Reviews for Not Stalking Firelord Zuko
Writer Rider Dirty Thirties chapter 27 . 2/1
Aw, love it. I can't believe you're finished!
CharmedRavenclaw chapter 8 . 1/24
Just re-reading this and noticing Princess Elsa! You must feel proud after Frozen came out, lol!
problemcats1and2 chapter 28 . 11/3/2014
Your headcanon makes me happy :) I liked how you ended this. Great series, thanks for writing it.
problemcats1and2 chapter 15 . 11/2/2014
Oh, this chapter hurts my heart. Poor Katara. :( I have faith that you will fix everything, though!
problemcats1and2 chapter 14 . 11/2/2014
As always, good chapter. We're you excited that you essentially predicted a significant part of Korra book 3 with lung bending? Major props for that. That was one of the things I really liked about that season, actually, that we got to explore the more unknown aspects of airbending, things Aang may not have known.
problemcats1and2 chapter 12 . 11/2/2014
Oh the Scrubs references. XD I love it. I assume Beardface is pronounced beard-fac-ay, dammit? But now I can't help picturing Dr Yang as lady Dr Cox and Katara as JD. Hmm...

Looking forward to Ba Sing Se! And I will probably go watch some Scrubs now.
problemcats1and2 chapter 8 . 11/2/2014
As always, I love your characterization and thoughts on Azula. Azula apologists unite! XD
airichan623 chapter 28 . 11/2/2014
THAT. WAS. AMAZING. Seriously, this is the best fic ever-your world building work is spot-on, you developed random one-off characters into awesome people (Ming and Bato and so many others) and your OCs are helpful, autonomous people (Rena, Dr Yang). You made Zutara WORK the way it could have in the canon. You fleshed out characters and built more depth into the canon.

Still, I've always thought that the biggest obstacle to Zutara (in my mind) was the bending abilities of their children and the throne of the Fire Nation: what if their firstborn was a waterbender? If even a non-bender would get more respect as a "true citizen", and I feel that waterbending Fire Lord would be nothing less than world-shattering and could very well start a coup-ed-e'tat. (BOO)

Anyway, you are my new favorite fanfic author and I love you forever.
problemcats1and2 chapter 2 . 11/2/2014
Great chapter. Not only is Katara 100% right, but you also did a really excellent job of presenting why many men truly don't think they're sexist (and that perfectly nice men can still be sexist, too) and how that makes it so much harder to change their minds. This was both completely in character and a good social criticism in the world of Avatar and the real world, as we still do live in a world, unfortunately, where women are "lucky" if they aren't hit by men.
Theralion chapter 28 . 10/17/2014
I must say that I'm disappointed in the lack of resolution to Zuko and Katara's relationship in this fic, save for the author's note in the final chapter, as it only has Katara concluding that she does love Zuko and hoping that he feels the same way about her. Perhaps in Stalking Zuko, Katara still felt conflicted toward "Subject," and in "Not Stalking Zuko" she thinks the war takes precedence over her feelings for Zuko (although she does have a lot of free time compared to canon), but here, it's less than fulfilling to see the romance go virtually nowhere after so long and so many words.

The events you mentioned are potentially interesting, but they would have been better explored in a fic, whether a diary like the previous fics, or in a more traditional first-person (or even third-person) POV fic. Zuko and Katara's story is just beginning, and it does seem to be wasted potential the way it is.

To be honest, the "fix fic" nature of this fic became annoying over time., particularly where you pointedly express your disdain for certain parts canon. Earlier on, it was more of a question of expanding on the series, which I found interesting(such as Zuko's attempting to master the tsungi horn to prove that he can succeed at a difficult task), even if I felt that sometimes, your interpretations didn't necessarily mesh with canon (Toph being jealous of Suki is an interesting idea that we didn't see much of in canon). In that regard, it's taking canon, playing with it, expanding on it and bringing it to logical conclusions, which is a good exercise of one's imagination.

But the same can't be said for some of the later additions and expansions on canon. The fallout from Aang's sparing Ozai comes to mind, but there's also the Ember Island Players. Specifically, there's the part in which Katara tries to discourage Aang's crush on her by ignoring it, and is written as having a crush on Bato that is meant to be seen as equally immature and fleeting as Aang's is on Katara (even though Aang and Katara have the same age gap as Katara and Zuko), the part in which Katara and Zuko are uncomfortable with their relationship being implied (people take issue with false allegations just as much as they do with true ones) and the Gaang joking to cover up their unease at the ending.

And, for the most part, the sequel comics and Legend of Korra are almost never brought up in a positive light, with a few specific references in the final authors note to how you believe things should have gone. Even though Season 2 suggested that the lion turtles could grant people the power of bending, I still find it implausible that they could so easily correct that, or that there would be Air Nomads that the Fire Nation overlooked after 100 years. Perhaps the fact that only Aang and Katara's third kid became an airbender is proof that breeding airbenders isn't that simple. It's likely that Aang would have wanted additional kids, but isn't sure how many others he'd have to have for more airbenders, or whether the others would be seen as unwanted (Bumi and Kya had their own issues with not being able to inherit Aang's legacy like Tenzin could).

