Reviews for Sailing the High Seas of Life
constantlearner chapter 19 . 7/25/2014
I did a little research on average age of (first) marriage in the 20th century. For women it started at about 25 went down to a few years younger around the time of the second world war an then gradually rose again. (School leaving age also rose after WW2, and of course post-school education for girls became more socially acceptable.) So I think having Nancy and John engaged at 18 is not so far-fetched as you seem to fear readers will think. And they aren't rushing into things Chalet school style after about 2 meetings either. The GA might be scoring points off her Harrogate chums about having a niece engaged so young. (Some people were rather competitive about it).
Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this and, while I can see that an engagement is a great place to stop this particular story (if it's good enough for Jane Austen...), I do hope you will write more stories and post them for us to read.
Guest chapter 19 . 7/18/2014
Just a quick comment on the whole dates and ages thing. Ransome was very particulr about dates and ages, even if the gap between Swallows and Amazons and Swallowdale doesn't make sense and the quoted ages for John, Nancy, Susan and Peggy in his notes don't hang together either (see Elenare's post on LJ for why and some ideas as to how to sort it out. Irrespective of that, this story starts with John starting his last year at school (i assume before going onto Naval College) so he (and Nancy) will be about 18 when this story takes place. Whether S&A is 1929 or 1930 simply shifts the action from 1936 to 1937. In either case at that time no-one under 21 can marry without written permission from a parent or guardian. John is not the sort of chap to leave anything to chance, so I really think that Mary Walker would have known in advance what he was planning. Other than that tiny point - great story
SimonJC chapter 19 . 7/17/2014
Just read through again in honour of the completion of the story. And a fine read it is, getting better as it goes on.

I, too, look forward to a sequel if you get the chance and inspiration.

As far as ages go, my personal view is that Swallowdale took place TWO years after S&A, and the various references to "last year" therein are misprints!
Mjone21 chapter 19 . 7/14/2014
Congratulations on completing your lovely work. I enjoyed following it and am sorry to see this charming tale come to an end. I enjoyed your gentle touch with all the characters and looked forward to catching up with them with each of your updates. I hope you return to the Swallows and Amazons universe again. Your writing is a beautiful contributed to the forum.
Solo2863 chapter 19 . 7/14/2014
Thank you. As you say it has been a long time, and I must admit I had forgotten this was not yet complete so it was a very pleasant surprise to find the notification for this chapter in my inbox.

This was a very touching finale, especially Bridget's reaction to the announcement. The problem is that I have forgotten what happened at the beginning of the story, so I will go back and read it all again.

At the beginning I felt a touch of confusion with the role reversal between John and Nancy. He as the instigator of an "adventure", apparently all for breaking the rules, and Nancy the reluctant co-conspirator.

There were a few phrases I especially liked. One that sticks in my mind is "...the sun was just beginning to tickle the edges of it, causing the water to sparkle up at them." What wonderful imagery that produces? And "Roger, although rather naïve, was not as naïve as they all had assumed." That conjured up all sorts of thoughts!

Don't worry about ages. Ransome was always very vague about such things and his characters always seemed to be as old as you need them to be.

Thank you for this, and keep on wriing.
BatFink chapter 19 . 7/13/2014
I'm reviewing to let you know that I was so excited when I saw the updates and I squealed through reading but please please please please please, do a sequel or something, anything, it's just that you're the only fanfiction author who can actually properly understand the characters and the quality of your writing means that the gaps between chapters aren't bad as such, more like something to look forward to. So please go on
Miss Shell chapter 19 . 7/13/2014
Okay so I'm super tired and stuff but I was going to sleep and I got the email for the update and I literally squealed with excitement and then basically the whole way through reading it and asdfghjk it was perfect and aw just the whole chapter was great and I have re read this story so many times and it is perfect and thank you so much for writing it however long it took! At some point this week I will have to sit down and read the whole thing properly!
Shell (feathersparks149 but ff won't let me log in?)
Pixel and Stephanie Forever chapter 19 . 7/13/2014
Yes, it was an exceptionally long time to wait...

BUT WELL WORTH IT!

Everything was wrapped up nicely, the absence of Mr Beckett suggests he was working for one of the Spy Agencies - I presume MI6.

Also, a very nice call back in using the term Commodore from Nancy towards John... A very nice touch that...

Another reason why they could be marrying quicker is that the pair both know that war is coming... Like Bridget says!

Well, it has been a singular pleasure and an honour to read this, and I can only hope that the sequel holds much of the same level of enjoyment that this one has given me.

Pixel and Stephanie
obriest chapter 18 . 5/5/2014
please update soon
Twiggy288 chapter 16 . 12/16/2013
The fairytale was so cuteeeeee. I loved this chapter!
BatFink chapter 18 . 12/7/2013
YAY!
I always get so excited with a new chapter.
Did John ask Mrs Blackett for Nancy's hand?
How old are they?
The bit with Bridget was funny, and the magnifying glass part was sweet.
I can't wait for the next chapter, yay!
Pixel and Stephanie Forever chapter 18 . 12/7/2013
*looks at emails... Sees new chapter... go past... looks back...*

A NEW CHAPTER!

OH DEAR LORD, THE HEAVENS HAVE FALLEN!

Seriously, though, another great chapter from your good self.

I have a sneaking suspicion that John asked Mrs Blackett for Nancy's hand - knowing it would mean a lot if he asked before proposing

Update soon, or else my laser guided monkeys will attack with out mercy
constantlearner chapter 18 . 12/7/2013
I enjoyed this greatly - a lovely cheering piece. Loved the bit with Bridget in the kitchen especially.
northcountry chapter 17 . 11/28/2013
This is such a gem of a fic! Hope you post some more soon! It's always so exciting to find a good S&A story. :)
Jacynthe Bleue chapter 17 . 10/20/2013
Good job and keep going! Glad to see that the mothers are ready to let Nature Take its Course, and the make-believe game (and Nancy's comment on it) was a nice piece of psychological projection.