Reviews for Hidden Motives
Poppy chapter 28 . 12/30/2015
I loved this story, it was well written with lots of unexpected turn and the relationship between Arthur and Merlin is perfect. The only minor problem I have is the Arthur should probably have at least the beginnings of a beard as I doubt slythe would have let him shave
polar lights chapter 28 . 10/7/2015
Since the series ended,,I've been looking for alternate versions.I hated not knowing what their relationship would be like after the reveal.I read so many fanfics but they were always too unrealistic or sentimental or uncharacteristic. But this...this is what I was looking for...The reactions and diologues fits so perfectly with both their characters. Its perfect to the last detail, the complexity of the plot, the hopelessness and the character reactions blended so is you sooo much. I can finally say I'm at peace :)
Drag0nst0rm chapter 28 . 7/1/2015
I see why this is in the Epic Wins community.
Serendipity989 chapter 28 . 4/25/2015
I liked this story a lot! Mostly because with the kind of story Merlin is, realism in some stories is hard. Like you'll fine across a story that they get in big trouble and find a handy dandy solution like pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Your story is much more realistic and much more enjoyable. Honestly, I kind of want to fangirl all over the story because it has all my favorite elements of one. Kudos 3 they are well deserved! :D
Illusions of Dreaming chapter 28 . 1/3/2015
Wow.
/Wow./
I'm speechless. Wow. It took me a few moments to collect myself before I could set about writing a review - but wow. (Apparently that's the only thing I can think of at the moment)
The emotions, the feelings, the comic relief - it's well written! I believe this is one of the most emotionally charged Merlin stories I've read so far! It had me on the edge of my seat anticipating the next chapter -thank god it's finished! I can't stand cliffhangers!- and not once was I able to predict what would happen next.
I guess I should start from the beginning. I read the summary of the story and clicked into it because I was curious how you're going to pull this plot out - it seemed quite difficult to narrate and honestly, I was expecting something that would be predictable and humorous. WOW. how wrong I was! It had me hooked from first chapter to epilogue and I couldn't - COULDN'T, stop reading! I'm utterly awed by how you manage to pull the plot out without sounding overtly cheesy or predictable - I honestly, didn't expect ANYTHING that happened in this story to happen!
It turned out way, way, way complicated than expected and that was amazing.
I can't tell you how much I love how you write emotionally charged scenes. You just seem to capture the emotions and feels just right - deliver the right punches and finish up beautifully.
There were parts where I was skeptical of - where I thought you might've missed a point or opened up a plot hole but nope! You've got everything in control!
Imagine my surprise when I read the author's note and you admitting the story grew as you wrote. But wow.
Thank you. Thank you for sharing your writing - I can't express how delighted and satisfied I am right now to have stumbled across this story. Thank you.
Now I shall head over to read your latest FF 3
too-much-inspiration chapter 28 . 11/19/2014
Nicely written and with far more twists and turns than I was expecting or even saw coming. This is definitely one of the better written fics I have been able to find and for something that started out as such a small idea compared to what turned out, it was quite impressive. I also greatly enjoyed your villain and found him to be even more of an authentic villain than the canon approach to Morgana and Mordred which always seems a bit forced. As far as reveals, you did a great job getting to the core of the issue and doing so realistically. That magic can be used for good isn't as much of a stretch of belief for Arthur as seems to often be emphasized in this fandom. The more important issue is that of trust and the lack thereof. For a bit there I actually thought you may have Arthur go through with firing Merlin, but I found your resolution of the issue to be realistic and satisfying. This is definitely one of the best Merlin fics I have found so far!
The Potters of the Future chapter 21 . 9/6/2014
Oh no this is not good.
oma13 chapter 28 . 8/5/2014
Read this awhile ago and just reread it. I just wanted to tell you that I loved this story. You are an amazing writer. I really enjoyed your other stories as well.
satomika chapter 28 . 8/5/2014
I'm happy that Lancelot is included here and it didn't bother me

On one hand, i was hoping for more Gwaine-action
He's my favorite knight, is all

Anyway, nice plot and all!
Goldleaf83 chapter 28 . 6/7/2014
This is a wonderful story, long and deeply satisfying in both its complex plot and its thematic exploration of the responsibilities of power—both the political power that Arthur has as Crown Prince and future king, and Merlin’s magical powers. The penultimate chapter, when the two of them work through the issues that divide them, is magnificent: the resolution to their differences that they finally reach is hard-won on both sides and totally convincing as a result. The final chapter does a really nice job in showing the longer-term implications of their resolution as well, while bringing both characters back into the place that they were in canon at this point.

The earlier chapters are also well done: the story sets up a complicated plot line in the opening chapters and plays with the identity issues in interesting ways that kept surprising me each time they turned up. The supporting characters are handled very well: Arthur’s relationship with Gwen is sweet and touching, despite being only a small note in a large piece, the knights’ unequivocal loyalty (especially Leon’s) to Arthur and Merlin is beautifully shown, and Gwaine is handled just brilliantly throughout. The complications of Gwaine not knowing Merlin’s secret, just when he’s needed for important plot actions, certainly require ingenuity from both Merlin and Lancelot and give the story an extra layer of suspense—and often some much needed humor as well! And I must mention the scene where Lancelot is caught between his loyalty to Arthur and his trust and loyalty to Merlin: it is exceptionally moving! Indeed, the whole story is superb, from start to finish.
Rabbit Pie chapter 17 . 5/1/2014
From a plot perspective, this seemed like the most likely outcome... but I really really was hoping it wouldn't happen! :D
Bookworm690 chapter 28 . 2/8/2014
I really enjoyed this story! It was well-developed, realistic, and very well-written. Thank you!
aGreatLoudThump chapter 28 . 1/10/2014
That was beautifully written! It was long, but I enjoyed all of it. And it makes me wonder how seasons four and five might have gone differently if Arthur had known…
Thanks for posting!
Someone chapter 28 . 12/19/2013
Wow!
Another great story!
I loved the plot once again (you are a genius), not to mention their feelings and thoughts throughout, and who cannot love the banter between merlin, arthur and gwaine?! XD
Well done on another story, can't wait to read the next one! XD
Elaine du Lac chapter 22 . 11/16/2013
This is a difficult story to read. I find myself dreading the next chapter's events.