Reviews for The Weakest Link
Freedom-is-key chapter 27 . 2/18
Oh please finish this.
This is so well written.
Bridget chapter 27 . 1/3
This. Is. Fantastic. The characters are well developed and wow, can you write . Horrifically gruesome, yet satisfying.
LatviaisBae1 chapter 27 . 12/16/2014
Holy crap you need to finish this or I will die! PLEASE!
I mean, only if you want to, but at least try.
UPDATE chapter 27 . 12/7/2014
Please update soon? Otherwise I will assume FLETCHER KILLED EVERYONE and be very sad. Update?
AshesOnTheWind chapter 10 . 11/29/2014
I feel like Fletcher's obsession with Latvia is because he's actually Russian...
Guest chapter 27 . 11/2/2014
PLEASE UPDATE PLEASE THANKS I'm pathetic. Anyways UPDATE PLEASE?
ScourgeFanatic101 chapter 11 . 10/16/2014
This is nearly as heartbreaking as hetaoni *sobs*
Shadows in the Light of Day chapter 13 . 10/2/2014
Wow. I had been looking for a fanfiction like this for absolute ages, but I had never, ever expected to find one. And I did! And this is truly brilliant! It's already an hour past my bedtime, but I can stay up a bit more and try to finish reading, because I'll never sleep if I do go and try.
This is...this is chilling. As someone who has tried (and failed) at writing torture fanfics, and has a bit of an obsession with them, I have to say this is one of the best I've ever read. Heck, this is one of the best fanfictions I've read overall.
I have to say that the Iceland/Latvia thing caught me off-guard, but, you know, I think I like it as a pairing now.
And, because I'm known for finding pleasure in creepy places, I have to say that I also like seeing how all of the captured nations are reacting. Especially Estonia. I find him hard to read in general, but I can definitely see him reacting this way.
I just hope they can all be rescued with their sanity semi-intact. With that said, off to the next chapter.

Shadow
Sodamawesome chapter 27 . 9/26/2014
senorita, please update! I will give you seven whole potato!
Tsubasa chapter 27 . 9/6/2014
O.O
I hope you update a new chapter soon!
eggywaffle chapter 11 . 9/1/2014
Perkele does mean fuck btw. I am 100000% sure.
Guest chapter 27 . 8/27/2014
this is My favorite ongoing fic right now. also, i'm in the process of making a tv tropes page for it, so keep an eye out!
Master-Mercury chapter 27 . 8/7/2014
Wow, I can't even describe how much I adore this story. I came across it last night while looking for stories with Iceland in it, was curious and began to read it. I don't normally read such long stories - I'm more of a one-shot person because sometimes longer stories can make me lose interest later on; this story was completely different and had me hooked from start to finish! After each chapter, I wanted to know what would happen next, assuring myself that it couldn't get any worse for the boys, even though it always did. I've never been so hooked to a story before, not even the books I read years ago that I used to convince myself I was obsessed with. This fanfiction was amazing!

By no means am I an expert on torture fanfictions, and I can't honestly say that I've read any like this before, but this was executed perfectly and was written with just the right level of descriptions.

Although not an emotional person, I felt moved by many of the events in this story, such as Sealand and the dog. The characters are personified so well in this story, better than in any other fanfiction I've read, and I was extremely impressed by how well you wrote minor characters and made them seem so real. Iceland is the reason I came here and also the reason I stayed because he was written so well, and I mean that with all my heart. He has been my favourite character for a while now so I have read my fair share of fanfictions featuring him and I must admit that this is the best out of all of them. He barely has any screen time in the anime so I have learnt from writing him myself and from seeing other authors attempt to do the same that he can be hard to write when there's practically nothing to go off in the series (I think I'm exaggerating a little, but you know what I mean). This story shocked me that he was written so well and that his character was developed in a way that the few appearances he made in canon could not show.

I also have to thank you for portraying some of the side character so well like Lithuania, Finland and Russia. A lot of authors in the fandom have written very bad characterised versions of Russia as the angry, abusive guy who only find pleasure from beating the Baltics half to death. I really enjoyed seeing the regret he had in his actions in the past, and him feeling bad about what he did, because not enough people realise that the country has moved on from then and that Russia wouldn't still act the same way (if he even acted like that) twenty or thirty years after that.

Now, Lithuania and Finland are also two of my favourite characters and I cannot thank you enough for writing their reactions to the videos in such a way. I genuinely felt sorry for the two of them watching their friends going through all of that, and it should be noted that people often tell me I have no empathy, especially for fictional characters. Seeing them and the other nations so traumatised by what was happening to people like themselves was devastating but it made them seem like normal people. Many authors, such as myself, have trouble trying to make characters act like normal human beings rather than people in fiction, but the nations acted and behaved like humans, even though they aren't human. The villains are also so believable and are really expressed well in your wonderful story.

