Reviews for Rehabilitation
Evilnor chapter 41 . 6/17/2013
Hooray, an update!

Odd way of turning Loki's "strangeness" into an asset, but hey, whatever works. Especially if they don't reveal the fact that the Frost Giants are also family to him.

I love the prickly father-son interactions with Odin. It really does show how much of an asshole Odin is without necessarily meaning to be. He's not a kind father; he's a king who demands respect, otherwise his love for Loki would've never been in question. And now that Loki doesn't even recognize him as family, it just makes everything that much more difficult between them. Love this characterization.

Until next time (hopefully not so long from now!)
Maia2 chapter 41 . 6/17/2013
Interesting talk with Odin. I love that they were both trying to manipulate each other. And they both ended up happy with the results, I think. Smart of Odin not to comment on the "father" slip.
And Loki wanting to make sure everything's perfect for the visit was adorable and seemed very much in character.
Thor's attempts at diplomacy went rather well. I was very proud of the warriors and Sif for quickly understanding what needed to be said, for *embracing* rather than trying to hide Loki's different-ness (what? totally I word... that I just made up). Should be an interesting mission.
Guest chapter 41 . 6/17/2013
I'll probably go crazy if this story ever ends... I love it so much!
EvilConcubine chapter 41 . 6/17/2013
Absolutely brilliant!
Hopefully, Loki will keep living in Thor's chambers... Separating them seems unthinkable now.
Mr. X chapter 41 . 6/17/2013
Hii i love it love it luuv it! You are such a good writer, all your characters are so complete and genuine, keep up the good work! :D
L.A.H.H chapter 41 . 6/16/2013
Excellent chapter. Thanks for updating
Marvelite5Ever chapter 41 . 6/16/2013
Mwahahaha XD Loved it!
As always, Loki's snark is amazing O_O I love all your dialogue, (and Thor and Loki's unspoken thoughts :3)
Eheheh, you had me cracking into a ridiculous grin throughout the chapter :D
Thank you so much for this chapter, and I'm greatly looking forward to the next update!
Well done! ;)
Maia2 chapter 40 . 6/15/2013
Darn, I both hate that this one's unfinished and there's no more "next" button, and love that it isn't as it means I'll have more to enjoy.
So, family. Always a complicated subject. Especially so with this one. The different dynamics (Thor and Loki, Loki and Helblindi, Thor and Helblindi, Odin and Loki, Odin and Thor...), each of them unique and informing our characters, are wonderfully explored here. While every one of them has grown but remains very much in character. I mean, Loki continues to be mischievous, petty, cruel at times, always lying and plotting. And at the same time, he realizes, apologizes, tries to do better. I'm glad he now has Helblindi as a balancing act for his other brother. Someone that can calm him down, talk sense into him.
And Thor... what can I say? Stupid Oaf. Of course he'd put himself in the dungeons, because he needs to know, he needs to suffer as his little brother did. And he remains arrogant, a little careless, quick to anger. His jealousy was very interesting, as were the things he discovered under the drones, and the steps he's trying to take to fix things. The moment when after confronting Loki with the brotherhood lie/omission, Loki lays it on him about why he would prefer his Jotun brother was... completely broke my heart. As did any instance of reading his joy at seeing Loki smile.
And then there's Odin, who... what can I say? I hope Frigga convinces him and he goes away for a long time. One point he does have right, and I *should* agree on is that it probably isn't very healthy for two grown siblings to be sleeping together every night. And yet: Go Away, Odin! Leave them be. They are perfectly fine like that! (btw, I do like that you addressed this. Both through Fandral, the warriors and now Odin... It *is* a bit weird, and it should be noticed.. I also like that you decided to ignore all of them so far).
Anyway, long winded way to say I really enjoyed this story so far, I like your characters, your style, your descriptions and especially dialog. Thank you for sharing!
Maia2 chapter 22 . 6/14/2013
Okay, so... since I see the next chapter kind of starts with a new story, I thought I might as well leave you a few words on the one that just ended, right?
I have thoroughly enjoyed this story. Yes, it is true that it got a little too gruesome at some points, but I do not really have a problem reading that (not that I overly enjoy it) as long as it is well written, which this was. It was an interesting thing you did, the way the whole thing served a purpose. And Odin is one seriously disturbing dude. I get why he did what he did, I even agree with you it might not seem like such a big deal to him, at least, not as much as for us, but it's still seriously twisted. I know Loki is not the most... easy or ... sane being in the universe, but... Odin kind of raised him, didn't he? So... Again, really interesting dynamic.
I loved seeing the whole thing through Loki's eyes. His inner dialog and self deprecating humor, his turmoil, his desperation, fear... it was all riveting to read. A cool way of trying to get into a very complicated mind. I suffered with him, I cheered for him, I felt humiliated as him... and I loved Thor just like him.
Everything became easier and harder to bear when Thor got there. You managed to capture that immense, twisted, scary love and adoration and envy that Loki has for his brother.
Thor is ...awesome here. He's so perfectly steadfast, loving, strong. He's not perfect, but he's there. And I am glad you brought up the fact that pre-Midgard Thor would not have been the same. Because he was brash, and oblivious, and dismissive.
And I am unsure if this was so consciously Odin's intent, but the bond it forged between them was.. amazing. I wanted to comment on how much I loved the scene when Loki is.. jumping on Odin's bed. The moment when Thor tells Loki what he is afraid of completely broke my heart. I was right there with Loki, feeling the constriction in my chest. I do so love these two so much, and your writing just highlights them.
Now I'm off to read some more.
Thanks for sharing,
Guest chapter 40 . 6/8/2013
I have read every single chapter. All forty of them! And not one has made me lose intrest please write more soon!
ninepen chapter 40 . 5/26/2013
Thor's reactions to no longer being ruler of the roost are really funny and cleverly written, and of course also completely understandable. Odin's been out of it for a long time now, and this would be a hard adjustment for Thor, even if it's not that he resents Odin reclaiming his position, it's just sort of a lot of habits and expectations that have to be adjusted.

