Reviews for A Family Mantra
Marie1964 chapter 1 . 6/27/2012
You should never underestimate the value of a clean place, as the boys found out today. It was interesting to read about another medic also.
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
Gripping story with some great advice. And very true. Family never does follow its own advice, does it?
Belphegor chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
I honestly think that "Don't go (up) empty-handed" is one of these universal things that everyone has heard at *least* once in their life - mine was generally when leaving the dinner table, because empty dishes didn't go back to the kitchen by themselves :D Lovely little story, very neat, with a likeable and level-headed unnamed narrator, and a tight plot with a good balance of tension and humour.

"By the authority vested in me by Wilson, Uncle Sam, and Colonel Hogan, would ya at least clean up the floor?" That's my favourite line, right there :D
smithcrafter chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
I like the story...and the advice!
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
I really enjoyed this story told from this perspective. You make very good use of the opening line, tying the speaker's home life in with his life in camp. You do a really nice job in fleshing out parts of the camp we don't see much of in either the series or fiction through his experiences in camp. I've wondered about the clutter too: they don't have a lot of space of course, but living crowded is a good argument for living neatly. The events of the story certainly confirm the narrator's point of discussion about the state of the barracks, with equal implications for the tunnels. Nice subtle ending too, with Hogan's and the speaker's mutual recognition of the problem. Nice job!
Sierra Sutherwinds chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
I love your original character. He has a real voice and I could almost see him right there. The plot is really good, giving a lot of information about the characters and the situations they faced.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
Words to live by, indeed! My family had the same words of wisdom, and I figure the reason my own kids never paid any attention to them is because it's payback for me not listening to my mother.

Your unnamed medic is a worthy member of Hogan's team, and it was fascinating to see the behind the scenes stuff that was never revealed on the series. Certainly the camp would have needed more than one medic, and since medics were not part of the flight crews that got shot down, there must have been a lot of on-the-job training that went on in the camp.

I love the way you bring a reality check into such an entertaining and well-written story - the medics must have lived in constant fear of infection. It really adds depth to my understanding of the conditions the POWs lived under.
konarciq chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
Nice little story - could easily happen in an episode. Including the inspections! Ha ha, poor Hogan.

Very much enjoyed the narrator's voice.
newkathy97 chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
I enjoyed reading this story from the POV of another "unnamed" soldier. It's always interesting to see an outside view, as it were, of the operation. And again we see our favourite RAF corporal in a familiar situation.

P.S. since this I the first review I really want to be completely positive, but I do have one small question. Do you have to use the Name of Jesus when their are so many other ejaculations in the English language that would be suitable. It may not seem like much to anyone else, but when I read a story on which they use it, I feel uncomfortable with the rest of the story, and even if it's really great, some of it is ruined for me.

Thank you anyway!
ColHogan chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
Interesting story told from the POV of an unknown soldier finding that as a young man in the military, the pearls of wisdom his father instilled in him as a child which he hated, are good words to live by as a young man. Loved that Hogan was the one who forgot to put the sulfur back in his foot locker. Glad Newkirk is going to recover.