Reviews for The Steward of Hanbury
CatherineJosephineMarie007 chapter 9 . 11/15/2012
I love this- an excellent addition to the Cranford fic community!
CJM
GeneHuntress chapter 9 . 8/20/2012
Many apologies for the lack of recent reviews - it seems some of my alerts have been playing up :(
This is such a lovely fic. The characterisation is spot on and I've found myself falling in love with Mr Carter all over again. Not difficult, I know. *sigh*
Looking forwards to more soon.
Siggy chapter 9 . 8/19/2012
Wonderful story, pacing, characters and dialogue are all spot on. A delight to read.
sash queen of the jungle chapter 9 . 8/17/2012
Oh what a sweet chapter. Loved then teasing/amusement they get from each others discomfort. Cant wait for the wedding. Please update more soon.
Katie Duggan's Niece chapter 9 . 8/17/2012
This is such a rich chapter that I almost hesitate to start this review for fear I won't touch on all the things I loved about it. But firstly there's the reconnaissance conducted by village spies Miss Pole and Mrs. Forrester, Miss Pole's improved opinion of Mr. Carter, that lovely scene in the office when Harry (most forgivably) puts Mr. C. on the spot, and the conversation with Miss Matty and Mary Smith.

In fact I particularly appreciated the reappearance of Miss Matty and Miss Smith, and the references to Jack Marshland (who lives to fight another day) and Deborah Jenkyns (gone but not forgotten).

I was surprised at Mr. Carter's choice of a Valentine's Day present, but it was a canny one. And I liked his declaration that he'd rather marry Laurentia straightaway.
Guest chapter 8 . 8/1/2012
Many apologies for taking so long to catch up with this excellent fic - although it was lovely to hunker down and enjoy so many chapters at one sitting, I must admit.

Well observed and beautifully written - hoping for more soon. And hopefully the alerts will work properly this time round! :)
green dame chapter 8 . 7/23/2012
Aaaaawwwn! Poor ! Lady Ladlow gave him a fright! lol
But I'm so happy for them! Please update soon!
Guest chapter 8 . 7/22/2012
Well written chapter. Not sentimental, but I did have a smile while reading.
sash queen of the jungle chapter 8 . 7/22/2012
Bless Harry.. Well that is good news. Can't wait to read more and find out the wedding plans and dates.
Katie Duggan's Niece chapter 8 . 7/22/2012
Oh, you started off the chapter with some worrying news about Lady Ludlow's health (worrying to me, that is; she's all stiff upper lip).

Speaking of stiff upper lips, your depiction of Mr. Carter in this chapter was just wonderful. He is, above all else, a serious, blunt, reserved man...except when he is alone with his affianced bride. And now Harry's caught on. I like that too.

Still, there's a great deal of heartbreak here, despite the happy news and promising developments. I'm intrigued and eager to see where you take this next.
Katie Duggan's Niece chapter 7 . 7/15/2012
First, on the darker aspects of the story: The account of Edward's first wife death is realistically and appropriately bleak, and all the more heartbreaking for that.

Speaking of realism, it's fitting that you refer again to Mr. Carter's handicap.

As to the lighter elements of this chapter, I like it that you have opted to call Mr. Carter Edward rather than Edmund (Apparently the Cranford crew/BBC never made up their collective minds about that one, and Mrs. Gaskell never gave Mr. Horner a Christian name).

I didn't see the snowball fight coming, and neither, evidently, did Mr. Carter.

Love that reference to Miss Pole's and Mrs. Forrester's upcoming assault on the Galindo parlor.

And Miss Galindo in the closing sequence was fittingly pert and provocative.
Siggy chapter 7 . 7/15/2012
A wonderful chapter! You've fully captured the characters of Mr Carter and Miss Galindo as they tentatively come to terms with their new relationship. Gorgeous.
sash queen of the jungle chapter 7 . 7/15/2012
How sweet and romantic. But laurentia is very pleased for the kiss. :). Thanks for update can't wait for more.
Guest chapter 6 . 7/6/2012
! He did it! lol
Well, if we have to wait to read about happily ever after at least now we know there will be one! thank you very much for finishing the chapter the way you did!
Katie Duggan's Niece chapter 6 . 7/6/2012
I am fairly reeling from this turn of events, not because it was totally unexpected but because it came about so quickly.

That said, I always did believe Mr. Carter would require a little push to make his intentions clear, and that Miss Galindo would be more adroit at handling him than the reverse.

And for all that I'm highly interested in the relationship between Mr. C. and Miss G., I want to know what you have brewing for the rest of Cranford, since you've taken care to reacquaint us with the lives of other Cranford characters.

Have a good journey, and I look forward to reading more.