas.

I'll read the rest of everything very soon, stay tuned.
BunnyHeartMedicine chapter 36 . 1/8
Oh my God I'm so on edge I can't wait for the finale
CelianAdellanie chapter 36 . 1/7
I'm at a loss for words. That is truly how intense this chapter is. The imagery, the symbolism, the meaning is torrentially splendid.
CelianAdellanie chapter 1 . 8/19/2015
I just reread chapter 35 and again experienced the awe this work inspires in me. Who will join me in reading chapters 1-35 over again before the final is posted, whenever it will be? Rally your soul swords!
CelianAdellanie chapter 35 . 5/19/2015
Oh my. My heart is literally, and I mean literally, racing right now. I can feel it thrumming. That kind of power is genuinely scary... all would be lost. *breathing fast* The tension build up here is intoxicating. Incredible second to last chapter. Very interesting metaphors. My favorite this time was the "inverted castle of an inverted prince". It sums up the core of Dios/Akio's being very well. And of course the rose turned into an apple. They are both in the Family Rosaceae. Somehow I forgot this piece of trivia. An interesting continuity indeed between the two series. Well done. You have attained the elusive sense of surreal realism integral to SKU and MPD.
Nanayamino chapter 35 . 5/19/2015
At last we get to see Akio's reason for his mega villainy. A Fate Train Transfer fixing every wrong he and Anthy had done since the fairytale past does seem like something Akio would want. Of course, as your treatment of Penguindrum's ending has shown, reality-alteration comes with the heavy price of precious memories being lost. Much like Penguindrum's Himari, Utena and Co. do not want to forget. Akio, on the other hand, appears desperate to erase the massive guilt he's been piling on through the centuries. And there lies the conflict of interest. You've given the upcoming Finale a very uplifting title, so I can only hope that the ending you've planned would be more sweet than bitter.
BunnyHeartMedicine chapter 35 . 5/19/2015
You updated again! And Yuri Kuma refs again! Omg Himari plz be ok and I love how Utena wasn't buying any if Akios buckshot keep up the good work
Guest chapter 34 . 3/19/2015
This may or may not be the most well-written Utena story I have ever read, but it is definitely the most well-plotted. Your expertise over the series clearly shows in your many subplots, and you have planned it so well in advance, that they all tie in neatly with each other. I also love how every scene you write serves to move the story forward. Seinen Kakumei Utena is canon to me. Thank you for giving this wonderful show the sequel it deserves, and I will be eagerly awaiting the ending.
CelianAdellanie chapter 34 . 3/18/2015
It all makes glorious sense now. It has been revealed. History is repeating itself, but I dearly hope this time the cycle will be broken. Wow. The masterful back story of Mrs. Ohtori and Kanae. The emphasis on the roles played, connected to the ideals of each individual. Utena's prophesied character development. Flowing syntax, sharp at all the right moments, that captures the element and feeling of SKU and MWP. Minimal spelling error. Might want to mention the characters at beginning of each segment (subtly of course.) Altogether superb. *Recommendation to Fellow Readers: Read while listening to duel themes. Epic!* Congratulations on another segment well done.
BunnyHeartMedicine chapter 34 . 3/18/2015
OH MY GOD EVERYTHING! Whats Akios reason, where's Himari, is Princess of the Crystal/Momoka gonna get out of those vines soon, OMFG EVERYTHING! And I really loved that thing with Kanae, Kozue, and Miki (especially with Saionji tearing up at it) I just can't wait to see what happens next and how this all unfolds
PhantasmusProdigium chapter 33 . 2/20/2015
just...so good. the best utena fanfic i've read so far. can't wait for the next chapter.
PhantasmusProdigium chapter 1 . 2/20/2015
just...so good. the best utena fanfic i've read so far.