Reviews for New Year's Eve
mrspencil chapter 1 . 9/12/2019
Poignant and heartwarming. Well penned:-)
Reader101 chapter 1 . 1/6/2013
Ahhhh... That was a touching story. Thanks for writing it! And great job!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 6/13/2012
Very nice friendship story for all the reasons everyone's already pointed out. Might I make a suggestion, though? You might want to consider changing drug to dragged In the 'if LeBeau hadn't drug him in by the arm.' sentence. Perhaps it's only me, but I found the use of drug jarring because that's not normally how you see the word used.

Other than that, you did a really nice job on this challenge.
emeraldarrows chapter 1 . 6/4/2012
Lovely story.:)
80sarcades chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
Man, that's sad to have been held captive for so long...even if you are doing your 'extra' for King and Country:-( At least the guys had a little something special for him to make that pill taste a little less bitter. Well-written and a joy to read!
jediyam chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
Intense and fun, good job!
Belphegor chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
"The one and only time LeBeau will make something that is both French, English, and pronounceable" - oh, this one's a keeper for next year's PBA quotes :D Absolutely lovely story, wistful, but all the more touching and heart-warming for it in the end. I will carefully refrain from huffing at the "pronounceable" bit, which I found hilarious, but as a Frenchwoman I'm tempted to point out that over here, "fish and chips" or "ploughman's pie" are the unpronounceable dishes :D Kidding. I really loved this story, LeBeau' and Carter's gift to Newkirk, and Newkirk's reaction. I'll be smiling like an idiot for a while now :o]
snooky-9093 chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
This was very poignant. I bet Louis could make a great batch of "pommes frites."

I'm wondering where Newkirk would have been shot down during that time period. I shall have to check my history books. (Can't remember every date and every battle. :)
buggleston chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Wonderful storySweet that Friends were thoughful of what Newkirk was going throughLoved the party was to cheer him up including his favorite foodsespecially chips/ fries great of his liitle mate to make it for him. rhe lettwr and photograph added a special touch!
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
A good reminder of how *long* the war must have seemed to those fighting it, particularly those who were from countries that got involved in the fall of '39 and those who spent most of the war in a prison camp. Newkirk does seem to have been there longer than any of the others from what he says in a couple of episodes, so he would be the one most likely to feel depressed over the holiday, particularly as he thinks about all the changes at home that he's missed. Great contrast between the newer and older prisoners' attitudes (very believable). I loved the chips/French fries/pommes frites offering and Kinch's characterization of them as "The one and only time LeBeau will make something that is both French, English, and pronounceable."
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
I've often thought the time following the Ardennes offensive must have been the most disheartening in all the war for Americans, after all the high hopes of being home by Christmas. How much worse it must have been for the British, who had been fighting and sacrificing for so much longer.

Nice to see Newkirk's fellow prisoners recognizing that fact, and going to such measures to show he was not forgotten.
Jinzle chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
How lonely Newkirk must be. Being a pow longer than any of the other men. Knowing they were bombing the heck out of your country but not knowing if your family was safe. Having life go on without you while you sit in limbo waiting for the war to be over and fearing it never would be. All those emotions shown in so few words. This was a beautiful story. You've done yourself proud.
konarciq chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Great parallel between Hogan and Newkirk's feelings on the date. Very insightful, the difference of the *celebration* between the old-time prisoners and the new ones, too. And finally: very well written and worded story! Well done!
Crystal Rose of Pollux chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
Ah, poor Newkirk. His frustrations are both believable and sad. It certainly is bittersweet for him to realize that while he can't spend New Year's with his biological family, he has a family there in Stalag 13 all the same.

And awww, I love and adore the LeBeau-Newkirk friendship cuteness here! You write their interaction so well; it's always a joy to read.
Sierra Sutherwinds chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
New Year celebrations must have been the worst of times for POW; especially because they did not know how much longer war would take. I'm glad you set the story in 's a relief to know that this one would be their last New Year far from home.