Reviews for Paid in Full
Nankai no kyoufu chapter 1 . 4/13/2013
Good bit of writing there.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
Sorry, I should have said I limited my research to British women! Constantlearner
constantlearner chapter 1 . 2/21/2013
Mother - I've been doing my own research on women in WW2, and there were plenty of young married women in various services. (not just in nursing roles.) Towards the end of the war a reasonable number of them were posted abroad, and not just in Europe. Women with children under 14 might be excused war work/work, although plenty of them did work, either directly or indirectly helping the war effort, and school dinners were seen as a way of helping free up women for this. So assuming Susan is not pregnant and has no small child/children, yes, she could have been there. There were of course plenty of people at the time who thought women shouldn't work, be in the services etc. some of whom quoted pregnancy rates for women in the services as an example of the immoral influence, quite forgetting (or conveniently failing to remember and mention, depending on your degree of cynicism) to mention quite how many women in the services were married! If you've come across one of these sources I can see how you might have been misled. The pregnancy rates for unmarried women in civilian life was in fact higher than for unmarried women in the services.
Mother chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
Were married English
women nurses in Europe during WWII?
Jen4850 chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
You do very well with war stories, I am impressed.
Fergus Mason chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
I really enjoyed that, thanks. Combat casualties are a big issue again today and it's good to see some sensitive writing on the subject. Just one thing - British NCOs are addressed by their rank, not Sir or Ma'am (except for Warrant Officers.) I made it to Sergeant myself (not without the odd step backwards on the way!) and if anybody had called me Sir I'd have given the traditional reply, "Don't call me Sir, I work for a living!"