Reviews for Seinen Kakumei Utena
CelianAdellanie chapter 39 . 7/18
Stunning. Mind blowing. This chapter had so many gorgeous, painful, wonderful scenes that I had to stop counting, and so much scintillating, piercing dialogue that I had to reread it to be sure I didn't miss it. Effervescent.
James Birdsong chapter 39 . 7/18
Excellent chapter!
penguindhc chapter 32 . 6/21
The way Himari braves the discriminating audience, with the Children of Fate and the Utena gang both showing up to help, is kick ass awesome. Even having become teddydrum mechas, Watase Sanetoshi is still every bit the master mindfucker he is from the show. Seeing him distract Utena and Touga with those cutting words during their battle induce the same chills I had felt when watching him in the anime. Making the Princess of the Crystal a princess something from Dios and Anthy's ancient past give the two shows a even tighter connection than before. This also explains why Momoka was so gifted with magic at her young age. Great characterizations for almost everyone. My only complaint is that Kanba and Shouma seem to be doing too little considering their importance to the story.
penguindhc chapter 25 . 6/18
Your take on what has actually happened to Kanba and Shouma in terms of the real world is very interesting. Society discriminating against relatives of criminals is canon in the show, but yours is the only fanwork I know of tackling this. Vague terms from the show like survival strategy and project m are now clearly defined as activist movements in this context. Good job on making sense of this wonderfully puzzling show, and for giving certain characters their moments of awesome. Having Himari join Double H as a Takakura to save her brothers is something I can actually see her character do. It is also good to see Mario being smart and in control now that he is free of the curse. My only gripe is that some Utena elements are still going over my head even after I have watched the show. Then again, that show is not the easiest to understand.
Your take on what has actually happened to Kanba and Shouma in terms of the real world is very interesting. Society discriminating against relatives of criminals is canon in the show, but yours is the only fanwork I know of tackling this. Vague terms from the show like survival strategy and project m are now clearly defined as activist movements in this context. Good job on making sense of this wonderfully puzzling show, and for giving certain characters their moments of awesome. Having Himari join Double H as a Takakura to save her brothers is something I can actually see her character do. It is also good to see Mario being smart and in control now that he is free of the curse. My only gripe is that some Utena elements are still going over my head even after I have watched the show. Then again, that show is not easy to understand.
penguindhc chapter 17 . 6/12
The dynamics between Himari, Ringo and Masako are spot on. Having them caught in that power struggle between Anthy and her evil brother makes for superb drama. Your Princess of the Crystal seems a little too theatrical, but she is difficult to get right. I knew coming into this story that you would have ascended extras, but boy do you give those minor Utena characters the spotlight. I do mean that in a good way though. Actually, I would like to see more of this side story. What you’re doing with that teacher seem interesting.
penguindhc chapter 12 . 6/8
I wasn't going to comment again so soon. But there's an amazing amount of Penguindrum stuff in this chapter, and I just want to talk about them. I like how you explain the magical happenings from both Penguindrum and Utena in logical terms. Here, willpower translates to magical power, so it makes sense that Momoka could be a magical girl despite her youth. I still don’t see how Numbers 1, 2 and 3 could be AI robots, when the show hints at them originally being real penguins. But that’s minor. It looks like this is where you’re bringing Ringo, Himari and hopefully also Double H into the story, and I’m eager to see how you will write them.
penguindhc chapter 11 . 6/8
As a Penguindrum fan, I had been putting off watching Utena forever out of disdain for its SJW fandom. Originally, I was only going to skim this for the Penguindrum bits. Then the excellent plot got to me. Your take on what could happen to Kanba and Shouma after the ending had me hooked, to the point that I actually started on Utena just to get a better understanding of your story. Penguindrum’s ending portrayed the Children of Fate losing their memories in a positive light. Your story calls it for the bullshit it is. Like Chida says here, without memories as foundation people collapse. Without their memories, Kanba and Shouma are hollowed out instead of fulfilled. They are not happy walking under their starry sky, but merely lost in the night. It is brilliant of you to have Utena’s Kozue reach out to the boys, and have Utena be orphaned by the subway attack. The worlds of the two shows blend so well together here, this reads like an official sequel instead of just fanfiction. So far, your story far exceeds my expectations, and I cannot wait to read up to the latest chapters.
QQQQQ chapter 38 . 5/5
This is the chapter where everything is really coming together - and where all the shared moments, the hardships, frustrations and desires precipitate into a wonderful ending. Especially when Utena loses faith in herself, before she sees Chu-Chu and finds the ultimate reconciliation with her doings, and beautifully kisses Anthy.

I think the Fate Transfer thing works fine in this context; Akio is not Utena - he can't come up with a new future for her, only she knows what her heart really wants with Anthy.

Go write on, I'm really looking forward to the ending.
CelianAdellanie chapter 38 . 5/1
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Incredible. Just incredible.

It's coming together so quickly and beautiful. All the symbolism, all the plot lines. Amazing work.
Glorious and exquisitely beautiful. This chapter was incredible. I can say no more.
James Birdsong chapter 38 . 4/30
Wonderful.
James Birdsong chapter 37 . 3/1
Excellent. I do mean that.
BunnyHeartMedicine chapter 37 . 2/19
OH MY GOD EVERYTHING! The Chuchu! The Parents! The Seen! I can only imagine what the next chapter tells
CelianAdellanie chapter 37 . 2/17
Heartrendingly beautiful... incredibly detailed... raggedly painful... This chapter is all of these. I salute you for this work. The connections drawn and the beginning of the culmination of the backstories is exquisite. I cannot believe how much planning this must have taken. Superb.