Reviews for Before the Dawn
RandominatorOwl chapter 1 . 4/5/2015
I like it!
El Reino chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
This is the point where I shamefully admit that most of the fanfiction I read is firmly in the romance genre and only occasionally do I look at character studies. Thankfully, I was not disappointed at all by this one. It's far too easy to buy into the hype surrounding Tony's supposed heart of stone (of iron? Ouch, bad pun.) I did not realize I saw Tony as too good to fall into moments where he was not so stupidly self confident til I read this. Your story helped me see Tony as a human with really human moments of inadequacy.

On another hand, writing style wise, I really like yours. Not only did your voice sound like Tony's (if not a little melancholy), you managed to choose very purposeful words. Like "Tony stopped listening to Captain America stories after that." That and the next sentence was enough to suggest Tony's disillusionment with Cap and Howard's obliviousness.

Okay, I'll stop gushing haha. Thanks for writing!
EL R.
killing u with umbrellas chapter 1 . 10/22/2012
Loved it
KrisEleven chapter 1 . 8/9/2012
I liked it. The idea was good, and I thought you captured Tony's voice well, and brought together a lot of different elements into one story.

I thought his father was too harsh to be believable. What we see of him, he is a driven, busy, brilliant man who Tony never felt connected to. But: "Take that garbage off! You're no Captain America, and you never will be!" to a seven year old on Halloween goes beyond that and I can't see it being said. It felt false.

Tony's thoughts on the team were excellent, and I loved the ending.
forgetmenotjimmy chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
oh poor Tony! Would love a conversation between Tony and Steve or something from Steve's POV, nice one!
:D
rivendellelve chapter 1 . 6/19/2012
Well written story. I think Tony really is kept in-character
Dominus Trinus chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
I know I should NOT be reading an Avengers fic, especially when I haven’t even watched the movie yet. And I’m still not sure how I ended up in the Avengers section when I was browsing Charmed fics 0.o but I did, and the writing just snared me in that I ended up reading the whole thing and now reviewing it to let you know I ended up reading the whole thing :-D Brilliantly done.
RayenOfDeadStarsAndPlanets chapter 1 . 5/11/2012
This was amazing! Poor Tony! -huggles Tony-
superkim111 chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
"Take that garbage off! You're no Captain America, and you never will be!"

That even made me wince.
Red Tigress chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
Looks complete to me. I loved it. Spot on, I thought, especially when Tony was thinking about why he couldn't hate Rogers. The whole thing was just brilliantly executed.
PinkRangerV chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
Since I already squeed at it over Gchat, I'll go into a bit more detail...

The relationships here are *seriously* giving me Tommy\Jason vibes, like I said, but there's aspects that are purely Iron Man, too. Watching Stark's defense mechanisms waver is beautifully done. Watching *why* they're wavering is almost painful.

Overall, this is just *beautiful*. It's like reading an expert author's work, and certainly displays the technical aspects of a masterpiece. Great job. :)
Sara Wolfe chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
You wrote Avengers fic! (and I can't type worth a damn, but since when is that news?)

iWhy is he thinking such melancholic thoughts, anyway?/i

Because he's Tony Stark, and self-flagellation is what he does best.

iand every character trait Tony should have had, but didn't./i

See what I mean? What is it about us that we adore a character who is known, in canon, for having no self-esteem, and the self-preservation instinct of a lemming when it comes down to a choice between himself or someone else?

iTake that garbage off! You're no Captain America, and you never will be!/i

Oh, Howard, you're such an ass.

iBig man, in a suit of armor. Take that away, and what are you?i

I haven't seen the movie, yet (I know, what am I doing reading spoilery fic, then?) but, did Steve serious say that? I kind of want to slap him, right now.

iMaybe not much, but – no/i

Ow. Just ... ow.

iBecause Steve Rogers looks at him the way Howard Stark used to. With disappointment./i

la la la ... can't hear you! *Sticks fingers in ears and sings* I think after this, I'm going to go find some nice, fluffy Steve/Tony fic to heal the big hole you've been punching in my heart.

i"You know me too well, JA.R.V.I.S. Also, why don't you own the blueprints for the Helicarrier yet?"

"They are highly classified documents, sir."

"And?"/i