Reviews for Those Formative Years
Catservant chapter 12 . 6/22
Hi there,
this is a really bittersweet story. My heart warmed reading about Martin's happy times at the farm, and clenched at the same time knowing it wouldn't last and reading about his parents and boarding school. It almost killed me when he had to leave just before what would have been his first proper Christmas, not even being allowed to say goodbye to Dinah. At least at school there was the refreshing Moment of Martin hitting the other boy. He wouldn't do it for himself, but he does care for his loved ones (and people or animals under his care... as much as he tries to hide it underneath his gruff demeanor as an adult). Nice little scene too of him meeting Louisa for the first time ;-)
I really love your story, sad as it is...
Thank you for sharing!
nature of things chapter 12 . 9/6/2015
This is heart breaking. Every time I've tried to imagine Martin's life I ended up shying away from it. You've done an excellent job. I know it must have been terribly hard for you. Thank you for sticking with it and sharing it with us.
nature of things chapter 9 . 9/6/2015
Martin and Louisa. He was watching out for her even then!
nature of things chapter 7 . 9/6/2015
I'm not Englsh or male either but I do have 2 sons. This is completely plausible to me. Good for Martin!
nature of things chapter 5 . 9/6/2015
You are doing a wonderful job describing his appalling childhood. This chapter was as hard to read as it was for you to write. Thank God for Aunty Joan and Uncle Phil. Imagine his life if he had never know their love and gentleness.
White Russian chapter 12 . 4/13/2015
Strange as it sounds, I enjoyed this painful tale so much! Thank you for writing and sharing it with us.
beth.zipay chapter 12 . 12/11/2014
Very well written and completely believable background to the Doc Martin character. Thank you for sharing your time and talent.
Mary F chapter 12 . 10/17/2014
Exceptional story telling! So nice to read a "history" of his childhood. Every character is quite believable….loved the little scene with Louisa as a baby and Martin's first encounter with her! You are very talented, keep it up!
bakingmad chapter 12 . 7/10/2014
this is such an amazing fanfic, you're such a talented writer! I don't want it to end!
red2013 chapter 12 . 5/21/2014
Great story to read of martin as a child.
Petworth chapter 12 . 4/25/2014
Nice twist - chapter 12 ending in the 12th month.
You have made what could have been a painful story easy to get through. Martin showed courage and resolve way beyond his years.
zsp chapter 9 . 4/23/2014
I like how you have Martin and Louisa meeting for the first time in this believable scenario. In typical fashion we see Martin being instinctively protective of Louisa, without really knowing why its such a big deal. Doubtless he wouldn't remember this years later-and if he did, he probably wouldn't mention it to Louisa.
BWagner60 chapter 1 . 4/23/2014
I have put off reading this story for a long time. I knew it would be heart wrenching. But it was so well written I'm glad I decided to give it a try. There were some very touching moments. Especially liked when Martin met baby Louisa.
Suesassysue chapter 12 . 4/3/2014
So sad ... so believable ... and so well-written as it rounds out the past that we know about in the life of Martin Ellingham ... young Marty. Thank you!
Limaccia chapter 12 . 12/2/2012
Thought you did a good job, certainly seems a plausible scenario. Just one quibble - I don't buy:

"Besides, he had to make sure Martin was away from her morally questionable behavior as soon as possible, before it adversely effected his development."

Chris himself thought his behaviour was just fine, he was amoral, I don't think he would be at all concerned if Martin grew up to be a man-whore like he himself was. I think he'd be proud of him. I think it was nothing but spite, and as you went on to indicate, jealousy that Martin preferred Joan to him.

I really hope you'll write another Doc Martin story. Please do! Maybe one with a happy ending? There's so little Doc Martin fiction writing going on because it's so long between seasons, but since there IS going to be a Season 6, there's obviously still plenty of interest out there for it, either retro/fill-in like yours or speculative, I don't care! Please?