Reviews for Fathers and Sons
SamDeanLover28 chapter 4 . 8/12/2012
great
sylia91 chapter 4 . 8/11/2012
I definitely see Dean forgiving John but more difficult is Dean forgiving himself. That one is a stickler for him. He is much harder on himself than anyone around him.
irismay42 chapter 4 . 8/11/2012
I think Dean's gone backwards and forwards on how he feels about his dad. He obviously worshipped him as a kid. It's hard to see someone you always thought was invincible revealed to be all to human. I guess in some ways that makes it easier for Sam to forgive John as he never saw his dad that way to begin with. You're right though. Dean needs to come to terms with how he feels about his dad before he can move on. JDM for season 8!
ebonylovesdeanandsam chapter 1 . 6/24/2012
i like this fic and i love john too but i can understand why dean feels about him. and dean is always right! i do love your fics but i love dean and sam more!
pandora jazz chapter 3 . 6/17/2012
I've always believed that John did the best he could when trying to raise his boys.

It may not have been perfect, but it did forge the bond between Dean and Sam to fight and survive together.

Thanks for sharing another chapter with us.
HeroicDean chapter 3 . 6/16/2012
Awesome, as usual. You know, I know that Dean has really been angry at John ever since he died and been really angry and bitter but I think he still realizes that John loved them. There was a comment that he made to Samuel Campbell where he and Samuel are arguing about family and stuff like that and Dean said, "You talk about putting blood first which is funny because you sound just like my Dad. The difference is he actually did."

So I think based on that comment, I think he knows deep down that John wasn't such a bad person.

'John was conflicted'. Boy was he ever! I know that, on the one hand, he wanted to give his boys a quote un quote "normal life" but his desire and need for revenge was just so incredibly strong that it overshadowed everything else. His love for Mary was so complete and so undeniable that he could not physically see another road other than the one he was on.

You know, the other day I watched the scene with Mary and Dean when Cas sent him back to when she and John were still dating, and the part that just made me get chills in my spine was when she said that John had been through the Vietnam war and had seen all of those horrors and he STILL believed in happily ever after and he was still just a good person.

But it was like her death was the ONE thing that changed him and sent him over the edge. It was just so sad to see her talk about how much she loved him and how much he loved her and knowing what was going to happen eventually.

'Dean coped the only way he knew how'

He did, too. His saving grace I think was Sam. I think, as unfair as it was that John threw all of that responsibility to Dean, I think it actually saved his life to have a job other than waiting for John to come home from whatever dangerous hunt he was on that week.

I ALWAYS wonder what Dean's reaction to Sam leaving was. I always wonder if he yelled at John for what he said or any of that or just remained silent about it. What do you think? Because I know that Dean said that that night was "the worst night of his life" so I wonder what his part in that was, what he said or didn't say in that moment.

Anyway, great great chapter!
irismay42 chapter 3 . 6/16/2012
So true. You only have to look at what happened to Adam to see that if John hadn't forced the boys to grow up the way they did, they would probably not have survived their childhoods!
sylia91 chapter 3 . 6/16/2012
Insightful view into the Winchester men's psyche. I'm not one to criticize the show's vision and direction having faith in the story and journey but I have been disappointed that they've beaten Dean down so much that he has lost that ultimate faith in love of family and rendered him even more despondent and bitter than John and Sam ever were. Even at their most driven and obsessed they never questioned that they mattered and were loved but Dean questions everything now and it is leaving him off balance and not acting like himself. I hope this season lets him rediscover himself and his many strengths and gives Sam the chance to be the one to help him get there re establishing the brothers' love and bond. The whole point of the show really, despite all the monsters and mythology.
Hundley chapter 3 . 6/16/2012
Perfect B.J. I still have hope that the Show will address how Dean feels about John. I know the Show trashed John's character, but I still see the extreme love he had for the boys behind that trashing, so I still have fondness for the character and remember back in the day when the love of the family propelled this series to my all-time favorite TV show...and TV characters. Let's form a prayer circle that we'll see that again in S8.
SamDeanLover28 chapter 3 . 6/16/2012
great
irismay42 chapter 2 . 6/3/2012
Absolutely agree that it would be fantastic if the boys could work out their differences with John in person. And I think you're right, I think Sam has in many ways made peace with his dad, with his upbringing, and with why John did what he did, whereas Dean seems to have drifted further and further away from him the more he found out.

Here's hoping Jeremy Carver can find a way to coax JDM back! Although I have to say Matt Cohen did a grand job in that scene with Sam in The Song Remains the Same!
sylia91 chapter 2 . 6/3/2012
I think you are very correct that Sam was able to resolve his conflicting emotions about John but Dean is still very affected. He has moved from unconditional obedience to anger and needs to cometo a realization that John was imperfect but did love and value him. Dean's self esteem is still so wrapped up in John that it will be difficult for him to really heal without moving through this.
DJ Sparkles chapter 2 . 6/3/2012
Well done as always!
HeroicDean chapter 2 . 6/3/2012
I completely loved this chapter as well as your AN. The reason, I think, Sam had such a complicated relationship with John was because he wasn't content to just roll over and do whatever John wanted him to do. You can call that teenage rebellion or whatever you like, but John needed absolute and total compliance from both boys because of the life they were leading and how one single mistake could spell out the end for them.

'I didn't understand...not then' I'm sure Sam wishes he could go back to being oblivious to what his father was doing when he was gone. I remember when Sam first found out about the supernatural and how he was completely broken up about it.

Like you said in your AN, I like how Sam came to forgive John, and I like how they constantly say that Sam is more like the Dad than Dean is because for awhile we thought that Dean and John were more similar to each other but it was really Sam and John.

Hands down my favorite John and Sam moments were in "Dead Man's Blood" with that huge screaming match they had with each other-they were both so angry with each other (and hurt, on Sam's part) I think Sam was hurt during that fight when he said that John was the one that closed the door not him.

And then when they made up! I loved that part hands down. I could watch that scene a million times and not get bored. I love how John tells Sam that regardless of what Sam thinks of him, he never wanted his kids to grow up with this life that they had, and then the revelation that the real reason John got so mad when he left wasn't just because of the fact that he wanted him around for the fight, he was really scared that Sam would be, like he said, vulnerable.

And dear me! I love me some Winchester dimples and Sam and John have the cutest smiles on the face of this planet!

Anyway, great story! Can't wait for another update!
SamDeanLover28 chapter 2 . 6/3/2012