Reviews for When the Fires All Burn Down
LokiMadz chapter 1 . 3/3
I'm doing a story on another site where Loki has mental condition. But it isn't Thor or the Avengers that have to deal with it until later on, it's a young woman with the same condition. If you'd like to read it, I can give you a link when it's up.
ninepen chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
Interesting look at everyone's opinions on this. I like that you pointed out (through Bruce) that these terms (like "insane") have a sort of "popular usage" and aren't all terms actually used in medicine/psychology. I recall my home state had only a simplistic legal definition of "insane": does not know the difference between right and wrong. And it's an interesting question for Loki - does he know the difference between right and wrong? Of course it's complicated by the whole ant-boot thing which has a *certain* amount of reality to it what with the whole "immortal" vs. "mortal" thing...but we know Thor doesn't buy that argument so it would be a tough one to sell. I think my gut reaction actually is he did not know the difference between right and wrong in Avengers, which would make him, according to my home state's criminal law, legally insane. Which is very interesting. I never thought about it before.

The bit about Loki having a breakdown intrigued me, too. Whatever anyone's interpretation (guess) about what happened to Loki between the two movies, a total breakdown is totally plausible to me. He can't catch a break, you know? And the ways in which he has "not caught a break" are so epic and life-altering... A serious look at Loki being mentally ill would be awesome...but I think most authors would have a tough time writing it well because you'd need to know a fair bit about mental illness and its treatment. (Presumably it will require, as in real life, more than a hug and an "I love you" from Thor.) So...why don't you write it? ;-) Even a short version, like just the breakdown you describe here, could be really interesting.
muddlingthrough chapter 1 . 8/15/2012
My take on the avengers was that Loki had been tortured by Thanos and leading the invasion was his best/only chance to escape. By losing he actually wins because he gets to go home, even a cell in Asgard probably looks really good.
Faith Altoire chapter 1 . 5/30/2012
*CHALLENGE ACCEPTED* I will write one for you, Mon Ami! I already have one planned.
Cynical Gummy Bear chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
Mental illness from deep seated issues with family and the world.

Ragnarok wasn't exactly a secret. Loki's own children would help destroy the universe. He was constantly hated/pitied by everyone around him. They expected him to be evil, and over time Loki reciprocated.

I like your little drabble thing. It's always refreshing to see character's depths revealed. Loki in particular has a lot of depth to him. This is nice :)

CGB
talk-ape chapter 1 . 5/17/2012
brilliant
Ynath Esrith chapter 1 . 5/14/2012
Interesting look into the reactions of the various Avengers to the (I think, well-founded) suspicion that Loki was more than a few fries short of a Happy Meal in the movie. I sincerely hope that the Asgardians make an effort to restore the balance of his mind/rid him of that mind-control device/undo the brainwashing, whatever. 'cause I started off really liking the character and it's deplorable what he was reduced to in the Avengers. Seriously, he was loony-tunes.
Juisa chapter 1 . 5/12/2012
I like this study of Loki's mind

Great job...God bless
CanisLupus4 chapter 1 . 5/10/2012
I like this very much; a similar thought has occurred to me.

I'm not much good with writing this, but I know someone who is XD. There's a non-Avengers-compliant fic exploring the idea of Loki visiting a therapist. That version of Loki is not as dark as canon, I think, but it does address his issues in an interesting (and alternately hilarious and heartrending) way.
Mermaid Ninja chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
Loki definatly suffers from paranoia.
VirendraLione chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
I enjoyed reading this immensely and i love reading stories empathetic to loki. I would gladly attempt to pen you a fic in which loki is mentally ill but i am not sure if i could pull it off...i would definitely need help with some of the psychology stuf... Anyway, keep up the good work! :-)
Flowing Tears chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
Really enjoyed this one. I like how every Avenger thought differently of how to deal with Loki. Especially Tony and Bruce, they, more then anyone, know the dealings of deserved punishment (Tony) or the simple uncontrollable mind disfunctionings… thingy (Bruce)

I have been playing with the idea of a totally psychotic Loki in the aftermath of the Avengers movie. Great minds think alike no? Sort of though XD. I just like that idea. Either that, or someone finding out there is someone else being boss over Loki and the being the push he needed to want to concur earth. Cause really… earth? Just to get back at Thor? I think Loki would be above that.

Love, Tears