Reviews for Granite
straw8erries chapter 1 . 5/4/2013
this so lovely and delicate. you have
their characters etched out in such a
small number of words, too — cute.
83567893564355788 chapter 1 . 6/24/2012
I've always had sort of an obsession with these kinds of one-shots. Y'know, the short, vague, what-I-think-is-metaphorical ones. They're pretty much a guilty pleasure as I always search for them for every single pairing that just al happens to be my new obsession.

But anyway, I like that about this. How you portray their differing personalities so well in such a small amount of words.
ILikeShorts chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
I pretty much just play the games and don't really follow the manga, and this still made perfect sense to me.

Nice descriptions, and I absolutely loved the part about scribbled letters masked as battle challenges... somehow that just seems to fit Volkner so well. I do kind of feel like it ended just as things were starting to get interesting, though. I would've liked to see if they ever actually got together.
KarinNatsukawa chapter 1 . 5/14/2012
I've talked to you about this piece somewhere else when you were brainstorming it and I've told you that I like the basic idea of it, but this is even better! It's short, of course, but it has a very lovely, melancholic voice that I don't hear in your other writing. :DD

And and and CANDICE. Honestly, perhaps contrary to you I don't really remember the manga (even if I'm up to date and everything), but this seems like the kind of character Candice is, at least in my head. And VOLKNER's definitely like that, too - quiet and cold and all sorts of mysterious! So the confession, hurried as it was, makes sense. And Candice's reaction to it, too.

I think the winning coins in this one are your descriptions, though. They are vivid as always, so so lovely that I can just picture them in my head. AAAHHH I just love you.
Cjay chapter 1 . 5/13/2012
Ah, I miss your drabbles. Actually, I just miss you. :)

I'm not a big fan of Volkner/Candice at all, actually. Like you, I haven't met them in-game (I don't actually /have/ the game, so it's rather moot at this point) but I do read PokeSpec and from what I have read, this quite fits the bill. Your writing style is rife with metaphors and beautiful as always, and I just love the way you sneak in little descriptions or hints that there might be something more. I have to say, although I don't think I've seen you use future tense like that, in this case it quite fits! Thanks for such a wonderful reading experience, no matter how short.

PS: Here's hoping to request things from you because I didn't get the chance to do so the first time! Do you think you might open requests again some time soon? No need to answer this, I'm just letting you know. :P
twilightsister101 chapter 1 . 5/11/2012
this was very pretty ;)
Neoshadowwolf chapter 1 . 5/11/2012
Erm... you could say I have mixed feelings about this one-shot.

First, I like to comment that I think the writing style is alright. It is somewhat descriptive but it seems lacking in potential depth. There isn't really any story to be told here but seems like a short note instead.

The whole CandiceXVolkner relationship is an interesting topic but it doesn't seem it is executed too well here. I like the subtlety of how the description describes it but there still can be more to be hinted at, know what I mean? We know they seem to have a thing for each other, with Volkner looking like he's trying harder to suppress it, but that's all we know. We don't really know how the relationship is, how much it has progressed, nor do we even see them interact that much. It all feels understated and can do a lot more to improve.

I notice you are using the present tense all the way through. Somehow, I feel this should be in the past tense instead because the writing sounded like she has left already and therefore the description that comes after was already in the past.

The last thing to address is the title "Granite". What is the significance behind it? Is it implying that they have a rocky relationship or the two come together like minerals composing granite? I really don't understand.

Overall, I feel this one-shot has the potential of being better. It's not really bad but it's disappointing to not learn much in the end.