Reviews for The Very Picture of an Earl
Maureen chapter 1 . 6/20/2012
I always enjoy your stories in the ATL universe. The children are so sweet and precious. Mary and Matthew are so in love, and wonderful parents.

Maureen
Paty chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
Awww, this was so adorable. :') 3333333333
Lia06 chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
It's darling and I love it! I love these glimpses into their family life and I do miss ATiL/
Serena89 chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
Yay! Happy thoughts!

Ah, interesting that Kit was well behaved while Mable was becoming a bit more rebellious - like her Mama! But of course, there was CAKE so Kit could take anything (ah, takes after her Papa. The cake family awww).

Loved the idea of a family portrait to mark the Earldom (I won't lie: in my mind the painter was the hideous Gowan from Little Dorrit given my recent watching!) with Robert's metaphorical ghost still haunting their thoughts. In a way, I think Mary accepted his death more easily than Matthew. I don't mean to say she's not suffering, but I think she's been brought up her all life to be prepared when this moment came, to become a Countess; she's been raised for the job, so she knows that whatever pain she might feel, she has to hold it together and carry on. Whilst for Matthew the thought of taking Robert's place must feel almost like treachery - as if he did not belong there. Poor darling. Thank God he has an army of women behind his back.

Also LOL at Mary thinking she was better behaved than her daughters - now they're ladies as she was, but I think Mary is raising them to be more spoiled (in a good way) and free than she was. As it should be!

And the ending...aww...of course Matthew is pretty. Very pretty. So pretty that Mary has been - inspired by this portrait and he'll know how much exactly later this evening.

Okay, this one shot was very helpful. They can be happy and they will always be happy no matter what. Yes. Keep and carry on.
Pemonynen chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
Well, on first reading, I was just a big ball of grinning mush. And then the second time I read it, I wept, which sounds odd and how could I possibly feel so much, but it just brought back all of the feelings I had at the end of ATiL.

Matthew can only be the Earl if Robert is dead, and it's just SO sad but it has to be that way, but there is no other way around it. And obviously they both miss him...Mary has lost both of her parents, and Matthew has lost the person that was teaching him his role, and also as well, it would be like losing his own father all over again, add into that that he would be hurting for Mary and the pain she feels at the loss...GAH. I really feel for Violet though; she's lost her son, and I just don't think she is as close to Rosamund, and so she is doing what she can to try and take her mind off it, and while Matthew sees it as annoyance, it is something that just has to be *done* and she is helping them both by giving them one less thing to think about. (I am honestly just an ugly sobbing mess right now...what have you done to me? At least I can blame it on hayfever!)

And the children...I just ADORE them SO SO MUCH. They're wonderful, and so kind to each other! (Am developing something of a soft spot for Bobby though!) But but but you wrote "Isobel looked up brightly at her boy". Her boy, not her son, and it's just...he is her boy, and part of her will never stop seeing him as a child, but also it's like taking him away from everything he's been through...and I'm not explaining it very well sorry! I know what I mean anyway!

I also just love the hints of the hotness between Mary and Matthew, and you just know that once everyone has gone, and they are in bed, she is going to tell him exactly how handsome he is... ;)

Aww I've missed the ATiL universe too, and this was wonderful, even if it did break my heart and give me puffy eyes! :)
AnniellaEyes chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
Adorable. Thank you so much for this further peek into the ATiL universe- Mabel and Kit are always such a pleasure, and I'm sure Bobby will be a charmer too, how could he not be?

What a lovely series of family moments, captures so well and with so much warmth. Thank you for sharing :D
Chickwriter chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Awww, squeee all over the place! So bittersweet and lovely.. that it's so soon after the death, but Granny in all her wisdom knows that things must go forward.. and the idea of the portrait making it real, somehow... ugh, feels, gooey goodness.

What I loved best.. and I think I may have always loved best about ATiL-verse... is Mabel... and how she's so completely her own lovely, loving, adorable person with opinions (and with Granny and Mary to teach her, of course she would) and a darling way of expressing herself. I find it very hard to believe she's not going to show up in Season 3 :D Well done!
Gr8 chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
I love the ATiL universe, please do more one-shots like this! OR A WHOLE NEW STORY ABOUT THEM? Yes, plz.
Audrey C chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
What a lovely story! What a treat. Enjoyed this little glimpse into their lives after ATiL. Thanks.
Tripp3235 chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Very bittersweet. In it that poor Robert is now gone but seeing them together and doing such a "proper" thing as having a family portrait is wonderful stuff. Violet knowing very well what she's doing while the kids are just precious. You know, I imagine Matthew had a sweet disposition as a child so it's nice to know his kids take after him. Hee, Mary on the other hand...

I like how you have her irritation at the actual painting with the girls. I think that's within character too.

Great job!
Willa Dedalus chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Violet has wonderful timing and intentions as usual! Her desire to plan for the portait and stay busy after Robert's death reminded me of Isobel's meddling on the show which lead to her confrontation with Cora and departure to France. Poor Isobel was no doubt constantly wracked with worry for Matthew which is why she acted as she did... Violet's manor here had a hint of that.

Mary handing baby Bobby to Matthew to calm him down was utterly adorable too!
EOlivet chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Oh, ATiL-verse, I've missed it so! :D What a wonderful snapshot (no pun intended) of their lovely family. : ) I LOVE the idea of this being Violet's idea, and I love the way her quiet grief for the loss of her own son comes through. :( The kids are adorable as ever (darling Mabel, sweet Kit and OMG the image of Matthew holding his baby son *and* trying not to curse is...something! ;) I adore how with these stories, you never let us forget that M/M are a couple, not just parents - the moments of subtle hotness are fantastic. :D That last paragraph is beautiful as well - Violet's pride in her family is evident. Love ATiL, love this - keep writing! :)
jupisan chapter 1 . 5/21/2012
Yay ATiL one shot. :D

Love Mary and Matthew as parents.

would we get more little one-shots from this verse.

also will we get more children on the way.