Reviews for the measurement of you and me
Luna Rapunzel chapter 1 . 1/27
Ahh, I can see why you like this one so much! You are brilliant as always, my love.

Loving the "eyes closed" then "heart closed" resonance between the first and last lines; it's a neat transition from Finnick physically not looking so that he can imagine it's Annie instead of Katniss there with him to a statement of Finnick shutting down his emotions to deal with the aftermath of the Games (and, in effect, therefore not really dealing with the Games properly at all, which is the real tragedy going on here - the effect they've had on Finnick's and Katniss's loves and abilities /to/ love again). I'm actually all about all the eye imagery you have going on here, since it's a nice way to thread all the disparate lines together under that unifying theme of not just the image of eyes but of motifs about seeing and choosing not to see and not being able to help seeing - all the spots where Finnick closes his eyes, or he squints his eyes, or he sees things in Katniss's eyes (especially "despair at what can't be unseen"), or "she's an eyes-wide-open kind of girl" - that line was excellent for so many reasons, by the way.

I love the line "sit there with his eyes closed and pretend that everything is /okay/," especially with that emphasis you've added at the end; Finnick's desperation in that moment is so raw and obvious and relatable, even without having to put it in many word. Other specific line highlights: "He can match the pain in spades, but his river's run dry" (I wasn't a huge fan of the "currents of her love" follow-up, but at least up until there your metaphor was super gorgeous haha); that "he can't get out" of the twisted happily-ever-after, and even the fact that he's /calling/ it a happily-ever-after, because it's really not, but his word choice there really goes to show how trapped he feels in it; the "eyes-wide-open" bit like I mentioned; "gift of her regard" because that's such another great characterizing detail for Finnick, really highlighting the worthlessness he's feeling, and it's so ironic because he thinks he doesn't deserve the "gift" of her attention or affection /because/ he doesn't want her like he wants Annie, and that's a very vicious cycle you've got going there, and it's a great thing to wrap your head around here.

I love this and I love you. -mwah-
Puck33 chapter 1 . 1/12
Greetings, friend! So, it's good to meet you- well, review you, anyway- I've heard a lot about you in the lovely Reviews Lounge Too.

I selected this fic to read because the number of reviews was lower than many of your other fics- but oh my, this deserves way more reviews than it has. It's beautiful.

I think you are a poet in disguise. How else could you express so much in so few words? The first and last lines, in particular, express a sentiment with beautiful simplicity that most would spend paragraphs laboriously detailing. Another one of my favorite lines is "Maybe this time if he squeezes them tight enough." It's a thought that betrays a desire somewhere between hope and wish that comes only with true desperation.

Another line I loved: "she's an eyes-wide-open kind of girl." I love this one because it is subject to so many interpretations. To me, it means that he wants to linger and savor the moments he had, while she is too hurt by the past and would rather concentrate on the now, rather try to never miss a moment. Yet, I can see several other, equally accurate, interpretations.

Where do you get the quotes for the beginnings of your pieces? They are always so fitting.

One criticism I do have is that while this Finnick is well developed and relatable, he is somehow not the Finnick I know from the books. Somehow, the gravity of this work mars the lightness of Finnick's humor and lovingness. But at the same time I completely understand why you chose to protray him that way.

The bit about the morning breath was the only part that fell a little short for me. I didn't quite see the purpose of a remark so casual in such a philosophical piece. In a way, it messed with the unity of the story.

I'll finish with one more line that I loved: when you talk about the happily ever after that he can't escape. This is so original! I had never seen anything else that viewed happily ever after as a prison, but in this case it so very much is and the line was a flawless conveyance of that.

You are a truly talented author, Wendy! I will definitely be looking at more of your work.

TTFN, Puck
Guest chapter 1 . 11/27/2013
Super interesting AU here; Katniss and Finnick's response to Peeta and Annie's death could very well be this. You write a lot with few words, and I love the repetition of the first and last lines, how the change of a single word ends this on a very poignant note.
eSJa chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
It never fails, I stop reading fan fiction for a while because I don't have time for reviews; I come back and you always have something new and I'll be damned if every time I'm not struck somehow.

As usual, the grammer is spotless and the flow isn't stream of conscious but it certainly is a well worn pattern for him. Which is part of why it's so sad, you really have a firm grip on Finnick's saddness. I feel like more than anything it's what defines him in this AU.

I don't know how you do it, but the air of thier bedroom, the same old tired routine that they have resigned themselves to is palpable and in that and knowing the characters it's that much more heartbreaking.

Bittersweet might be one way to sum it up, but more than that it's just life and Wendy dear, you have nailed it.
irmelonlord chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
-cries-
That was so beautifully tragic. I loved it.
stand in your light chapter 1 . 12/20/2012
This is flawless and beautiful and perf.
And asdfggjkl why? Why?
degaussers chapter 1 . 8/22/2012
Ugh, can you say perfect? I ship Odesta forever and somehow now Finnick/Katniss makes sense... heartbreaking little AU, I loved it!
marblesharp chapter 1 . 6/13/2012
I like this a lot. You connected to the prompt seamlessly without having to actually include Finnick thinking about their losses as holes. Nice work!
singing like blue chapter 1 . 6/11/2012
This is really cool, Wendy! I can see why you beat me!
srslyjulia chapter 1 . 6/5/2012
I love Odesta with all my heart, but Katnnick is a really intriguing pairing. I love this 3
bleachers chapter 1 . 6/1/2012
Hey, OUCH.

This was painful to read because, oh my god, broken!Finnick/Katniss, I can't.

I loved that it was onesided and you didn't have them just forget about Peeta and Annie because that would never, ever happen.

It fit the prompt really well, I thought, because asdjkasdgdf there aren't holes bigger than Peeta and Annie and oh, oh, god, I loved this.

Thank you for participating!