Reviews for An Arena of Stone: Untold Stories of the 49th HG
OwlMist chapter 37 . 8/3/2015
Hiya,

it's been a while since I last read this but since the last movie is coming out I decided to reread the books, and then I felt compelled to reread this because of past fondness to it. and I'm really glad I did, so I hope you don't mind me reviewing again. and it's gonna be long.

I remember when you first posted this, the very very beginning, before the first movie even came out. Back then, there was a group of users going around and reporting SYOT's, leaving tons of reviews blasting them for 'rule-breaking'. I thought then that you were going to get discouraged and quit this, but I am so very glad you didn't. You started it up, sent out 3 long, intriguing and well written chapters in a week and I was hooked. Then there was that week when all the SYOTs got deleted from this site, and I thought for sure you might stop writing it. But you put it right back up and came back with a force, putting out chapter after chapter, all well-constructed with interesting character development and description of setting and devices. Reading it all the way through at once, I can see your writing style and quality progress significantly as time goes on, and what I loved at the beginning seems mediocre compared to the quality towards the end (and I mean this in the best way)

Part of the reason I loved this story was because of my own character, but that's a given. It's an unavoidable feeling; you can't not love a story in which your tribute survives and wins. But what really makes me love this story is that your writing makes me love the characters that aren't even mine. Sierra, Nic, Killian, Lara, Vee. They have a substance that endears me to them even when I have no other reason to. You were givin these tributes by someone else on a form, but you made them human, you gave them life and made them your own. Also your setting. Your plot. It's riveting and exciting, you don't give too much away, you let the audience think and calculate as they read. It's fun. I love it. I was just plain giddy reading this story the second time around. Even when I knew how it would end, I was excited to keep going, to relive what I may have forgotten. It's just a good read.

I love this story, I love your writing. Even if it has flaws in typing or grammar, this is one of my all time favorites. It brought me joy to read the first time, as it does now, and maybe it will again in the future, who knows? Thank you for bringing it to life. Thank you for everything. Happy Hunger Games.
sunkissedbubbletea chapter 34 . 1/8/2014
MADDIE WAS MY FAVOURITE! Aww... R.I.P Maddie. This story makes me way too emotional...
sunkissedbubbletea chapter 27 . 1/8/2014
'I've been poisoned' XD That. Had me laughing so hard I was crying.
GeorgeMellark6 chapter 35 . 12/29/2013
I was rooting for Lexi from the start! Such a shame she's dead :( She was one of my favourites, along with Shay and Lee. Such an amazing storyline. Can't wait to find out the victor!
belle of the ball s2 chapter 38 . 10/25/2013
Pretty amazing, aftermath / conclusion chap was a nice touch, turned out pretty well, considering. Helped tie up a couple loose ends, feels more like the end ... if that makes sense?
Aspect of One chapter 38 . 10/25/2013
A really nice end to An Arena of Stone. It's good to know how the families coped with the deaths of the tributes though I find Angela's one slightly heartbreaking. Sierra's and Nic's one really got to me D:
ChauvinisticAmateur chapter 38 . 10/25/2013
Aww, this was so sad. All I can say is poor Naomi! I liked her in the end. She was veritable :(. It is just sad how they think she was annoying when it was her sister that pestered her by practicing her Career skill by throwing knives at her. But, oh well. Nice update! I didn't expect this coming, but it was good to have some closure on the tributes.
Pawprinter chapter 38 . 10/24/2013
Yay, an update. I loved reading through this because it helped give me some closure on what happened to their families in the end.
The one thing I noticed that bothered me a little was the occasional "line break" miss. In some snippets, two weren't separated by a line break. I don't know, being picky here. I think it was the upload that sometimes removes these/a word occasionally. A few authors I read from have this problem. Anyway, thought I'd point that out even if it was the website/an error on your part. It didn't bother me too much, it just didn't help with the flow of reading. I don't know, maybe it's just me and my picky mind. Hahaha.
I love the connections you make from this story and the 51st (mentioning Vitz's daughter, Lexi's sister, Haymitch, Alicia Thorne). It really helps with the flow and it helps connect the dots.
I also loved reading more about Vitz and Lexi, since I love them. I always love to read about them. I loved the part about Corolla and the school. It seems perfect for her! Their histories were perfect for how I imagined their history would go. I couldn't be more happy.
I think this chapter really helped me with everything, and helped me with letting go of these characters a bit. It was perfect and I can't imagine a better ending for this story.
Thanks for the update! I'll be waiting for the next one for 51st!
-Paw
OwlMist chapter 38 . 10/24/2013
(YOU UPDATED THIS AND I NEVER KNEW, STUPID GMAIL)
I really like the style of this chapter; it really reminds me of the snippets that are usually at the ends of the credits of based-on-true-story movies. There was closure that I didn't realize was necessary until it happened. I wish more people did this tbh
That was a great way to end it: a mix if sad and neutral (because it can't really be too happy if this is a hunger games fix, amirite)
StarshotFourteen chapter 38 . 10/24/2013
I absolutely loved that. I think every single author should do one of these, it's very good to have some closure. Of course I think everything you do is brilliant, but still. Thank you so much for this.
factionless-tribute chapter 38 . 10/24/2013
Thanks for this chapter. As a reader, it was good to get some closure as well.
All these snippets were really sad to read, but I definitely found Angela's and Killian's the saddest.
All in all, I reckon you did a great job closing off all of these characters and closing this story. Can't wait to read more of your next one :)
Dante Alighieri1308 chapter 38 . 10/24/2013
Yeah! I was a little disappointed with the ending of the story but this really helped! Well... I loved the last chapter! I mean I just wanted to see a little more of these characters. Thanks for delivering!

Short but sweet, you had a nice mix of sad ending and good ending to keep a nice balance. It's also cool that you were able to make connection with your chapter here with the 51st Games. I'm a little confused by Diesal though... who was his kid? I'm just confused because you have 3 District 4 tributes listed, unless I'm reading that wrong which I totally might be.

Awww... nice ending for Sierra and Nic. At least they're together in death.

Well Zach's was awful, though I did like it. I also like how you kept things open ended with Zach's sister. Those kind of endings are sometimes better for readers as you can keep your mind open as to what happens next. Also Angela's 'parents' ending was appropriate. They had only known her for a few days so it makes sense that they would quickly move on, though a little heartless of them. Mourning period, people?

Oh yes, Vee's death is just another cause of Haymitch's drinking. He went crazy after 50th though...

Loved this chapter! I actually really like this style of quick excerpts that went to every tribute's close ones. Thank you so much for posting one of these chapters! I love it when authors of SYOTs do this. Closure is nice!

Excited for the 51st update! (whenever haha)
PurpleLilyFlower chapter 37 . 10/24/2013
...final chapter. The...end? And Capri won! Yay yay yay yay! She's awesome! So epilogue? RIGHT! I'm going to read your other story now
PurpleLilyFlower chapter 36 . 10/24/2013
Yeah, called it. Vitz died. Nice Harry Potter moment with Vee there. I NEED TO READ MORE
PurpleLilyFlower chapter 35 . 10/24/2013
Lexi...died? That was so sad :( you gave her a brilliant death though. I think Sierra will kill Vitz too. Capri and Vee made an interesting alliance and Vee is totally cray cray