There are a few other criticisms made, such as Iroh's retirement (While he would be quite helpful to Zuko, it's also indicated that he was happiest with a simple life, and Zuko didn't want him to have to give that up, as he says in Part 3 of The Search).

So I am curious about a few things. At what point did you lose faith in ATLA? And is there really nothing in the sequel series that can inspire you to write more and expand on the world the same way that the original series inspired you?

It may just be me, but while I found the second season of Legend of Korra disappointing, I won't be writing my own fic on how it should have gone. And when Naruto (another series I've been following for a long time) ends in less than a month, regardless of whatever outcome it has in terms of shipping or the rest of the plot, I won't dwell on what I think should have happened, even if I end up wishing that it should have ended differently.

So those are my two cents, or perhaps more than that. In spite of my criticisms, I found reading this to be an interesting look at what it means to expand on and write fanfics about a fictional series, and your authors' notes were a good look inside your mind. I may not agree with all your decisions, but I found that seeing what you decided and how you decided it helped me gain insights as to my own decisions as a fanfic writer, so it was worth reading what I did.
Ashen Author chapter 9 . 10/6/2014
I would like to preface this by saying I absolutely love this story. It's absolutely wonderful Zutara, and a lovely story with excellent characters even for people who don't like that pairing. But I think you're giving Aang too hard a time.

You're asking a twelve-year-old kid to commit pre-meditated murder because he happened to be born under certain conditions. Murder that he was raised to believe was ABSOLUTELY WRONG. You're holding him responsible for not killing Ozai, and no one else.

Why hasn't Zuko just killed Ozai himself? Either as a legal execution or in secret and say Ozai bit his own tongue rather than continue?
Because he doesn't want to be the kind of person who would do that, at heart, I assume. And neither does Aang.

I just keep imagining scene where Zuko confronts Aang about this, and Aang gets fed up enough to say, "Okay. I'll go kill Ozai right now and fix this. and since Azula was his heir, she's a danger too, so I'll go kill her too. And any generals that get in my way, and anyone else! That'll solve the problem!"
It's not serious, but it would put things in perspective about this.

Also, regarding the Siege of the North: Aang is a victim too. For all intents and purposes the Ocean Spirit possessed him (which I would say is about as bad as bloodbending) and used him to do that. That's been my interpretation, since the nightmares and stuff about him not being controlled in the Avatar State originally. And the Ocean Spirit grabbing Zhou...

Well, agree to disagree, I suppose. But Aang is not only a kid: he's at an age four years younger than he would usually be told he was the Avatar, let alone start the training. Of course he can't handle everything! But the response is to help him handle it, not blame him for it.

I've always felt that Aang keeping to his principles is exactly why he's a good avatar. Once he starts making exceptions and justifications for death, where will it go from there. Power corrupts, and Aang's unwillingness to abuse his power in the worst ways is what keeps him from becoming a monster.
Assume he does kill Ozai. What then? Who else would he eventually be willing to kill, and with what justifications? He would probably still keep to his morals at first, but whenever he came to a tough decision, he would remember that he'd taken the easy way out once before...
appa-appa-away chapter 19 . 9/1/2014
Ooh such a good chapter. Haha to Jet and I LOVE that Mai and June are buddies now and kicking butt together! But yes, I agree with Zuko's description of Jet being a 'pratface' among other things. And Zuko is a bit cute when he wears his jealous pants, but yay for trying not to get so jealous!

The releasing a boat thing was really cute too. Also, hilarious considering what followed, especially when Katara realised.

I have a terrible, terrible feeling that Hakoda is going to find out aaaany chapter now and there is going to be disappointed frowny faces made at Katara to a greater degree than the linen cupboard incident at the hospital in the Fire Nation...

Can't wait to read more! :)
appa-appa-away chapter 18 . 8/31/2014
Another great chapter. I am enjoying the sneaky Zutaraness. It is much appreciated.

Aaand Jet's at the party. Shenanigans can only await...
appa-appa-away chapter 17 . 8/31/2014
*frothing at the mouth*

I've gotten so used to you coming close to letting this happen, and then making sure something stops it, that I was not expecting this! I am a very happy reader. :D
Dastin chapter 15 . 8/23/2014
You're a great writer and I don't want to sound flamey in anyway but... Yeah, I'm not finishing this story. I can't do it. The whole delay to their relationship is getting depressing, unreasonable, and flat out irritating. I suspect this story is going to have them get together on the very last paragraph if they do at all at this point and it won't be even vaguely satisfying and won't justify all this horrendous frustration.

The "Everyone Can See It" and "Cannot Spit It Out" Tropes got beat to death by a large stick partway through the second installment and are now being beaten with a tree after they've already died.
1,076 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »