Reviews for Miles to Go Before I Sleep
Snarky64 chapter 14 . 8/29/2012
I very much enjoyed Snape's relationship with Hagrid throughout the story and giving Hagrid such a subtle understanding of your Snape. I thought the adventure part of your story was absolutely excellent, but confess my interest flagged after the trial - but that's not a criticism, more just not my type of fic at that point.

Nevertheless, a strong fic with good characters.
Snarky64 chapter 12 . 8/29/2012
Dawlish? "Unable to resist an Imperius curse" Dawlish? That's a surprise. But possibly not as much of a surprise as anyone going to see Petula Clark in 1998. Feeling quite surreal now. There's a lot of Americanisms in this chapter that stop the flow - mommy, graduating school (we don't graduate from senior school - only university/college has graduates in Britain) etc. I believe Bellatrix was some 9/10 years older than Snape, btw.

The transition in Snape here is too quick for me, I think, although ultimately it would be one I would want to see.
Snarky64 chapter 11 . 8/29/2012
Oh dear - that argument for binding Lupin never makes sense. Now if Snape had taken the Wolfsbane and thrown it forcibly down his throat, that would be sensible, but this "tied him up because he was about to transform" is just so desperate. If werewolves could be controlled with a simple incarcerous, they would be. Shame about that lapse in otherwise good logic to apologism for Snape's vengeful behaviour mixed with his honest motives. It's his petty unpleasantness that make him a great character. Not everything he does needs an apology. Never mind.

Malfoy's speech is a little too hero-worshipping for such a man and hit a bum note for me and I'm afraid I didn't follow the reasoning for the change in Snape's Patronus. I hope I'll pick that up later.

That are canon inconsistencies that are a little irritating: no mention of Draco's soul-saving etc. Also, was Snape's father a mill worker or a miner? The two seem to be interchangeable here.

I'm still enjoying the story, but it is in danger of losing nuance and subtlety that I find characterises Snape so well (IMO).

Apart from those niggles, I enjoyed the chapter and particularly the little scene with Marchbanks, and her Imperius-happy exam candidates.
Snarky64 chapter 7 . 8/29/2012
Excellent action-packed chapter. My jaw dropped at, "Obliterate!".
Snarky64 chapter 5 . 8/29/2012
Oh Luna! Quick thinking from Snape; I wondered how he'd explain that away.
Snarky64 chapter 4 . 8/29/2012
Poor Snape. Who would be the one person he wouldn't want to have a 'thing' for him. That would be McNair. *shudder*
Snarky64 chapter 2 . 8/28/2012
Great. Inventive and pacey. Just a note though: we really wouldn't say "automobile" - it's always "car". Very enjoyable.
Snarky64 chapter 1 . 8/28/2012
A really interesting start, and propostion. Snape's knowledge of the horcrux jarred a bit, but other than that, I really enjoyed it. Hurrah for Hagrid, and Kreacher is hilarious.
Iva1201 chapter 14 . 8/27/2012
I am so VERY HAPPY that you have decided to post this story here (((-: - I was asking you to do so about two years ago and - should you look at my profile - you will be able to see that I have recommended it to our fellow readers in its original location. But this version is so much better to read.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! (-:

(Also for writting it, sure. (-:)
OhShirleyUJest chapter 14 . 8/25/2012
Well written, with excellent character development and a delightfully twisty plot...

Thanks ever so much for sharing this with the strange and unusual online public. It was truely delightful.
shyfoxling chapter 14 . 8/21/2012
Plotwise I thoroughly enjoyed this one as well. But I wonder if you have considered having these stories Britpicked? It's a bit jarring to be going along enjoying the story and then see people saying things like "mom/mommy" and talking about having waffles for breakfast. It's a little strange because in many places you seem to have done fairly thorough research (such as about Pendle) and written thoughtfully and carefully, and then commit what look to me (admittedly a Yank) like such elementary errors of vocabulary. Anyway, on to Bottle Fame for me! It's a mark of how well done these stories are despite little flaws like that that I am reading so many long fics - usually I groan and moan about anything over 10k.
Kazza chapter 14 . 8/19/2012
Thank you for a delightful read. It's so refreshing to read a story with an adult's view of the characters and death eater society. I've added your story to my community, and hopefully that gets you story a little of the attention it deserves.
It was also interesting to read a teacher's view of how Hogwarts' approach to education could be improved. I'm a similar age to JKR and can see similarities in the teachers she describes to the ones I had here in Australia - at 14 years of age I even had a maths teacher very like Snape in character, and I discovered years later at a school reunion that he'd been a prisoner of war in Singapore in WW2 but was allowed to teach again without counselling (which didn't really exist back then). As an adult looking back I'm amazed that he coped with 40 14-year-olds (we had Big classes then).
Kazza chapter 2 . 8/18/2012
I feel very foolish that I've only found your wonderful story now. Excellent read so far
Saint Snape chapter 14 . 6/30/2012
Very enjoyable story.
thetimesurfer chapter 14 . 6/30/2012
Augh, so beautiful. I don't think I'll be able to read the other Snape fanfics out there after this... this is as nearly perfect and as similar J.K. Rowling as I've ever seen. Are you sure you aren't really her in disguise?
71 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »