Reviews for The Voyagers
Delwin chapter 1 . 6/17/2013
Ah! I remember reading this months ago and then couldn't find it again. I somehow forgot it was yours which I shouldn't have as the style is so beautifully your own. I am beyond in love with Voyager's portraits of each of the crewmembers here. They feel almost caressing,with so much love and understanding of each one's essence, both strengths and weaknesses.
"Sometimes, I've learned, weaknesses can be your greatest strengths. It is certainly this way with the Voyagers."
Thank you for this - I won't lose it again!
hermione-of-vulcan chapter 1 . 8/21/2012
An interesting point of view, one that could be just silly, but you've made it serious and shown these in-depth views of the characters. Voyager and its crew are more connected than any other Star Trek ship and crew, and that comes across clearly. Well done!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/17/2012
Wow! Amazing!
Alpha Flyer chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
Quite possibly the most beautiful thing you have written so far, Dax, apart from "Stolen". Loved the ebb and flow of the words as the ship's mind touches each one - and the fact that you did not forget those on the lower decks.

My favourite lines: "A valley of misfits come to form the mountain." Sums it all up.

"There is blue eyes, and he understands me in a different way, the way of wild, laughing freedom and the cold fingers of space sliding silent against my hull as we streak past the stars." So vivid, so Tom. (And no, I did not miss the leather jacket ...) ;-)

But my absolute favourite - unusually - belongs to Neelix, and it is this: "His crimped ears and spotted brow are always ready to listen, to wrinkle; his lips to press back words until only the necessary remain ... content to leave his friends to puzzle over his tales of omelets or ashy worlds. His task is that of a well-placed question, and his silence is more profound than any words he may hide in the folds of his combustible apron." I don't think anyone has quite captured him in this way (few ever bother, frankly).

Well done. Definitely a keeper.
PinkAngel17 chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
This was just so amazingly written! I loved the descriptions of each of the 'Voyagers' and view point of them was especially good. It was all beautifully done. One of the parts that really stuck out at me was the...

"The captain is to her people what my warp core is to me. She is vital to their being, their order, their structure, their hope, but she must stay wholly separate. Beautiful, heartening, but untouchable. And alone."

I aboslutely loved that part! It's perfect! :)
CrlkSeasons chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
There have been other attempts to write from the ship's point of view. I can't recall any that have been as successful as you are in this piece. The ship's musings on each of the crew fits perfectly into the ship's unique perspective. But each character is still fully recognizable and our understanding of each one is enhanced by the ship's comments. I love it when writing verges on the poetic and also conveys so much meaning.
triniti3n1 chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
what a wonderfully intriguing concept. i never would have thought to describe b'elanna as a healer, but through the ship's eyes, it makes perfect sense. very original.
Cerulean.Phoenix7 chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
This is so beautiful, Dax; the descriptions, the imagery, the emotions and all from the perspective of the mighty ship herself.

I love that you write a little snippet for each of the main characters and how the ship views them; it's really insightful and says so much about we sometimes saw but never fully understood.

"Taken apart, we are nothing, just broken humps of flesh and, for me, metal and plasma and wiring. But together? Together we are whole. A valley of misfits come to form the mountain." There is a great deal of truth in this phrase, but more so I love the beauty of it and how well it flows, along with the rest of the piece.

I loved these two paragrahs:

"There is a solemn-eyed captain who hugs her coffee with a sadness born of leadership, thinking of home and laughter and tall, faceless men who touch her face and hair with a loving reverence. She holds tightly to the black drink because it reminds her that there is a mainstay in her life other than loneliness, and a hope for her beyond the tangled blankets and sleepless nights of sacrifice. The captain is to her people what my warp core is to me. She is vital to their being, their order, their structure, their hope, but she must stay wholly separate. Beautiful, heartening, but untouchable. And alone.

There is the one she calls commander, though less now than before, and he has the eyes of a warrior, someone who burns to fight for those he loves, yet can't for fear of hurting them. They've told him to stay away, to learn to be lonely, and his is an anger of passivity. He knows what he should do, yet can't. And so he dreams of phaser fire and blackened serpent bodies—memories of days when he acted on his impulses and made it out alive." - these paragraphs are wonderful because they are so *them*, and both of their characters resound from Voyager's perspective.

And of course, no starship would fail to notice the interests of two officers: "She calls him flyboy and he calls her bee. Blue eyes and the healer belong together. I know this because I can feel it every time they touch my metal." - It fits Tom and B'Elanna so well, especially the name 'healer' because much like the Doctor aids beings of flesh and blood, she aids those of metal and machine.

Lastly, I just have to say that I love the nickname of "the furry one" for Neelix; it suits him XP

I would have liked to have seen a moment of Janeway talking to Voyager, as she did in "The Haunting of Deck Twelve". However, this is already a great piece, and I don't feel like not having a moment between Janeway and her ship takes away from it.

Another winner, Dax :)

CP7
BonesBird chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
I love this so much, and I adore the addition from the drabble. I can see the ship seeing all of this, because you know, they talk about how the ship has the bio-neural circuitry which gives her a kind of AI I suppose. Seeing the insight that Voyager has into the relationships and characters, and her own nicknames for the crew. Yep. One of my favourite ever fics.

I just love this, and why do I not have you on my author alerts list.