Once again, a huge thank you for writing such a well-written story featuring some of the series' minor characters as the stars. I read all of this in less than a day because I was that into it and because I really wanted to reach the end in the hope that things would get better for the four nations (Sealand is practically a nation now with all that he's been through in this story). I'm probably going to read your other stories now since this one has shown me the high-standard with which you write; I really enjoyed reading this and look forward for more!
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 27 . 8/5/2014
Thanks for posting this, it's helpful! (Also, ten weeks ... the poor, poor nations :C)
Obiwanlivesforever chapter 26 . 8/5/2014
Before anything else, I just have to say – you put my picture as the title page of this story? Wow, I’m so touched! :D This might seem overdramatic, but it’s seriously an honor to have my artwork be the cover for such an amazing FanFiction! Thank you so much!

As you said, the plot of this chapter was different, but I think it was a welcome and well-paced change. There’s nothing wrong with a break from the torture, and it’s great to see how the leaders of these countries are reacting to all this. It lends a real-world seriousness to the story, which was of course already extremely dark as it was. It’s also nice to see some of the leaders (Tarvas and Jansons) sticking up for their nations, though I wasn’t expecting Iceland’s PM to be such a bastard. How dare he suggest that Eduard and Raivis are weaker than the other personifications…
“I – we – grew up with Peter. He was like a big brother to us, when we were small. Then a little brother. And now a son.” That shines an interesting light on the constant fluidity of the relationships between the nations and the humans they care about (and even between nations undergoing rapid growth and nations staying around the same age, like with England and America in the one episode). It’s odd to think about the same person playing such vastly different roles throughout someone’s life, and how both parties would deal with that. In a way, the nations would be a constant, but in a way, they wouldn’t, because even though they stay more or less the same, those who perceive them are constantly changing. I know it’s just one line, but it really intrigued me.

HAUKSSON HOW DARE YOU. HOW DARE YOU BLAME RAIVIS. I’D LIKE TO SEE YOU UNDERGO EXCRUCIATING PAIN AND BODILY HORROR FOR THREE HOURS AND NOT GIVE AWAY A THING.

How did a man like Hauksson ever get elected, especially in a nation as progressive and liberal-minded as Iceland…?

I loved the “I have to keep appearances up” exchange between Hauksson and Jansons, implying that the former acts tolerant in public to please his people but is bigoted underneath, whereas Jansons acts more conservatively, again to satisfy the collective mindset of the nation, but is really more open-minded.

AAGGHHGHGH GOSH I HATE HAUKSSON OFFERING TO SACRIFICE RAIVIS FOR EVERYBODY ELSE.
“COMFORT?” YASSSS YOU GO TARVAS KICK HIS SORRY ASS

Oh no! What happened? Did Hauksson shoot her?

As much as I dislike the fact that this “unwritten rule” not to attack their own rulers always seems to put the nations in such trouble (case in point: America’s beating), I do have to admit it makes a lot of sense. I’m thinking of adopting it as a headcanon. (Out of curiosity, do you mean they physically can’t fight back against their leaders, or that it’s just a moral code they have?)

LAWRENCE WRIGHT YOU BIG FAT UGLY TRAITOR

I loved the scene with America going through his evil boss’ computer. It reminded me of the part in the first Iron Man movie when Pepper Potts downloads the villain’s plan off his laptop when he’s out. Very suspenseful! (Haha, I’m imagining what this scene would be like as an actual movie, that would be so awesome.)

Crowley has an agent in every country in Europe? Oh no, I had no idea the extent of the Sunrise Party’s power went so far! I was thinking they had maybe 20 people tops, but this is so much worse…

It’s funny; since I’m so attached to the main characters here, and since they’re the focus of the story, I’ve been seeing the Sunrise Party’s torture and abuse of them as not only absolutely irredeemable (which of course it is), but as the farthest they could go into depravity and evil. But now, however … they’re probably going to kill *millions* of people over the next few days – even more if Asimov doesn’t comply – which makes the four they’ve already mistreated seem like nothing. Of course, I’m not saying that the captives are insignificant, just that the Sunrise Party is even worse than I’d realized before. (Plus, they’re going about it so casually, too…)

I LOVE (in an evil way) the Party’s plot to make ‘better’ personifications. It fits in so well with all the themes you’ve already got, about the nations’ supposed ‘weaknesses’ and ‘flaws’ arising from their human sides. I don’t know how artificial nations could be made, but I feel like they’d be 100% nation, no humanity at all. They’d care about their own people and culture above everything else, but in a bad way – I mean, obviously most (if not all) of the existing nations have done this, but these nations would be like that all the time, never able to appreciate other people and cultures, unable to forgive past conflicts, never simply marveling in the joy of life. And at the same time, despite being fully nation, they wouldn’t be as good of *nations* as the canon characters, either – they’d hold up their own people/culture robotically, without truly loving them. The canon countries all have their flaws, of course, but they’d be so much better than these fake ones… Now I REALLY want to read a FanFic where the true nations have to fight the fake nations, and in doing so they all find their humanity or something… *Flails* I just really, really like this idea so much.

Poor Katya. :( I really feel for her; I can’t imagine what it would be like to be stuck in such a horrible situation. I suppose the most moral thing to do would be betray the Sunrise Party at the cost of her daughter’s life, but what mother can be expected to make such a sacrifice?