Reviews for From the Ashes
Seran58 chapter 3 . 12/31/2023
I'm loving this so far. Even though we're way past this point I still want to point out that, though I love the story, it is a little heavy on the exposition.
hanzohasashifan29 chapter 16 . 12/9/2023
where the brotherhood?
Lyric Drake chapter 10 . 9/24/2023
Love your stuff

Also, idea: Halo and fallout crossover. You've done halo x starwars, halo x mass effect, and fallout x mass effect (your big stories I know of)... so...
halo x fallout? eh? eh?
Guest chapter 2 . 9/24/2023
In space, the detonation of a nuke shouldn't cause much damage to nearby vessels. Because of the lack of an atmosphere, there will be no shock wave, and radiation can't exactly tear a ship apart. Additionally, spaceships need to have extensive protection against radiation (there's no magnetosphere in space after all), so damage caused by radiation should not be too severe.
Skaeger chapter 15 . 9/9/2023
the "dumb man" and the "emotional women" trope arrives once more and yet they are both officers? officers that are deployed in the same squad? he had to talk her down from a panic attack when they were still on a hostile planet having to hurry to escape before batarian reinforcements arrive and had others waiting on them.

he is too stupid to be anything other than a grunt and she is too emotional to be on combat duty. yes, there was an attempt to show his "hidden depth" here but given his prior actions and arguments with his commanding officer it falls rather flat.

I am liking the concept and the story overall but there are quite a few painfully jarring bits that don't mesh well with the rest of the story.
Skaeger chapter 13 . 9/9/2023
chapter 2 established that coalition civilians are allowed automatic weapons and power armor. the population of Elysium was stated to be over 14 million. the barbarians brought enough troops to have assaults taking place "across the city" and in "every settlement". The defense force was overwhelmed and Anderson was complaining that all of the defense forces were busy and reinforcements would take too long. so planetary wide assault against the planet's garrison plus whatever percent of the civilian population was armed and ready to fight, with so many barbarians that the planet'garrison, police, and armed civilians were all occupied and the death toll is still in the "hundreds"?

that's just outright bad math. scale is very important when speaking of conventional wars, let alone interstellar wars.
JustAnotherFan217 chapter 69 . 9/8/2023
I dislike the FEV here. Only because it reinforces that ridiculous notion of “Enclave has best tech” trope that I hate so much. I truly doubt a bunch of morally bankrupt, batshit insane, political fanatics that have hung onto a dead ideology for five hundred years are really the best scientists.

The Enclave still existing is like the Torries (British loyalists from the revolutionary war) still existing. Then being better at science also paints the Coalition as incompetent. It also feels like you want us to forgive the Enclave, and I just want their government to burn.
JustAnotherFan217 chapter 40 . 9/8/2023
I’ll be honest here, I find the continued existence of the Enclave to be completely unrealistic. None of the environmental pressures that created them on Earth exist anymore. I don’t believe they could escape Earth without the Coalition knowing. And I certainly do not, in any way shape or form, believe that they would never have even one deserter over the centuries who would warn the Coalition.

Just seems like a completely unrealistic antagonist, whose only real purpose is to show that there are bad humans, and really only distracts from the narrative you had going.
Skaeger chapter 4 . 9/7/2023
I'm going to keep reading, but I don't have much hope for this story. in chapter two, the turians said that they estimated the colony's army to be in the "tens of thousands" all concentrated in one city. one chapter later the defenders are struggling to fend off the "main spearhead" of the turian assault that is a few dozen soldiers on one street, and now the defenders are mustering all of their might to fight "50-100" turians defending their HQ.

such a massive inconsistency over the span of 3 chapters is a terrible indication of how this story has held together long term. a sense of scale is important. yes, both mass effect and fallout are stories of heroes and their few companions, but once the scale of a battle is established it should be maintained.

as for sentry bots being one-shot chumps, that's just sad.
Guest chapter 4 . 9/1/2023
IT IS THE BANEBLADE
p.s Love the story already
DaughterofDemeter123 chapter 3 . 7/27/2023
I was scrolling Ao3 for some MA/FO crossovers (there were basically none) and I noticed someone had crossposted a few chapters of this fic on there. They stopped in 2016, but if it isn't you I thought you might like to know. Username is MrHouse.
Guest chapter 58 . 5/13/2023
"Writing gay characters is not hard! You just don't make it so that them being gay is the sole definition of their character. I did it, it's easy. TWO of my OCs are gay!"

I've aways felt that the problem with writing gay characters isn't writing them, it's writing them and then coming up with a situation where they would have good reason to talk about their preferences without making it feel forced or gratuitous. Let's not kid ourselves, your examples in this story kind of do. They're just there to point out how homosexual those characters are, not because it was really needed. Not blaming you, though. It's hard to do that, which is why it often feels so much like inserting a token minority just to have them. How often do you talk to other people about your relationships, after all? In a professional environment, you can go years without the subject ever really coming up.
Guest chapter 53 . 5/9/2023
If there's one thing I dislike about this story, it's the way torture always works and never bites anyone in the ass, which is edgelordy as fuck and also factually wrong.
Guest chapter 43 . 5/9/2023
It's funny, but I really do agree. I've always thought that the trick to understanding women and writing believable female characters is to keep in mind that they're actually no different from men at all, aside from certain life experiences.
Guest chapter 41 . 5/9/2023
Volker and Tali are cute together. I hope that relationship works out.
3,614 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »