Reviews for Those Formative Years
Suesassysue chapter 12 . 4/3
So sad ... so believable ... and so well-written as it rounds out the past that we know about in the life of Martin Ellingham ... young Marty. Thank you!
Limaccia chapter 12 . 12/2/2012
Thought you did a good job, certainly seems a plausible scenario. Just one quibble - I don't buy:

"Besides, he had to make sure Martin was away from her morally questionable behavior as soon as possible, before it adversely effected his development."

Chris himself thought his behaviour was just fine, he was amoral, I don't think he would be at all concerned if Martin grew up to be a man-whore like he himself was. I think he'd be proud of him. I think it was nothing but spite, and as you went on to indicate, jealousy that Martin preferred Joan to him.

I really hope you'll write another Doc Martin story. Please do! Maybe one with a happy ending? There's so little Doc Martin fiction writing going on because it's so long between seasons, but since there IS going to be a Season 6, there's obviously still plenty of interest out there for it, either retro/fill-in like yours or speculative, I don't care! Please?
Limaccia chapter 11 . 12/2/2012
Loved Christopher getting his a$$ caught, but again didn't like the end, although this time I see the necessity for it.
fanficfan71 chapter 12 . 12/2/2012
And so ends to only enjoyable times of Martin's childhood. A great story, even if a sad one.
Boots1980 chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
In this chapter Martin was transformed from a child expecting the simple joy of Christmas to one who "now stood silently, his face impassive." A child who "didn't return the hug, only stood there like a stone." You have brilliantly shown how the act of a nasty, jealous father ruined a childhood. Now you must shown us what happens next. Yes?
Chapin chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
Very well done and we look forward to more. This background dovetails into the Canon very well.
robspace54 chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
Not a Happy Christmas, yet we knew it had to be this way. The child makes the man and in Marty's rigid goodbye we can see the once and future Doc Martin.

Fine ending to a great story. Now there must be another percolating away, right? :)
Guest chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
Hard to believe that this is an imaginary story, and these people don't really exist. You have brought all of this to life precisely how I would think it would have happened, and captured everyone's personality exactly how they are portrayed on the show. Boorish, cold, callous Christopher. Warm, caring but pragmatic Joan. Margaret, the nominee for 'Worst Mother of the Century' award. And poor Martin, the victim of his wretched parents' terrible selfishness and indifference. No wonder he became the decidedly strange and closed-off individual he is! The way he was made (I agree with the Asberger's diagnosis), coupled with his abysmal treatment at the hands of his mother and father.

Thank you for your efforts and please grace us with another story!
Bodmin chapter 12 . 12/1/2012
You are so cruel on so many levels.
1) You made us wait so long for this update
2) I was looking forward to Marty's Christmas in Cornwall almost as much as Martin and Joan did, and now you've ruined it!
3) To make it worse, you even end the story here!

Kidding aside - you did a great job in delving into Martin's past and made it very believable. It was fun to read. Just one story less to look forward to, I'm afraid.
I hope you'll write more.
Guest chapter 9 . 11/10/2012
Am I crazy or did the show actually have the scene where a young Marty met Louisa as a baby? Was there a flashback? I could swear there was... If so, you've fleshed it out nicely.
Tracie chapter 11 . 11/10/2012
You are just the cleverest thing... As always, I TOTALLY believe this is exactly how everything went down! :-) That cheating rat Christopher, and Joan and John (nice use of irony there, how C caught them). S'pose I should call her a cheating rat, too, but somehow - even though Phil seems like a great guy - I have a harder time thinking less of her. Maybe because I've "met" John and thought he was terrific, or maybe because she was Marty's savior. I will be interested to see how you handle Phil's discovery of what he already suspects. I'm sure Christopher will waste no time informing him!
robspace54 chapter 11 . 11/11/2012
Does infidelity run in the Ellingham family like a bad gene run rampant? Oh dear, such a mess.

Nice writing.
fanficfan71 chapter 11 . 11/11/2012
An interesting way for Christopher to find out about John Slater. Great chapter.
Bodmin chapter 11 . 11/10/2012
Bloody heck! I first thought that it served Christopher right to be found out in his philandering ways, but if that leads to Joan being found out, Martin's Christmas being ruined and being barred from seeing his aunt for the rest of his childhood - that's too much of a price to pay.
Limaccia chapter 10 . 10/11/2012
I really enjoyed this chapter until the end.