Reviews for Murmur in the Shell
Yosei Ranbu chapter 1 . 12/27/2016
This is a criminally underappreciated story. The premise is strong, carries itself naturally, and is a logical continuation of the aftermath of Death Note. The execution is great as well; the use of present progressive is fitting, and your splicing of asides and turns-of-phrase are lovely. Your writing style in general is fantastic. I especially love the detail that the neo-Kira isn't even graced with a name; it's a subtle and amusing metaphor for her own irrelevance in Light's "game".

I do have a few minor quibbles, though. Chief amongst them is the ending: I feel the last two lines are extraneous and thus actively detract from the conclusion. Near's quip followed by the parenthetical is a very strong stopping point, and going past that undermines the strength of Near's dismissal of this gamepiece of a girl, and the narrative's own dismissal of her relevance in causality.

Additionally, I feel the references to The Raven are a tad too on the nose. While raven imagery is very fitting in this story, more direct allusions such as Athena and the tap-tap-tapping jarred me momentarily from suspension of disbelief. Again, though, these are minor gripes about an immaculately-tailored story that manages to capture the tone of its source material and make that into its own.

I understand this is a review for a one-shot that's from years ago, and that there's a very real chance you'll never read this, but I just wanted to express my appreciation for this work. God knows enough people haven't done so.
Viviane Renard chapter 1 . 6/25/2013
I like how you express the never-ending cycle that is Light vs. L. There will always be the next detective hunting down the next god-like killer:

"When I look at you, I don't see a girl with a name and a past. I just see a shadow of an idea that a dead man once had. That's what the notebook turned you into. And when you see me you see... a shade of a detective who had no face and no name. That's the notebook's gift to me."
xLuciela chapter 1 . 5/19/2012
Amazingly morbid story D

This deserves a lot more reviews.

I love the scene with Light and the new Kira, simply brilliant.