Reviews for A Demilich in Tristain
Razzle chapter 16 . 3/20
Golly, neat story!
Solidstach chapter 16 . 1/3
Warning: Spoilers ahead.

I have to admit: I expected much evil to be done in this story. The main character being a demilich could lead to nothing else. I did not expect the exact amount of it, however. The amount in question is best expressed in scientific notation, though it is not immediately obvious to the reader.

Let us start with something simple: ordinary slaughter. Hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of Halgekinians were manipulated and sacrificed to make the plan of the main character come into fruition (by the MC himself, or by the gods). This, of course, caused untold number of personal tragedies. Just look at Guiche, or at Jeanne (d'Arc? d'Albion? I forgot).

For our second exhibit let us look at the logical consequences of the story: what would happen if most gods (both evil and good) in the D&D usual pantheon were suddenly imprisoned and cut off from their powers? Let us not forget about the devils and the demons too.
I will not write about the inevitable reshuffling of power in the Nine Hells or the equally inevitable increase of demonic presence on the Gods' home prime material plane (since the devils, who keep the demons mostly in check, will be fighting amongst themselves for a long time). Instead I will say a few words on clerics:
prime material plane depends on clerics for things we in the real world obtain through technology, specifically through medicine. Clerics are the main source of healing and disease relief there. With their Gods rendered powerless, clerics' powers will stop working. No more healing. No more hope for small settlements infected with one of the numerous magical plagues. The death toll will be enormous.
The trinity of new gods is still getting used to their powers, so they will not be able to stop the cascading consequences in time. Excuse me, the one new good god will not be able to stop them. The other two probably will not care about this.
To the Author: please, PM me sometime and tell me, did you really plan for your main character to decimate two planes of existence?

Finally, the thing that I personally find to be the most disturbing: memory and personality alteration. Of all the things in this story, those are the ones I dislike the most, even more than casual murder of children, genocide, and killing off sympathetic characters (Flame Snake and Hellfire).
At first I thought that it was just one time, with Louise. But the last chapter proved otherwise. What do the new gods do with Valliere women? They use Tiffania to make them forget about inconvenient things like their father and husband, their country and probably about what exactly happened.
"Ignorance is bliss". I strongly disagree. Ignorance of others is bliss for Artos Basileus Sfor and nobody else.
The only case in which memory alteration like that would be tolerable would be if Louise, her sisters and her mother asked for it. Somehow I cannot imagine the Heavy Wind or her daughters wanting to forget any of it.
Therefore, it was unwilling memory alteration. In other words, rape. Mindrape, to be specific. Done by the "good guy". Because, in his own words, he owed Louse something for all the suffering she went through.

Congratulations, Shadenight123. I liked Arty through most of the story. Then, in the last chapter, you managed to make me hate him. Utterly.

A bad ending to a very good story.
Solidstach chapter 1 . 1/3
This story is ... amazing. You can love it, you can hate it, but it won't leave you indifferent.
This story is exactly like a story of a man who fought the gods and won should be: it is both epic enough and tragic enough. It has enough sacrifices (be they needless, senseless, or other kinds of sacrifice) to make a delicate reader weep. It has enough conflict and battles to make an adventurer's eye glint.
It also has an appropriate ending.

I definitely recommend this story for everyone interested in reading. After you finish, remember the words you have seen somewhere in the story:
power really IS freedom from laws of men and laws of gods.

This review is intended as an opinion pertaining to the quality of this story. For my opinion about the plot itself, please read my review of the last chapter.
brunofanofk chapter 2 . 3/6/2014
I prefer pathfinder
Samuez chapter 16 . 1/5/2014
Somewhat expected ending given what's been happening in the last few chapters but still disappointing in the direction that this take from what it originally started off with.

Familiar of Zero's world is pretty much completely screw and he's okay with it, ugh. Well, I don't particular know why it stuck being a humor/drama fanfic given in the end, everyone but the main character die.
Samuez chapter 14 . 1/5/2014
What a horror, why the hell did this turn from Humor/Drama to Horror/Drama and it's not reflected in the genre?

Lame ending, I didn't expect that at all from what the story begin with. How disappointing.
Samuez chapter 13 . 1/5/2014
The random bipolar killing impulse of killing kids are pretty horrifying to read in this fanfic. Each time it happens (3-4 times so far), I just skim whatever storyline you had because it doesn't make sense for you to do so other than for the 'evil' of it.

I can't say this is a great piece of work because it lacks direction and random killing of KIDS of all thing, jesus...and for apparently no reason too. If you try to tell me there is, than at least substitute that with something other than kids. I can see why it's not as popular as it could be.
Guest chapter 3 . 12/29/2013
Enter Grindelwald.
SneakyDevil chapter 16 . 7/20/2013
At was the most glorious thing I have ever read.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/21/2013
Well this is so fucking stupid I can't bloody stand to read it past the first paragraph.
illuminios chapter 1 . 2/23/2013
Just noticed that my reviews disappeared. Wtf?
Btw, after thinking thoroughly understood that, most probably, no, you didn't come up with the plan from the start. Some explanations are too vague, and some actions, thoughts actually contradict the plan... But you nicely explained it with "hiding thoughts' thoughts" (that one is brilliant! :)), "unused plans" and tricking noisy gods. That takes some bluffing skills! Great job! _
illuminios chapter 16 . 2/23/2013
Really, amazing! You've had it all planned from the beginning, right? Very rare trait for a story on this site. Great job! I didn't see all of that coming. Though some points of The Great Plan I don't understand even after explanation, they are probably from the "back-up plans skirmish".
This is the first story I read from your page. It surely won't be the last! Thanks for all your hard work! \(_)/
illuminios chapter 15 . 2/23/2013
I have just remembered: what are the spirits doing right now? It doesn't look like they were terribly busy keeping their side of the deal with Artos. At least you didn't mention actual results of their intervention... Was it happening behind the scenes? Had their roles already been played?
illuminios chapter 15 . 2/23/2013
...I don't understand how it would be possible to finish all of this in the next chapter. To many loose ends. Which means that most of them will be cut. After Henrietta's fate it is obvious that you can kill any character. Louise, Charlotte, Agnes, Tiffania, most probably, Artos too... No rest for the wicked, huh?
And you plan to execute revenge upon the gods too. It should be a lo-o-ong chapter.
illuminios chapter 14 . 2/22/2013
A pity. I kind of hoped that Henrietta would not get a "bad end". The girl had it rough enough. *sigh* Well, that was sad.
Arty's personality doesn't stop wondering me. In first chapters he behaves like a nice guy, after the discovery of gods' intervention he acts, thinks and talks cinically more and more, than suddenly he switches back to being a nice guy(too nice) after his dead friends ditch him for a pretty girl, and, finally, he leads hordes of Undead to feast upon the living. Is it all for the Greater Good?