Reviews for The Color of Lilacs
silentmusic16 chapter 13 . 8/10
All in all, this was a great story. The characters were written well, the plot tied up nicely, the actual prose was very good and I definitely felt a number of things reading it.

Good job!
Larkabel chapter 13 . 3/9
It's about time I reviewed this! I've been following this story for quite a while and not once have I reviewed. Oops...

Your writing is very beautiful and descriptive throughout. It's difficult to find a good balance between physical and psychological descriptions, but you handled it well here. Your concrete details all feel really vivid, and the way you built up suspense and the feeling of dread in the chapters leading up to the final fight really had me anticipating what would happen next. There's almost a sense of poetic beauty that you manage to catch in the quiet, introspective moments, but then you also capture the grotesqueness of the demons and the horror of living as a magical girl equally as well. Plus, your heart-wrenching scene of Kyouko forcing Sayaka to see some sense and saving her from becoming a witch hit me right in the feels. Kyouko and Sayaka's relationship is one thing you did particularly well. It just seems like it shouldn't work, but at the same time, it's really easy to see their chemistry. I like how they both look out for each other, even if reluctantly. There's always a tension in their interactions, but the good kind (if you know what I mean).

I feel like the main weakness of this story falls on its lack of discretion in some places. Basically what I mean is that it has a tendency to feel a little too over-the-top dark. I definitely appreciate the tone as being a continuity of the anime, and I don't have a problem with the fic being dark at all. I just think balancing that with subtlety would have strengthened your work, especially to do with the characters.

Homura was characterized well here, in relation to the main plot of the story. The only thing is that I feel like she could have been involved a little more. And although I understand why you had to make her leave town with Mami, it doesn't quite sit right for me as an ending to her story arc. Mitakihara was Madoka's home, after all.

Sayaka solidly characterized for me. She seemed like a more ideal protagonist of the story, especially since it's a "what if x happened" sort of concept, where she is the variable. The only part that had me really surprised was when she killed the dog. Since she's someone who has a very firm moral compass, it struck me as odd that she would go that far. It seems more likely that she would storm up to the owners in righteous anger or something like that. But her idolization of Mami was definitely very true to her anime self, and I like how that added conflict to her relationship with Kyouko (especially the ending).

Now, it might just be because I've read The Different Story, but Kyouko and Mami's relationship felt very unsettling, almost bizarre, to me. I feel like it could definitely have had a lot more depth, or been more dynamic. Kyouko's treatment and view of Mami actually made me sympathize a lot more with Mami than Kyouko, and threw Kyouko into a pretty villainous light. Kyouko going as far as killing her really shocked me, and I always felt like I didn't know how their rivalry started or why they couldn't try to get along. In that way, it was difficult to come to terms with the ending, where Mami "loses" by leaving town, while Kyouko "wins". There may be no easy solution to this because of how much that concept affects the story, but definitely be careful with things like this. Even if Kyouko's anger towards Mami is meant to be irrational (which it feels like), since Kyouko is a dual protagonist in the story, it might also be a good idea to have a redeeming quality for her (preferably one that relates to Mami) that will make the reader less hesitant about liking her even while she's doing all these awful things. This is just the way I feel anyways.

Don't let that particular feedback get you down about your story, though. Honestly, I really enjoyed reading it. If anything, it's a fresh and interesting take on the anime that I haven't seen before. I'm just giving you some suggestions, based on my personal experience as the reader. :) Your writing is top-notch from start to finish, so it's really easy to immerse myself in your ideas while reading, whether or not I agree with them at the end. And you should definitely be proud of yourself for seeing this all the way through. I hope to see more from you in the future, if you do plan on writing for this fandom again!
Marina Rose chapter 13 . 2/6
I... I just wanna say that this is one of the best fanfics I ever read. Really. Thank you so much for write it and share with us. I just finished watching Madoka and just wanna enjoy some fanfic about it, but I found this amazing work. You're awesome, author. I really, really like it. Again, thank you. Keeping writing! :DDD
Don'tKillKenny chapter 13 . 11/11/2014
Beautiful story! I'm sad to see it's done because I loved reading it.
the Oracle of Akemi chapter 13 . 11/10/2014
Great ending! This story was great to read.
FoldedHands chapter 13 . 11/10/2014
Congratulations on finishing your longest story, regardless of how long it took to do it! I enjoyed it very much. The chemistry between Sayaka and Kyoko was very sweet and I enjoy reading something that has them so dedicated to each other. I would have liked to know more about what happened a year or two or however many down the road, how life was between them. Although, the more I think about it, the more appropriate it seems to this story to have the epilogue focus on the here and now, because all talk of the future has been pretty bleak. Well, I just hope that things work out between them for a little while, before the inevitable fate of the Magical Girls catches up with them.

