Reviews for I Would Understand
Random Flyer chapter 1 . 2/7
This was very well written and a little unexpected. Most of the stories I've read with this setting/theme deals with John being the one in danger. Thanks for posting this.
librarywitch chapter 1 . 9/12/2013
Oh man this is awesome. Such a fantastic picture of John and Greg.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
Big clue in the flash scenes after the jump.
Look up what it says on the Newspaper that Mycroft was reading.
See what you can do with that.
hjohn302 chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
Oh wow... I... I've been reading a bunch of your other stories and "favoriting" them, haven't commented on all of them, but they are taking my breath away!

You are an amazing writer, with a firm grasp on the characters. I LOVE this one! Amazing how you managed to capture Lestrade's confusion, his emotions over his job and absolute need to figure out what happened to make sense of it all. And then using John to come to him on the roof... the absolute hell he was going through, though you didn't put us in his head, you used Lestrade's observations in such a way that we clearly knew what was happening to him.

This is so good. Thank you for sharing your talents!
temporary relief chapter 1 . 6/25/2012
I've read this one shot so many times that it might be sad. I absolutely love it (and your other works). I just got into Sherlock (well, I just caught up to TRF), but I already adore Lestrade! He's absolutely amazing, and I think you write him very accurately. It was very poignant and well written. I loved and hated that it was John who talked him down. Poor guy. Anyway, this is such a fantastic story! Have a great day :)
Ombre Pluie chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
so If is so dramatic, but when John talked about the cctv festival, it's just hilarious. Really. I've the picture of Mycroft with popcorn in face of a big screen and I can't help myself, I just laugh for entire minutes. And then, John said he was a poor rescuer and I think I'will cry. My god, I'ts a so beautifull bittersweet story. Alway at the limit between laughter and tears, and it was one of the most beautiful I read on the subject of "after Sherlock".

Thanks for this fic!
owl-eats-waffles chapter 1 . 6/8/2012
Wow. This is the most powerful thing I've read for a long time. As always, beautifully written, and conveying the characters so clearly and vividly. Truly engrossing, to the extent I looked up after I'd finished it and half expected to be there. Incredible.
editor frog chapter 1 . 6/6/2012
Lovely! I can see something like this happening, especially if Lestrade were to have his warrant card revoked.

I particularly liked John's bit about his mind, body and stomach. For all we've studied Lestrade, Molly, Mycroft and even the so-called team at the Met, I find it odd we have not explored John's reaction to the Fall and its aftermath more in-depth. Possibly a challenge for us both?

Excellent work!
bemj11 chapter 1 . 6/5/2012
I loved this. It was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Well done.
Gwaeros chapter 1 . 6/5/2012
That is beautiful. Really. There are no words. I love all of it, particularly this line:

"My mind thinks I'm down there on the street, looking up. My body thinks I'm in Kandahar. And all of me thinks I'm going to be sick, so mind your shoes."
northerlywind chapter 1 . 6/1/2012
I'm sure it's getting tiring to hear from me but I must say it: brilliant work as always! The angst, the characters, oh it's wonderful.
The Red Fedora chapter 1 . 5/31/2012
Wow that was emotional...and brilliant too:-)

Was very excited to see a new piece by you
SomeoneSarah chapter 1 . 5/31/2012
Why do I torture myself with all of these Reichenbach stories? It's far too soon after the tragedy... Anyway, I loved it. Your writing is brilliant, and you have the characters down perfectly. It's great.
Time and Fate chapter 1 . 5/31/2012
Ooooh so brilliant. I hadn't even thought he'd look like a jumper until John said it. Brilliant as always :)

Btw, have you seen the Elementary trailer yet? It's terrible. Sherlock Holmes unhappy at finding a dead body? Pah.
CrazyCousinEiko chapter 1 . 5/31/2012
"...empty hands in empty pockets..." Oh gosh, you had to break my poor heart from the get-go, didn't you? XD I love how much more that implies- that it's not just his hands and pockets that are empty. With that, I knew it had to be Lestrade.

This, too- "He was no sprinter, Lestrade; he'd turned to Sherlock for short, brilliant bursts of intellectual speed. No, Lestrade was a long-distance runner. Slow sometimes, plodding in pace, but indefatigable. He usually got there in the end." I've always loved this about this man- it's part of what makes him so endearing. Just because he can't match up to Sherlock doesn't mean he never tries. If that weren't enough, you just HAD to go breaking my poor little heart again with this:

"John Watson's sudden presence on the roof was one mystery too many on a day far too long. It did not compute."

And then John- dear, sweet, wonderful John. I love your writing, honestly I do, but having John up there, that soon... that poor, poor man.

This- "Feet set apart, arms open at his sides, he was as pale as the building beneath them and just as unmoving." and this- "John appeared to be fighting both the urge to take cover and the desire to hit something very, very hard." and this as well "Christ, the man was all squared shoulders and clenched fists now, starting to breathe hard."

That poor man. It must be so hard for him to be up there just to save his friend. I've never read a fic where John is the one who's concerned over Lestrade's well-being after THe Fall- usually he's so wrapped up in his own grief that it's Lestrade who has to help him. I appreciate the new angle- but my goodness, it still seems so cruel even on the second readthrough.

I'm going on and on like you don't understand, but from this you obviously do- "His first instinctive reaction, as rapid as a reflex, was fury. What genius thought it was a good idea to send John up here to the scene of Sherlock's farewell? As if the man hadn't gone through enough. God, it was cruel." You're the genius, Morgan (and I'm only half sarcastic about that XD).

It's so sweet though about how Molly monitors the roof, and this- "I'm afraid you're currently the star of his own personal CCTV film festival." That's just so Mycroft, isn't it? It made me smile a little. And then I read this, and it made me sad and want to hug poor John again- "John's hand shot out and crumpled a handful of Lestrade's shirt into a tight fist, anchoring the older man to the roof, confirming he was safe." and this, too- "willing to wade through a private hell to make sure Lestrade survived another day."

And I might as well say this as well- "My body thinks I'm in Kandahar. And all of me thinks I'm going to be sick, so mind your shoes." My next door neighbor was a medic in Afghanistan. He was deployed 4 times over there. He and I carpool to college together now, and I hear all sorts of stories about his PTSD. So seeing John like this just makes my heart ache even more, and the conversation that follows... I keep thinking you've already broken my heart enough, but you keep on breaking it even more! You're the only person I know who can do this. Honestly. Stop- no, keep going. I love your writing so very, very much.

...but it still hurts.