Reviews for At What Cost?
CaraLee934 chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
Wow. An amazing fic. I'm glad you did have the confidence to post, had you not, you would have deprived the fandom of a great contribution.
I get the knitting reference and believe me, I would love to knit that scarf.
At what cost indeed.
inhonoredglory chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
Beautiful story, Snooky (gee, my first time commenting on FF since the big change in layout here...). I'm finally catching up with a few of the stories I'm supposed to be following. This was very touching, actually, and quite meaningful. The dialogue and emotions are beautiful, and I can feel the tension and hint of compassion in the characters. Really good job. The first paragraphs were really powerful.
Marie1964 chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
Very moving piece, and quite different from the last one that I read of yours. I especially liked the ending about Klink reading the book again.
80sarcades chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
Amazing how one germ or virus can bring everything to a standstill:-)

Not sure why you had to have anyone give you confidence; I found this entry (and I'm awed that you wrote three; I was trying to find the time to write one:-( to be well-written and a nice read. Having Klink visit Hogan was very nice, and I wasn't surprised that Hogan was still up to his old tricks despite his illness. Nicely done!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
You interweaved A Tale of Two Cities very well into the HH universe. Well done.
Belphegor chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
I'm going to have to read this one someday to understand the knitting reference - or I could just pop over to a serious site or check a CliffNotes in my local bookshop... Sorry. I love how you play with the first line, and the lampshade you hang on it, having Hogan read it six or seven times - now that sounds familiar! - and discussing the meaning of the sentence with Klink. I looked up the full version, and it does uncannily fit the interwar years, from a certain (or a number of) point of view - "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way".

The depiction of the last weeks of the war in Stalag 13 (with threats of death marches and bloody last stands, not to mention diseases and deaths) is as stark as it is believable, and ties in well with your "Out the Front Gate" series. And I love the ending, with Klink's accepting the book as a small act of resistance against the cultural crimes the Nazis committed (among the many other horrific ones). Great job!
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
A great view of the camp as the war winds down: it fits beautifully with your earlier work. You make great use of Dickens' s opening line, both as a reference to Hogan's reading at the beginning of the story and as a springboard to the connection Hogan makes between the past and the present in his conversation with Klink. The quotation is indeed quite apt, and Klink is forced to start weighing the recent past of his country with its near future. And you do a really nice job alluding to other events of A Tale of Two Cities in Hogan's knitting comment; you really mine the connections between the novel and your story very richly!
Sierra Sutherwinds chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
I read the book and saw Ronald Colman version of A Tale of Two Cities. I like the idea of making a reference to such a tragic story. The scarf scene is priceless. Excellent development of events. Thank you :)
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
This was a profound moment for Klink, when Hogan handed him the book. I think despite his bravado, Klink has known for a long time that the cost was much too high to pay, and his fears for the future are certainly well founded.

Thanks for the hint about the knitting; I can see the correlation between the downfall of the aristocracy during the French Revolution and the downfall of the Nazis during WWII. I wouldn't consider Hogan to be Madame Defarge's counterpart, though, but I think Hogan was just using the analogy to prod Klink.

Looks like Hogan's reference to Hitler's Big Lie theory went right over Klink's head. But then, he never did read "Mein Kampf", did he?
konarciq chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
I agree: it can easily be considered a missing scene from the other story.

I haven't read War and Peace, so the nuances are probably flying straight over my head. But I do like this story. Even though the known ending makes me cringe...
ColHogan chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
Very enjoyable one-shot which does fit in with OUT THE FRONT GATES, but more as a missing scene than a companion piece. JMO. I did enjoy it though. It does show very well that as sick as he is, Hogan still manages to get under Klink's skin. LOL. And with Klink showing up for a visit it shows his compassion for the prisoners, especially his American counterpart when he hears Hogan has taken a turn for the worse. And Hogan's observation that Hitler's turning around Germany's economy came with a heavy price tag is so true. Well done.