Reviews for Change of Heart
Guest chapter 1 . 6/24/2014
ES CIERTO NUNCA ES TARDE
Guest chapter 1 . 6/22/2014
I don't usually like fics where Kenshin and Battousai are two different "entities", but yours is developed in another way. "Their" interaction was so beautiful. Himura Kenshin was Shinta and Battousai. Now he is Kenshin and pretends to be a harmless rurouni. He is all of them, so it's stupid to think that Battousai was different from Kenshin's nature: a sex god and full of self-confidence. His comfort for being in Kaoru's arms is so sweet, that I almost cried. Nice, nice fic and so different from others. Delightful.
Rei Masako chapter 1 . 7/8/2013
Your version of the Kenshin / Battousai relationship was fascinating. Thank you for writing.
arriku chapter 1 . 1/8/2013
Alright, this is the first depiction of Battousai I've read, that most closely fits the image I have of him in my mind - an introverted boy with the world on his shoulders, and a belief that there is only 'one way' to deal with things.

Where people call Battousai 'uninhibited', I would call him 'reckless.' (Not to bash on Batt, I liked the appeal of his 'badboy' character portrayed by authors when I was younger, but at this point I much prefer 28 year old, matured Kenshin.
Captured Moon chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
I love your creative idea of having both sides of Kenshin in conversation. I appreciate that you don't make Kenshin's Battousai a blood-thirsty killer, but a lonely, young kid. It was fabulous to read. Thank you!
LadyRhiyana chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
I found this a quite intriguing concept. Kenshin's conversations with his younger, more simplistic self - you can see the difference growing between them as Kenshin grows older and more mature, while Battousai, stuck in time, knows only one way.

PS: As I am in my late 20s myself, I completely understand your shift in perspective. There's 10 long, hard years between Kenshin and Kaoru - there's bound to be some difference in perspective.
IchikoKitsuneKoumori chapter 1 . 8/15/2012
T-T
Wolf Melody chapter 1 . 6/11/2012
I agree with your thoughts on Battousai. I was surprised by this, and I liked it a lot. Normally I think the Kenshin/Battousai relationship is far overused and oversimplified into a black and white concept. I was intrigued by this, and I liked that in this case Battousai was not so much a separate consciousness actively influencing Kenshin's actions, but rather a more abstract figure conjured up when Kenshin is reminiscing, or in deep thought or a situation that may provoke a subconscious acknowledgement of his past self.

This seemed to me to be similar in nature to someone who contemplates what they would say, if they could get the chance to talk to themself at an earlier time in life. To explain things and reason; to gain understanding for both the past self and the present self, as a point of inner reflection.

Hopefully my meaning isn't too muddled here; I don't want this to be too much a highfalutin, hippy-dippy rambling. :P

In any case, I liked it and thought it stood out from other fics that focused on the Kenshin/Battousai dichotomy.
Brukaoru chapter 1 . 6/5/2012
This is quite an interesting perspective. I actually like the idea, it reminds me of the movie Fight Club.

I agree with you when you say you don't buy into the fanfic theory that Battousai is more passionate side of Kenshin, even though I enjoy quite a number of fics that portray him that way.

I think a lot of people don't like the idea of Battousai being a separate personality from Kenshin, but the fact is in the manga even Kenshin refers to the "hitokiri inside him" as a separate entity, as well as other characters. I think it's just a matter of interpretation for fanfic writers, and how they plot their stories based around that.

From a psychological standpoint, I think Kenshin simply created a personality within him so he could deal with the trauma of killing others, even the 'rurouni' at times seems to be a 'personality' he created to lead people away from finding out his true identity. There seems to be only few moments in the manga when Kenshin is his true self, not hiding behind personalities.

Anyway! This is a very nice one-shot. Well written! I look forward to reading more from you! :)
NinnyTreetops chapter 1 . 5/30/2012
"the first time I read the series I was about sixteen—younger than Kaoru—and this latest time through I realized that at twenty-five, I'm now actually closer in age to Kenshin. Who, by the way, is not old… ;)"

I'm a year older than you, but yeah: big fat word.

I am really taking to those quiet, slow pieces of yours (which has nothing to do with the fact that I'v emoved into quiet, slow fic's master bedroom with 10 suitcases never to leave again. No, siree.)
Eletrickkid chapter 1 . 5/27/2012
this was a very good story great job
Sour Queen chapter 1 . 5/27/2012
That was very sweet, kinda weird once I thought about it, actually..having someone who is you, judge you, constantly, but , it was definitely an interesting read .
skenshingumi chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
I really liked this and I especially liked how you sketch Battousai as less affect than Kenshin, more introverted, possibly even slightly afraid of the world because he is so apart from it and his only understanding of how to operate in it is so painful to himself and others. I cannot understand how so many people can read the manga and create this passionate sex god out of such a lost and confused soul. I like the way you portray the quiet maturity of Kenshin as he is more accepting of his own mistakes and his own need to appreciate even silliness along with the more serious emotions. You really show him as someone who is allowing himself to be fully human in these little vignettes, Very nicely done.
Lackwit chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
What an excellent story. The framing, pacing, dialogue all set the atmosphere wonderfully.

And it was a great idea to use fan translations. VIZ messed up badly with some of theirs..
sapphirehimitsu chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
This is really different from any other stories I have read but I love it! It has that special feeling while reading it which I do not know how to describe. I really enjoy reading it! :D