Reviews for The Longest Night
jcforever19 chapter 3 . 10/11
I came back to this story after years yesterday at 5am (I couldn't sleep, much like Jimmy and Cindy themselves!), and it still holds up. I actually ended up sobbing into my pillow during the confession argument chapter because I just felt so damn emotional. Having read this two times previously, I obviously knew how it would end and I still wasn't prepared in the least for the existential crisis this was going to induce.

A few years ago, I left a review saying the ending made me feel sad and empty. Which, believe me, it still does. Because there's no way he comes back after one mission, and no way to know what even happens in the time that he's gone. However, the open-endedness of it is exactly what makes it such a brilliant piece. It reminds me of the famous top scene at the very end of Inception, where it's left open to the audience to decide what happens after.

In my mind, Jimmy and Cindy find a way to be together. It's tragic they lost so much time, but I'm stubborn in thinking they will find their way back to each other. I don't care if Neutron is off saving the whole galaxy, he needs Cindy. Neither is complete without the other. I think Jimmy actually has it easier. He has these giant plans and worries larger than himself. Cindy has...the humdrum beat of daily existence to keep her occupied. I can't imagine finding joy in a college degree or other mundane realities of life after losing this kind of whirlwind love. What she did was heroic, but I don't see their choice boding well for her mental health. Which is why this time around I appreciated that Jimmy told Goddard to make sure she wasn't sleeping all day and was actually okay.

Of course, I also feel bad for Jimmy. But I'm not the kind of person who thinks dreams (even ones as lofty and noble as his) take precedence over love. In the words of a Lana Del Rey song I enjoy, "All the dreams and all the lights mean nothing without you." This story also made me think of a philosophy paper I read in undergrad called "Moral Saints." In that paper, Susan Wolf argues that humans cannot and should not take up saintly dispositions because it will strip them of the individual worth and valuable experiences that make them human in the first place. I can't help but feel Jimmy will become a legend...but at what cost to him and the people he loves? What's the point of doing all this heroic stuff out there...if his loved ones aren't around to share in the joy? (even with Warp-Mail) It made me wonder if Jimmy really is the kind of person who could plausibly give up his friends and family for science.

Anyways, the fact that your story still elicits such strong, dark heartache years later is just a testament to its timelessness. I hope you're proud today and every day that you wrote something so gorgeous. Here's to The Longest Night, with your 100th review!
jem098 chapter 7 . 3/20/2018
This is the greatest fan fiction I have ever read in my life. So much emotion, and the ending was perfect.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/18/2017
Good
salavibes chapter 1 . 4/23/2016
One of the best fan fics I've read about Jimmy and Cindy, honestly phenomenal job!
Rusty chapter 5 . 3/16/2016
I want him to drop out and run back to her.
Dark knight chapter 7 . 5/12/2015
With how good of a story this was it diserves a sequal and the sequal should be set 8 years into the future of them reuniting but overal this was a good story
renzie17 chapter 7 . 2/13/2015
I like it! I legit cried u_u
jcforever19 chapter 6 . 5/10/2014
I read this all over again, knowing what would happen, but man, that last line really killed me. I was so torn at the end of this piece. In terms of presenting the reader with an amazing story, this works really well because of the ending-in some ways I'm very glad he didn't 'chicken out' at the end because that's what gives the tragic element to this story and the wonderfully heroic aspect to Cindy's character.

However, as a reader, I was also rooting for him to stay behind because they had just discovered the potential behind their whirlwind romance and it breaks my heart that it will never come to fruition because he's probably never returning-at least not soon. For some reason, this felt like reliving the BBC Merlin finale all over again and maybe that's why on second thought, I have to echo my opinion of some of the other readers in saying that the story feels so empty by the end. In the BBC Merlin finale, there is a great deal of love and respect between the characters and things are revealed that hold a lot of weight, but the main characters all die and the only one left alive is Merlin, who is tragically immortal and lives until the present day waiting for an unlikely prophecy to come true and for his friend to return.

I get the same painful vibe from this story where Cindy will forever live her life waiting for Neutron even though it might as well be pointless. And yes, that tragic element is what makes it so beautiful and artistic, but after putting a reader through an emotional roller coaster and a heck of a lot of amazing romance, it just feels empty to know they'll never be reunited.

Anyways, that's just my two cents on the matter. I still love the story and it still managed to make me sob!
Jetshinsei chapter 1 . 11/11/2013
What a fic. I read it all in one go while trying to sleep, but I couldn't stop. You write the way I wish I could write, and I'm going to reread this to figure out why you're so much better than I am.

Incredible ending, by the way. I was so sure you were going to wimp out, but was pleasantly surprised that you went through with it. Going to read your other stories!
Sierra-Renee chapter 6 . 8/25/2013
Oh Goddard. Gotta love that son of a gun. I swear that's like the best friend you could have in life. What is he, an AI in dog form? Whatever he is, I WANT ONE.
Julez5150 chapter 7 . 4/16/2013
This story was truly amazing! It is the first time a fanfic story has ever made me cry...I can honestly say I sat there trying to figure out what to do with my life after reading that haha... But all I could think about was the ending and how well you captured both of their emotions! Simply amazing and truly one of the best stories I have ever read :)
Bjrit92 chapter 7 . 4/8/2013
I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with one of my biggest childhood OTPs all over again.
I dearly wish you would make a sequel to this...and yet, at the same time, I don't.
Spectacular story.
Musical Dream chapter 7 . 3/11/2013
This story is really beautiful. It really shows the strong love between Jimmy and Cindy, Jimmy willing to give up all his hopes and dreams for Cindy and Cindy willing to give up her happiness for Jimmy to fulfill his dream. I had tears dripping out of my eyes by the end and believe me it takes a really strong story to make me cry. Usually the tears never fall only two stories have made them and yours is one of them.
Makavelius Flavius chapter 7 . 2/15/2013
This chapter didn't make me sad as it made me more infuriated then anything else... I feel like all this romantic build up was essentially for nothing because I'm pretty much 99.99 percent sure that he's never coming back, and now that he's gonna go on all these missions and training, like that alien guy said it's going to change him to the point where he may not only not harbor feelings for Cindy but all of his friends and family, so even if he did actually return there would be no romance between them again, I also give Cindy 20 years, no wait 10, to essentially go crazy because he still hasn't returned, bleh some people like me want to know that at the end of the story all the progress that they made was worth something, instead it was all for not which is shitty, it's kind of upsetting to me when I see endings like this, anyways good chapters, just found the last one to be rubbish :/
blondee-boo chapter 7 . 12/3/2012
...I have no words to say. As I write this, my chest feels hollow and my lungs feel like they're running out of air. My cheeks are permanently stained with the large amounts of tears they drained out of them. My vision was blurred half the time I was reading this. Can be quite the bother, might I add. I am still sitting here, in this after-shock of one huge block of emotions, as I have been for nearly ten minutes now. Figuring out what to say, choosing what words to put together to get my point and understandings across. Everything is just a blank. As I read that last line, I broke. My night will go on like this, from what I can tell so far. I just wish that I can cope with a fictional character's broken love story. But, eh, that's something I do on a daily basis. Thank you for showing me this new type of emotion. Going off topic, I sorta feel like Sheen right now, feeling like I belong somewhere else, with other people just like me. But I'm still grounded since I have my 'Libby' here. Wow that was cheesy. Forget I said that, and just know that I am in complete love with this story.