Reviews for Catalyst
Guest chapter 2 . 3/31/2013
i'm wondering mabye the kid is chase but then i thought it couldn't be possible right?
jdcocoagirl chapter 2 . 5/27/2012
this is a nice take on the last episode, it was really bumper to see cameron have a family i was hoping that she and chase will get back together. enough about my rant. hope you will update soon and have chase and cameron have their drinks soon.:)
Meresger chapter 2 . 5/27/2012
Good start. But you need a beta. It's more of a rough draft than a final product. You have some good lines but not enough supporting details. Love the line about Cameron glowing and "God, how many husbands does that woman need to have?" I have 2 problems, though, for ch 1 & 2 (and suggested fixes handed out with constructive love). Sorry about this being long, but I had a sudden need to rant about the chronology of Cameron's life in Chicago and how it might mesh with things at PPTH and explain my reasoning for why you need to fix some things if this is going to start out canon as you claim.

1) Chase DOES know about Cameron's marriage. Cam is WEARING HER WEDDING RING AT THE FUNERAL. (I missed Cam's ring when I watched the funeral scene the first time too, so don't feel bad, but it is VERY obvious if you're looking for it when Wilson's phone is ringing and she's wiping her eyes with her left hand. There was also a still from a cut scene posted on TVLine that showed Chase and Cam pseduo-embracing at the funeral which also displayed her ring prominently, so imagine there was some congratulatory dialogue with it, whether Chase meant it or not).

-conclusion: Chase probably already knew prior to the funeral having mentioned Cam in "Post Mortem" when he says she's Head of Emergency Medicine in Chicago. Either Foreman broke the news (he was probably in touch with Cameron who helped get Park the job in Chicago that she declined at the start of the season) or Chase already knew before his surf-about. If House went to prison in August/September 2011, why does Chase not leave the States until April 2012 (if he was gone 9 months, as he says in "PM" in the conversation in which he mentions Cam)? Could be he learned about the wedding (less than 2 years after "Lockdown", ouch!). From the kid's age, he wouldn't have learned about the baby until he returned, maybe heard from an old friend of Cam's in the ER or Foreman which lead to his sulky, pseudo-suicidal rant to Adams about his mum and sister, pulling overnight shifts at the hospital, and being distracted enough to take a scalpul into that room in "Nobody's Fault". (Cam may have just had the baby prior to "Better Half" in January, making the kid about 4 months by House's funeral, give or take). You could read subtext into it that House knew all of that and that's why he was trying to set up Chase and Adams and then was trying to distract Chase with the hair dye thing rather than punish him, but it backfired and that's why House blamed himself and mentioned his ruined relationships to Chase (since he also contributed to Cameron leaving) when he tried to convince Chase that he "just got stabbed" to try and break him out of a House-like self-destructive spiral. That Chase got so desperately involved with that nun, believing he was in love with her, strikes me as him having learned about Cameron and feeling lost that his "unfixable" ex had moved on while he was back where he started but also being in denial that he's still in love with Cameron rather than just hurt that she succeeded in moving forward while he did not, even after traveling the world.

2) It is not very plausible that Chase would fly all the way to Chicago just to ask Cameron to maybe have drinks with him. Easily fixed: have Chase at a medical conference after getting House's job and is either masochistic enough or in denial enough to on a whim head over to her hospital to ask her to drinks; or Cam even tells him at the funeral if he's ever in town they should have drinks and trade stories about House, perhaps not really believing he'd ever show up but trying to be polite because, as you pointed out, House was a father figure to Chase, and as screwed up as Cam was in "Teamwork" the wrong for bailing on a bing-drinking Chase like his dad bailed on his mom, I think by "Lockdown" she felt bad and honestly thought she was the more broken one and that after her first marriage two broken people couldn't fix each other.

In any case, I think it's unfortunate that as DS said, they couldn't create a back story to get Chase and Cameron together (obviously because of Jemo's commitment to OUAT) after the hints given in season 7 that Chase was still pining for her and trying to get over her by getting under every woman in PPTH. At least, while Cuddy was completely left out of "Everybody Dies", the writers tried to explain (I suspect) that Cameron didn't show up when Chase was stabbed because of her newborn and Chase's remark about her in "PM" implies they did have some kind of recent communication. I can see Cameron offering to come and help out, even after having a baby, and Chase pulling the not wanting to be a burden card; most likely Chase would have told Foreman not to inform her about his getting stabbed because he does love Cameron and wants her to be happy and untainted by his screwed-up-ness, but she would have found out eventually, even if only after House died, so they would have talked and traded congrats about her kid and his promotion. Then after Chase gets House's job, he feels like less of a loser and decides maybe they can try to be friends again only to realize when he sees her with her husband and kid that he doesn't just love her, he's still IN LOVE with her. THEN he would take his unrequited love to a bar in Chicago and get paralytic drunk!

Just my take on making your story plausibly CANON. If you want to stick with AU then advertise it as such. Sorry for the textual diarrhea; I just needed to rant about Chameron!

PS: JS said he's forgotten a lot of his more colorful native slang, so I'd stick predominately to those most non-Aussies know like "tosser", "mate", "mum" and "arse" with the occasional odd colloquialism just for nostalgic kicks (I like "stonkered" and "crack the fat") and you should be "apples"!
Jeremy Shane chapter 2 . 5/25/2012
Good Chapter & More Please
Katelyn chapter 2 . 5/25/2012
Love it 3
Pinkuro chapter 2 . 5/24/2012
i like this! continue please! :D
latinbeauty008 chapter 2 . 5/23/2012
Feel bad for chase but very nice job! Hope you continue soon!
Kchan88 chapter 2 . 5/23/2012
Aw, this was sad, but very well done! I was actually pretty surprised to see Cameron with a child already too, although I suppose three years had technically passed, but seeing Chase as head of diagnostics did definitely ease that little blow to my shipper heart, as did her looking at that old picture of all of them. Are you still going to have him take over diagnostics in this story?

Anyway, that was a nice look into Chase's head here, especially with his descriptions of Cameron's innner glow...I really liked that! Very interested to see the next chapter!
Russian8once1psych7 chapter 2 . 5/23/2012
OMG i love this story!:) Poor Robert:( but still can't wait for the next chapter :)

Check out some of my stories when you can :)
Hisa-Ai chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
I do hope you continue, as I think this could make for quite an interesting story, but if you do, I think the chapters could stand to be a tad longer. That being said, I think you did a pretty good job for what it is. One-shot or multi-chap, I liked it. Good job.

Keep up the good work!

Always,

Hisa-Ai
latinbeauty008 chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
I think you did a nice job and should definitely continue, see where it goes!
Kchan88 chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
I loved this piece! Despite the appearance of Cameron's new man and the cute baby, my Chameron heart was THRILLED to see her sitting next to Chase during the funeral. It was a small moment, but it really did speak volumes...they've been through so much together, but they will always,always care about one another. And I like how you did this, with Chase asking her to sit next to him so they can go through this together, and I think this is a good take on how that scene might have happened.

I would surely like to see it continued! :)
requim17 chapter 1 . 5/22/2012
i think it's great as a standalone, but could potentially be an interesting multichapter. I really like it, you stayed true to the canon and hit a lot of important points.