Reviews for A General Fiasco
Marie1964 chapter 1 . 6/28/2012
Always love reading stories about somebody outside the core team, and your Olsen seems a very real person-especially like how his internal thoughts at having to put up with Smitty.
80sarcades chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
Ah, the trouble those Generals cause;-). Nicely done, and funny too!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
Great first person perspective and tense scenario. Nice job.
Belphegor chapter 1 . 5/24/2012
You have my complete and unmitigated awe for writing *three* stories (and very good ones, at that) in such a limited amount of time and with real life being what it is - wow. I had all the contest stories opened in different tabs (my browser is starting to look a bit neater now that I've read and reviewed most of them) and I only now noticed that this was your third story. That sound you heard across the ocean was probably my jaw hitting the floor. It does that.

Anyway, this is a deceptively simple but imaginative and quite captivating story, with well-written characters (canon and originals - and I have quite a soft spot for Smitty, for some reason), real tension throughout, and a smattering of humour for good measure - my favourite kind of story :o) And the opening lines are *great* gallows humour - the addition of "Mind you, he was a German, and he was already dead" is black comedy at its best. Bravo :o]
dust on the wind chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Aren't we getting some good stuff from this challenge. This one's nice - neatly plotted, intelligently written and a perfect development from the chosen starting line.

"That was one of his favourite pastimes. That and groveling." *snickers*

dust...
Goldleaf83 chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
I like your characterization of Olsen: he's smart, resourceful, and amusingly snarky. You do a great job showing how Smitty as an officer is nominally in charge but the real balance of power lies in Olsen because he knows the territory and has a cool head in an emergency. He seems quite lucky at the end, but really he makes his own luck all the way through! I'd say he deserves that commendation too!
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
I love any Olsen-centric story, and one told in the first person is especially fun. It's also neat to see stories set in the waning days of the war. Nice work!
jodm chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Great short story-and nice to see the focus on Olsen!
Sierra Sutherwinds chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Nice to see Olsen taking charge of a situation. Very inventive story.
Bits And Pieces chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Wow, three stories for the contest; you are ambitious! I really liked this; it was descriptive, realistic, and certainly suspenseful; and I especially loved the touch of humor throughout. Great job! Glad you got this one up in time.
konarciq chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Whoa, that was some pickle they found themselves in! Glad the general was dead already anyway.

The story did indeed have a rather "unpolished" feel, but it was easy reading nonetheless, with a nice little adventure on the road.

I can't believe you got up three stories by the way! :-)
Jinzle chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
a very cute and imaginative story.
ColHogan chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
Loved how Olsen took charge in the situation he and Smitty found themselves in. Great one-shot.