"Have you ever thought that it might be unseemly for your brother to go on sleeping in your bed?" Hahahaha. YES! Thank you Odin. I have to agree with Odin here. It's really not healthy for either of them for that to continue indefinitely, and Loki seems to be doing much better now, so it may be the right time to start making steps to recovering this form of independence. And while it doesn't seem either are looking for marriage at the *would* kind of make it difficult. I for one would not be quite *that* understanding. "Honey, I know you love your brother, but..." LOL. But Odin chatting with Loki about it? Oh boy. Can't imagine that will go well!

I cant forgive this Odin for what he had done to Loki (I still remember that, wasn't it like, "preferably" no sexual assault? "Preferably"? Geez Louise. Cruel sicko.), but it's nice to hear him say he's proud of both his sons. It's hard for me to put these two pieces of Dad together though. Perhaps Odin, living as long as he has and being as powerful as he is, has come up with his own moral code which shall we say does not precisely line up with humanity's.

"ceding him the throne room while dismissing him like a servant" - hmmmm, I would think this would not be good for Asgard's stability. It's not clear who's in charge, and that would eventually become clear to the people and cause uncertainty and unrest and a sort of disgruntled malaise in the court because no one is certain what's expected of him. (I've observed that in my own workplace!)

Thor's enormous strength was no more his fault than Loki's temperature; perhaps Loki should stop complaining about the times he didn't control it and be more impressed by the times he did. "I'm fine – honestly. But you should feel free to not beat up on me, if the mood ever strikes you. Consider it an open and heartfelt invitation." - This was such a nice bit. Nice realization on Loki's part, and kind of funny that they've kind of play-hurt each other in, in a way, exactly the same way, using inborn natural abilities, it's just that Loki's are new to him. And nice to see Loki able to communicate that he genuinely prefers not to have Thor do things like that, even in this kind of flippant way...and Thor get it! Thor's doing a lot more "getting it" now.

And Loki's reassurance to Thor that *he* is his brother and Helblindi or anyone else will never take that place, but at the same time Loki not being all gushy and emotional about it, but just kind of knowing it needs to be said, knowing Thor needs to hear it, and being willing to give him that, all very very nice. Progress all around!

"Thank you, Mother. I'm sure Father is delighted to see me sewing instead of out smashing things with an axe." Serious LOL. Poor Loki. Nice to see Frigga helping him out here, because he's probably about to step into one heck of a minefield. I do wonder where Frigga was though when Loki was vomiting up water or having his skin burned off or having metal pears shoved inside him...maybe that was in here, I may have forgotten by now.

Looking forward to this nice father-son chat in the next chapter. I'm sure it'll be all rainbows and kittens. ;-)
ninepen chapter 39 . 5/26/2013
I really like the exchanges between Thor & Loki here. The arguing, and how it turns hurtful in places, feels very real - it's your family who knows all your sore spots and scabs and knows how to open those up and hurt, if they choose to, or let their temper get the better of them. Like Thor's line saying no one believes anything Loki says. But of course Loki goes another way with that, and, yeah, what he went through isn't something he's going to be able to laugh off some day...not with any sincerity anyway.

It's quite big of Thor to be the one to try to get Loki to accept his other family, that was a nice moment. Thor's come a long way. I wonder if in time Loki will come to have more questions about his lost brother. I lost a half-brother in a sorta-but-not-really similar way, he died when I was one year old (no bifrost involved!), so I have no memory of him and so forth, but anyway, it makes me think of that when read of Loki's reaction to his brother/not-brother/ex-brother that he never knew existed and now can never meet. I can't help but think that if you continued this story ad infinitum (as in...probably it won't happen next week), Loki would probably wonder about this other brother. But maybe Helblindi wouldn't be able to tell him much, either, it sounds like.

"He had argued with Thor and they had both walked away unscathed. Loki could hardly believe it. No blood drawn, no resentment boiling, almost no feelings hurt at all." - Yeah. That *was* nice to see. It's nice to see their progress in general.

The horseplay was really funny. I doubt actual very grown-up brothers would do something like that, but Thor and Loki are in rather a strange place in their relationship right now, so I can see them doing it. And: "My arms don't bend that way," he pointed out patiently. Still limp. "They will when I'm finished with them," Thor growled..." LOL. Love that. I can *totally* see Thor saying that.

And the flashback moment and Loki's attempt to overcompensate to cover it, and Thor getting it, and everything being okay in the end...all very nicely done.
Ireland Ranger chapter 14 . 5/26/2013