Reviews for Fathers and Sons
pandora jazz chapter 2 . 6/2/2012
You did a wonderful job writing Sam's thoughts.

It sounded like him.

Thanks for the update.
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
I know how much you love John and that is clear in your AN.

This chapter with Dean's thoughts about his father is interesting. Is that what Dean really thinks about his father?

I love JDM and it would be great if he made an appearance on the show, but next season I hope we see the brothers together.

Thanks for sharing some more of Dean's thoughts with us.

Take care.
Psychee chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
I think I enjoyed your comment on Dean's 'father issues' more than the drabble. Children can and do internalize their worth from their parents and their perceptions of who their parents were. Insightful.
DJ Sparkles chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
*claps and dances* Well done as always!
SamDeanLover28 chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
Hundley chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
Like you, I believe John loved the boys. Unlike you, I think John was misguided in his love to the point of being abusive, particularly to Dean. I don't necessarily care whether John is brought back or not (and I love JDM and I liked John's character). What I want Carver to do is give Dean a story that actually shows some growth into Dean realizing some self-esteem - realizing that he is good at what he does and that what he does is worthwhile.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a resolution in the show as to how Dean feels about John now. Last we heard, John was a deadbeat dad, but other times there has been a sentence of dialogue or two to where I felt Dean just accepted that his life was his life and that's the end of it. Unfortunately, indifference (what I think he now feels for John) is worse than hating someone. Indifference means there's never another side, in this case love for what was good.

Dropping the entire Dean/John relationship from the show has been one of my disappointments with how things have gone. Unfortunately, right now they need to re-establish the Dean and Sam thing, so bigger fish and all that.
AllThingsInsane chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
I love this internal struggle that Dean has with his father. 'I'm no hero, my dad wasn't either, I used to think he was.' And he did. For the longest time he thought of his father as some super-hero, in fact I believe he told Sam that when Sam found out John's journal and read it, that John was out battling monsters. I think maybe that Dean resented John for how much responsibility he put on his shoulders at such a young age, maybe.

I wish JDM would come back! I know he's busy with 'Magic City' but it would be absolutely fantastic to have him come back, even if it was through a flashback or a ghost moment.

Jeremy Carver, are you listening? We. Want. Jeffrey. Back!
irismay42 chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
John's relationship with Dean is certainly an interesting one. I think you're right that a lot of Dean's current self-doubt might stem from losing his one solid foundation in life - his faith in his dad. We've slowly seen that chipped away over seven seasons, and if Dean can only see himself in relation to John, then John losing his position as "hero" can only destabilise Dean's assessment of himself.

I'd love to see John (and Mary) show up in Purgatory. After all, they both made deals with demons, so didn't necessarily go to Heaven, and Ash said he couldn't find them there... How busy is JDM again?
128 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9