Reviews for Journey of Contrition
blunablue chapter 1 . 8/12/2013
Hey ScarredSwordHeart,
nice to see a new story from you, and even more nicer that it is so long :)
I really enjoyed reading it. It's nice to see how Kenshins mood chances with the seasons, in summertime he was almost optimistic, and then, in winter, this sad ending... if his live would continue like this for 10 years until he meets Kaoru it is repentance indeed.
What i liked most where the parts in the middle, when Kenshin saw his reflection in the water, gave me a shiver... and when he watched the boys playing, drifting off into his battle-memories... perfectly written!
Funny thing is, i'm currently writing a similar fic, starting at the toba fushimi battle (inspired by the recent movie), and it is interesting to see how different the stories are :) refreshing!
thanks for the good read and continue with stuff like that!
all the best, blunablue
Bismarck Alexander chapter 1 . 5/15/2013
Read this on

It's pretty deep man. Implications that Kenshin will spend the rest of his journey and life in solitude and unhappiness is just deep.

Good work
the Dah chapter 1 . 2/17/2013
This one is full of notions that I would love to pick and speculate. As a whole this is very good oneshot. The main thing that poked my curiosity is the scene where he let his hair down. You have a good theory there that fits into your personal verse. Though I would to love explore the symbolism of top knot and samurai class. Top knots and swords begame illegal in either 1876 or 1877, I don't remember exatly when, but anyhow, they were the symbols of samurai class and as the class was abolished the symbols were forbidden. In one story thus far, an author speculated that the reason Kenshin wears his hair down is because of this law. A sort of open defiance. Not doing anything illegal but being close enough. However, as Kenshin is very paradoxical and quirky.. full of samurai symbols and sticking to them even through the ban (long hair on males was all in all very frowned upon because of that law,) and not being from a samurai origin suggest to me a pride in being a samurai or reaching that status. You speculated earlier that Katsura poached Kenshin from Kiheitai and had him pretend to be a samurai among his troops. However, this lingering samurai habits (lingo) and symbols would suggest a possibility of actually reaching samurai status by adoption to a clan. Oh well, all in all, very good story. Would love to see more of the wandering years and how those changed Kenshin.
Anon chapter 1 . 10/9/2012
Kya I love it. You do a great job of writing that inner conflict, and you keep his journeys realistic. I'm not sure how I felt about the LOTR quote at the end... it gave off quite the melancholy feeling, though I suppose that was the point. Good work
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
I enjoyed reading these vignettes of Kenshin's first wanderings: a nice mixture of angst, humour and introspection. But given my tendency to fangirl Katsura-san, I particularly enjoyed Kenshin's interview with his leader, who already knows he intends to leave and hands him Ikumatsu's care package :-)
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 6/16/2012
I think this is really one of your best pieces yet. You did a fine job of capturing so many elements of this transition, guilt, pain, hunger, confusion. I liked how you had these dark feelings bump up against ordinary life again and again as with the tumbling boys, the cat rescue and the imaginary sword fight and how Kenshin's response to each situation reveals his feelings and in some cases, his misplaced instincts for battle. I also thought the lighter moment or two such as the cat rescue helped to keep the poignancy fresh when it returned. That moment, and the part where Kenshin is surprised by the tumbling buys made me think of your Hiko/Kenshin training stories and added to the image here. There were so many things I liked I am going to forget to mention them all but Kenshin stabbing his reflection in the water was pitch perfect. I think everything felt real and true to the times and the characters here.
kokoronagomu chapter 1 . 5/31/2012
you wrote his post traumatic stress so well. so truly sad but at least occasionally he found a respite from the negative. at least finally he finds solace.

gin
FrenchieLeigh chapter 1 . 5/19/2012
I loved this. There is something very beautiful in Kensin's struggle with coming to terms with his true identity on top of what appears to be post traumatic stress disorder, AND the reality of being an adult.

I loved seeing Katsura at the beginning; I'm such a sucker for him, and the flash of his fight with Okita was a real treat. :)
t42n24t2 chapter 1 . 5/18/2012
I loved every word of the first year of Kenshin's journey. I am looking forward to the next year in this saga.