Thank you for writing this. It was a pleasure to read.
James Birdsong chapter 13 . 11/10/2014
Good epilogue
Psykoakuma chapter 13 . 11/10/2014
I suppose this epilogue is a goodbye and farewell in more ways than one.
The characters say their goodbye's to each other as the readers do with the story itself.
Funny thing, now that it's too late I wish there had been more time to learn more about Homura's story. It's almost like there was another story going on the whole time and no one really noticed until now.
But anyway, thanks for seeing this story through to the end. It's been a hell of a journey!
ClickClackClickClack chapter 13 . 11/10/2014
Well that answers that question. Great story overall, Any plans for more PMMM fan fics?
Psykoakuma chapter 12 . 11/8/2014
Very nice!
This ending has a very weighty feel to it. Everyone has to deal with the fallout in their own way, for some it's more pleasant than others. It makes everything that's happened feel so real and significant. I'm not sure what else to say. I definitely appreciate how they've all grown substantially since the beginning. Everyone seems a little more mature now.
FoldedHands chapter 12 . 11/7/2014
I'm happy to see this chapter come out! As soon as I saw the update I dropped everything else I was doing to read it.
I think this chapter best sums up the emotional tone of the entire story: very bittersweet, and leaning a little more towards the bitter side. I hadn't expected Mami to be so broken inside. I get the feeling that there's nothing out there for her, that she won't find any happiness, and she'll only know peace when Madoka finally comes for her. I hope that isn't the case, though; Mami has never been one of my favorite characters, but damn if she isn't sympathetic in this chapter.
I love your portrayal of Homura. I think it's the most accurate to her character in the show out of any of the fanfics I've read. She's another one that won't find any happiness until she joins Madoka in whatever realm she created for the Magical Girls, but at least she knows that and has something to hope for.
I've enjoyed this story from beginning to end, and I can't wait for the epilogue. Here's hoping things don't take a turn for the worse.
ClickClackClickClack chapter 12 . 11/7/2014
While it's sad this is coming to a close, this was 2 years in the making. Reading a story of the division between kyoko and mami was interesting setup but I still see homura as the best girl. Its too bad homura didnt have much explored but it does seem there could be something going on with mami and homura if theyre leaving together. Hopefully that will be answered in the epilogue.
Don'tKillKenny chapter 12 . 11/7/2014
I love this story! I think you've capture the dynamics of Sayaka and Kyouko's relationship and Mami brilliantly. Well done! I look forward to reading the last chapter.
Bianka22 chapter 11 . 10/8/2014
Sorry, but this is just terrible. Kyoko flat out murdering Mami for shitty reasons and when it didn't work Mami just shrugging it off like that? And the end of this chapter is supposed to be happy? Even though for some reason Mami didn't feel the need to tell the others that among them is a lying murderer who will try to kill you if she feels anyone would endanger Sayaka somehow? How are we supposed to buy the happy Kyoko x Sayaka couple if the former attempted to murder one of the latter's dearest friends? I mean Sayaka was already seriously OOC when she shrugged off Kyoko letting a child die like that after a while, but really? This story is well written, but the characters are horrendously OOC.
the Oracle of Akemi chapter 11 . 9/6/2014