Reviews for Those Formative Years
beth.zipay chapter 12 . 12/11/2014
Very well written and completely believable background to the Doc Martin character. Thank you for sharing your time and talent.
Mary F chapter 12 . 10/17/2014
Exceptional story telling! So nice to read a "history" of his childhood. Every character is quite believable….loved the little scene with Louisa as a baby and Martin's first encounter with her! You are very talented, keep it up!
bakingmad chapter 12 . 7/10/2014
this is such an amazing fanfic, you're such a talented writer! I don't want it to end!
red2013 chapter 12 . 5/21/2014
Great story to read of martin as a child.
Petworth chapter 12 . 4/25/2014
Nice twist - chapter 12 ending in the 12th month.
You have made what could have been a painful story easy to get through. Martin showed courage and resolve way beyond his years.
zsp chapter 9 . 4/23/2014
I like how you have Martin and Louisa meeting for the first time in this believable scenario. In typical fashion we see Martin being instinctively protective of Louisa, without really knowing why its such a big deal. Doubtless he wouldn't remember this years later-and if he did, he probably wouldn't mention it to Louisa.
BWagner60 chapter 1 . 4/23/2014
I have put off reading this story for a long time. I knew it would be heart wrenching. But it was so well written I'm glad I decided to give it a try. There were some very touching moments. Especially liked when Martin met baby Louisa.
Suesassysue chapter 12 . 4/3/2014
So sad ... so believable ... and so well-written as it rounds out the past that we know about in the life of Martin Ellingham ... young Marty. Thank you!
Limaccia chapter 12 . 12/2/2012
Thought you did a good job, certainly seems a plausible scenario. Just one quibble - I don't buy:

"Besides, he had to make sure Martin was away from her morally questionable behavior as soon as possible, before it adversely effected his development."

Chris himself thought his behaviour was just fine, he was amoral, I don't think he would be at all concerned if Martin grew up to be a man-whore like he himself was. I think he'd be proud of him. I think it was nothing but spite, and as you went on to indicate, jealousy that Martin preferred Joan to him.

I really hope you'll write another Doc Martin story. Please do! Maybe one with a happy ending? There's so little Doc Martin fiction writing going on because it's so long between seasons, but since there IS going to be a Season 6, there's obviously still plenty of interest out there for it, either retro/fill-in like yours or speculative, I don't care! Please?
Limaccia chapter 11 . 12/2/2012
Loved Christopher getting his a$$ caught, but again didn't like the end, although this time I see the necessity for it.
fanficfan71 chapter 12 . 12/2/2012
And so ends to only enjoyable times of Martin's childhood. A great story, even if a sad one.
Boots1980 chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
In this chapter Martin was transformed from a child expecting the simple joy of Christmas to one who "now stood silently, his face impassive." A child who "didn't return the hug, only stood there like a stone." You have brilliantly shown how the act of a nasty, jealous father ruined a childhood. Now you must shown us what happens next. Yes?
Chapin chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
Very well done and we look forward to more. This background dovetails into the Canon very well.
robspace54 chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
Not a Happy Christmas, yet we knew it had to be this way. The child makes the man and in Marty's rigid goodbye we can see the once and future Doc Martin.

Fine ending to a great story. Now there must be another percolating away, right? :)
Guest chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
Hard to believe that this is an imaginary story, and these people don't really exist. You have brought all of this to life precisely how I would think it would have happened, and captured everyone's personality exactly how they are portrayed on the show. Boorish, cold, callous Christopher. Warm, caring but pragmatic Joan. Margaret, the nominee for 'Worst Mother of the Century' award. And poor Martin, the victim of his wretched parents' terrible selfishness and indifference. No wonder he became the decidedly strange and closed-off individual he is! The way he was made (I agree with the Asberger's diagnosis), coupled with his abysmal treatment at the hands of his mother and father.

Thank you for your efforts and please grace us with another story!