Reviews for Officially Unofficial
SpectreStatus313 chapter 17 . 8/12
This was an amazing and very well done retelling of the Sheply romance. I cannot believe this slipped by and I am only now reading it for the first time. God this was so good, the way you captured the essence of what Shepard and Ashley truly had to go through in order to be together which I agree with you that BioWare failed miserably to capture. Thank you for this story Ren, it was truly a great read. Favorite part had to be Javik's convo with Ash and how he (you) so eloquently defined what Ashley means to Shepard, Victory and Valor, just so amazing. Like I said I've realized I am extremely late to this story and it's probably been forgotten in the abyss, but have you thought of a follow up/sequel story? I would love to see that happen. Again, amazing job, this story will be filed into one of my all-time favorites.
theaterman007 chapter 17 . 1/13
I can't believe I didn't stumble onto this sooner. As a fellow Shepley fan, I'm always looking for great fanfics that feature that romance. Beginning to end I loved this story. I think it is safe to say that the majority of these events will be part of my head canon. If I had to pick one moment that was the most memorable, I would have to say it actually wasn't a Shepley moment. The memorable moment for me was EDI's death. In the game we only know she died in the destroy ending because her name was on the memorial wall. Reading your description of her death in detail made it more real. I'll admit I cried.

I wish you could do something that took place during the Citadel DLC. Though already lacking in Shepley moments, the main game seemed to have an abundance of them when you compare it to the amount of them in the Citadel DLC. Garrusmancers got to see him and Shepard tango, Talimancers got to have her sing to Shepard and Jackmancers got to see her give Shepard a tatoo. All we got for Ashley was a drinking contest that led to a bar fight with barely any mention of their romance.

That aside, this was easily one of the best Shepley stories I've read on this site and it has rightfully earned a spot on my favorites list. Well done!
Grey chapter 17 . 7/13/2014
Loved it! great work on all the entries and thank you :)
Ayeun chapter 17 . 7/1/2014
Wow. This was a lot better than I hoped for. I actually cried a little some point in the middle.

Would LOVE a spin off from this, but you should totally finish QGA first! *Nods*
DylanZero chapter 17 . 8/23/2013
This was so great, I read every single chapter in one sitting. Umm...so highlights include Ash seeing Shepard look at her picture lovingly (which from the game perspective might actually one of the most touching moments in any game, certainly a favorite of mine and made me so excited for the ME3 Ashley romance and...yeah.), as well as the ending you expanded on. I admire you using the choices ME3 gave you, it seemed to be more of a challenge than making it your way, and you hit a grand slam with the followup. I sincerely hope there's more ShepardxAshley stuff coming from you. You're a very good writer, plain and simple.
A Markov chapter 17 . 8/8/2013
First of all, I'd like to let you know that I don't like Ashley. I chose her over Kaiden in my first play-through of ME and I regretted it for the rest of the game. I decided to give this fic a go because you've impressed me with your writing skills on other projects and I think good writing is about the story and a good writer will sell their idea even if it isn't one you'd normally explore or look for.

You are a good writer. Not only did you make Ashley a sympathetic character, you made me care about her and her feelings for the first time. I guess I'll have to give up my disdain for the Shepley shippers out there now. Damn you!

-Alex.
iowahawkeyedave chapter 17 . 4/7/2013
Love the story! This really makes the ending so much better for me, and there really is not enough Shepley fan fiction out there. Can't wait to read Idle Tears, and maybe you have more in store for Shep & Ash in the future :).
Luke Danger chapter 17 . 3/21/2013
A very well written piece, handling things maturely and still getting the characters. I have to admit, I always figured it was someone of the Normandy crew (ex or not) that pulled him out of the rubble in a high EMS. I personally envisioned it as Wrex busting quads and pairs alike to get manpower down there searching the place to get closure for when the Normandy was found. Along the lines of "Shepard cured the genophage, I'll be Thresher food before I leave him behind without a hell of a fight". I mean, EMS was a good measuring stick for Shepard living that's universal to everyone, but you are right: Shepard's survival should of been crew based, not military based.

I have to say, you really broke down the three choices well. What I was interested in was that you had Legion be the opposer for Synthesis, because I always felt that Synthesis was essentially what Legion did to help the geth, except it just gave choice rather than made a choice. A pretty approperiate fact that he was the one to 'oppose' it in Shepard's mind. I also like that you made it clear it was /Reaper/ code targeted for Destroy, rather than just the really handwavy 'all synthetics die'. The more I think about it, the more Destroy really comes off as the best choice, but I guess Bioware wanted to make some other options open since Mass Effect always was about choice rather than following a general plotline with your choices being minor 'how to handle Conrad Verner'.

As to Joker's reaction... well, first, I found it interesting how you had EDI save the Normandy. I personally felt that while EDI was the Normandy, the AI core going out just caused it to have to land at Planet Gilligan or wherever they landed in a high EMS landing. I always envisioned it as EDI being in the cockpit with him and melting away in a manner that very much echoed how the Collectors melted humans down for the proto-Reaper... I'll admit though, I expected Joker to hit Shepard in spite of his bones, but I guess having six weeks to think things through help. That, and Shepard not trying to dodge the question when it came. Though, as you pointed out, logically Shepard would expect the same to happen to him, and Shepard viewed it as some sort of 'reassurance' for EDI/the geth. TBH, he probably didn't plan on getting through that even if he had an LI given how shot to hell he'd been.

As to the Shepply going on... well written, and you could feel the characters. I tip my hat to you for a well written piece that engaged and made you feel like the Normandy crew was a team, even Prothy the Trollthean. (Though, the 'avatar of valor' comment was interesting, all things considered).

All in all, excellent job and I enjoyed reading this.
DegreeBound205 chapter 17 . 10/31/2012
Thank you for this amazing story. Finally I found a good MShepard story that doesnt involved him being paired up with Tali. Don't get me wrong I love Tali but sometimes the pairing get a little tiresome. Please keep up the good work.
DegreeBound205 chapter 15 . 10/31/2012
I just had to review this chapter because it was simply amazing. Every thought you had going through Shepard's head was exactly how i felt about the decisions. I felt bad that the only decision that made since was destroy but i think it sucked that all synthetic had to be destroyed. In my opinion it just felt like synthesis and control diverted away from the meaning of the game which was unity to all races.
fahRENheit2006 chapter 4 . 9/24/2012
Dan: That was her pen name in the Shadow Broker DLC for her poetry. In ME3, if you take Liara with you to Grisson Academy she reveals Jack's name is Jennifer and find her last name if she asked nicely.
dan chapter 4 . 9/23/2012
Wait, I thought Jack's real name was Jaqueline Nought?
Adams7 chapter 17 . 9/1/2012
This is how the Destroy ending with Shepard alive should have ended. It leaves the future open to interpretation and closes with a simple message: Hope. I loved this story and I think this was a perfect ending. If I was an amazing drawer instead of a decent one, I'd do a drawing of the final moments.
Looking forward to any more of your Shep/Ash work.
AsatorPrime chapter 17 . 8/25/2012
Great story, i really enjoyed reading it.
FloridaMagpie chapter 4 . 8/24/2012
I'm with you - drunk Ashley is *hysterical.* Nicely done.