Reviews for Whatever We Lose
The only flaw in this story is the fact that somehow this assassin keeps magically finding Castle and Beckett even though their using burners and paying for everything with cash.
Bearmauls chapter 22 . 1/14
That was really intense. No other way to describe it.
philliesfan1000 chapter 22 . 1/1
Another compelling fiction from you. This one was heartbreaking and raw - downright hard to read in places. Heartbreaking that Castle had to separate indefinitely from his family, although there was no fuller measure of his love for Beckett than that he left Alexis behind for her. Poignant that she tried to persuade him to stay, then to go home, because she did not want a life on the run for him and because she understood and honored the bond between father and daughter. Devastating when she left him - - I was glad when he explained to her that he would be as devastated by her death as she would be by his, and that even being separated from her was painful, particularly given the terror of her situation. She needed to know that her good intentions had heartbreaking consequences - and there is no question that she would not have survived without him, unless sleeping in the woods and traveling alone somehow made it harder for Maddox to find her...But even then, her sacrifice might well have been for naught, as Castle was the one believed to know the location of the file. (God, how awful would that have been? She leaves him to protect him and he is killed anyway.) And the torture was godawful.

This fiction is one I am glad did not occur in canon, because their relationship is robbed of joy. They don't even get a night of joy before they must effectively choose commitment along the lines of marriage (for better or worse, with worse coming immediately) or breakup. And the intensity of spending every waking moment together is not just an intensity of passion, but more so of fear and anxiety. Their lovemaking was passionate but was desperate rather than joyful. Even at the end, they are imprinted by the trauma and have not moved past it enough to be lighthearted. I think the story allows for them to heal and to have fun again, but they can't get back those early days of feeling high on new love that they should have had.

The other hard thing is that it would feel odd, as Castle reflects, to go from living together for several weeks to living in separate apartments. It feels rather like moving backwards, even though it would be normal, as Beckett maintains, to keep their own homes while the relationship is new. And I wonder how his nerves will fare without the assurance of her safety that sleeping beside him allows (and the same for Beckett with regard to Castle, although she seems a bit less worried about his safety, if not his emotional well-being, and more determined to regain the confidence of her independence - not to be single again, but to feel like she can handle living on her own as she always has). I'm sure they will spend nearly every night together, as they seemed to do in canon, given that they had a well-established foundation of friendship which enabled their relationship to be immediately serious...and I suspect that this fanfic version of Castle and Beckett will not live apart for too long. Castle thinks about how he misses their fake marriage and would like to make it real, so I imagine he will wear down any resistance to co-habitating before too long.

Very angst-filled, but clearly you got me thinking as well as feeling. Thanks!
Anon chapter 22 . 11/28/2016
I'VE READ THIS OFTEN AND I GET TOTALLY INVESTED … AS IF IT'S THE FIRST TIME ‼️
Guest chapter 22 . 11/22/2016
Ahhh, this was so good! You are a very talented writer and marvelous storyteller.
lauhall chapter 22 . 11/7/2016
That was really good, loved it. You did an amazing job, Congrats.
Guest chapter 22 . 6/23/2016
Awesome!
Guest chapter 22 . 3/30/2016
I love this story so much. It has everything season 8 is lacking. But on steroids! :D
MulderItsMe chapter 11 . 3/23/2016
This chapter seriously made me cry. I am so in love with this story my heart is pounding. You're an amazing writer.
unannalome7 chapter 22 . 3/5/2016
wow you have work really hard on this fic it really is magnificient, congratulations. and thankyou :)
unannalome7 chapter 14 . 3/5/2016
tears on my face again:)
unannalome7 chapter 11 . 3/5/2016
okay the last part made me cry, so I am going to continue reading it.. but so far this is pretty amazing. thankyou:)
Guest chapter 22 . 11/18/2015
I don't know how I've never read this. Just finished it in a day. It read like a movie..very suspenseful and heartfelt. Loved it. I'm one of those people who like happy endings and things being fully resolved so I could've done with a longer or extra epilogue, but I fully respect and understand your choice. Ahh I just wish there was more! Thanks.
IOwnABoat chapter 22 . 9/25/2015
It took me a little while to finish this story. Not because i didn't like it, but because the story was so claustrophobic and unsettling in its delivery. Which I know was probably the intention and it worked - you're never given a chance to fully relax even as you see the love they have for each other and how they care so much about each others' welfare. Even when Kate leaves, you know it's because she thinks she's doing the best she can for him. Of course, the torture scene is quite gut-wrenching and it just WORKS in the context of the story and what we know about Maddox. Even the ending is melancholy...

But as I said, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite an interesting what-if scenario that I couldn't have predicted would turn out the way it did.
Guest chapter 22 . 9/24/2015
That was a hell of a ride! Great story; I loved the way you kept the tension up at all times.
1,146 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »