Reviews for Haxby in the Afternoon
Bloodsired chapter 11 . 5/23/2013
Just finished it in one sitting, Oh it's so wonderful to explore R/M relationship not to mention I just marathon Season 2. I always feel that the Crawleys is very quick to judge Richard character and I'm affirmed that Richard and Mary could build a good team. Anyway, you are very good in characterization, in using Haxby and its environment as a symbolism to their mere past it help Mary to realize that residing in Haxby is not right if she is looking for a fresh start as well as giving a second glance who is really Richard Carlisle. Btw, I'm quite amused with the fist fight with Mathew at least now they were even. ;)
astoria26 chapter 11 . 4/24/2013
This is, hands down, my favorite Richard/Mary fic yet! Oh my, how much I needed this! Total, total catharsis. I, too, was sitting there during that awful Xmas ep going – huh? What the hell happened from the end of the previous ep, when it seemed they might turn a new leaf after all – to now? They made Richard into such a cartoon villain, and I felt really sorry for the actor (the amazing, gorgeous Iain Glen) for having to portray him in such a way. This character had so much potential, yet it seems like the creator didn’t care one iota about him ... :(

Which is why I LOVED this story! And best of all, it seems so plausible too, so REAL. I could see it all: him drinking on the stairs … she not being able to sleep, needing to find him one last time. And then that fight with Matthew! LOL! I must say, I totally dug it.

Most of all, I loved your astute observation of how Haxby represented all that went wrong in their courtship. Of how he was trying too hard to be something he’s not, and she needed a change that was far, far beyond Haxby. You have *such* an innate feel for these characters, their dialogue, their actions – gah! Please say you’ll continue to write more! :D
dd23 chapter 11 . 4/16/2013
This was fabulous! I don't recall reading through to the end before, but I must have at least started it because I clearly left feedback on a previous chapter. Anyway, finished it now, loved it to pieces, and will move on to Dispatches in America and look for more by you. Really, really well-done.
virtualclutter chapter 11 . 12/4/2012
This was amazing!

I've only very recently found my way to the Mary / Richard ship (I'm ordinarily a M/M shipper), although I've always enjoyed Richard as a character and have found his dynamic with Mary fascinating. So glad I found this fic - I love the way you scrutinise the characters and their position vis a vis each other and their respective place in society and the way this guides their responses to each other. Beautifully observed and written!
1life2ROCK chapter 11 . 11/13/2012
Really like this. Am a huge M/M fan but loveddddddd this story!
lalyta8 chapter 11 . 9/25/2012
perfectly beautiful. hope to see much more of your writing regarding them two. loved it.
Caine chapter 11 . 8/4/2012
How Sweeet!
SEQUEL! SEQUEL!
I really loved your story with all of my heart. This was the first multi chapter Richard/Mary story I had ever read. I'm happy that it came to such a happy conclusion. You were always able to capture their characteristics and emotions so perfectly. Especially Richards. Thank you so much I truly enjoyed reading and waiting for your updates. I hope you find it in you to write a sequel. I would like to see how they live their lives and deal with the Crawleys.
Caine chapter 10 . 8/4/2012
Awe. This was sweet.
miss Kittyplank chapter 11 . 7/17/2012
Well, that was a bit bloody good, wasn't it? I loved it, everything about it! I love how you write their relationship and how you manage to make them succeed as a couple without compromising their characters which some fics do often do. I like that they've chosen not to live at Haxby, because that isn't a home they've made together, and how you used Haxby as another character, pinning the whole piece together - very original. The entire thing has been a pleasure to read, you are quite the writer and do hope you give us more soon!
Guest chapter 11 . 7/9/2012
I read all of this last night on my phone after finding it on mrstater's favourites list and I'm so glad I did. It was an absolutely fascinating story - well, psychological, philosophical character analysis, in a way. I loved how Haxby became a kind of labyrinthine, gothic metaphor for their relationship - so inventive. I admit I love Matthew so your take on him was difficult to read, but a valid one, I think, and it's important to see other POVs. The debate between Richard and Mary, the give and take, the banter, the power games, the growing change and understanding - all so wonderfully done. And this is your first fanfic? Impressive. Congratulations!
Alice shipper chapter 11 . 7/9/2012
Well i guess everything has to come to an end, no matter how perfect it is.

When they walk out of Haxby at last, they become so natural as a couple.

Thank you. This two months' date with your story would be one of my best memories in 2012.
Alice shipper chapter 10 . 7/9/2012
OK i didn't realize that my page's default settings had always been listing stories rated from K-T, that was the reason i couldn't see your updates since say about 2 weeks. I was desperate, i kept refresh and refresh, you won't know how sad i was... Then today i log in and just found out . And that reminds me to log on this site more often so that you can check out your favorite stories just in time.

Back to this chapter, this is just perfect in every way. I love the lovemaking(well who doesn't ? : D) , full of details , and Mary's thought afterwards. But my favorite part is the foreplay(is it?), your describe of "as if posed to begin a waltz. Mary felt dizzy like they had been spinning for hours", is just too emotional for me to handle. I don't know why i like this line so much, it's really a great summery to the things happened in the afternoon, even to their whole history! My heart melts for them, for this part, i let out a big breath, yes, regrets, misunderstandings, flirts, happiness, after all this years, finally they find peace in their relationship.

Thank you so much for this story.
Guest chapter 11 . 7/9/2012
*insert flailing and squealing*

I've read this through twice now, including right before bed, which gave me dreams about certain aspects of the fic-I woke up in the middle of the night and thought, "How long will it take them to drive to London? Will they make it straight through? Or will they have to stop for a sinful night? And what will Mary do about clothes since she's left all her things at Downton?" So I'm counting on you to satiate my curiosity. (If you thought you were getting off the hook by completing your story, you're wrong; you only whet my appetite for more. ;))

This was just such a perfect conclusion to the story. I absolutely love how you've used Haxby as a symbol of all they did wrong in their relationship. It's a good tie-in with that episode, where Mary's reluctance about it masks itself as indifference. She knew something wasn't right, and you really used all that to bring their wrong relationship approach to the forefront. So having Mary come to the point where she realizes that building something worth happen means literally building their country estate, and doing what she can to fit herself into Richard's life in London in the meantime, is huge for her. (And the way you revisited that canon dialogue was really clever and well done.)

So many lines I loved in this, but especially "there were many Matthews in the world, but only one Richard Carlisle," which I think basically sums up my own feelings about Matthew and how he just doesn't interest me, lol. And also the one about Richard seeing the misshapen edges of Mary's puzzle pieces and her failure to realize he was in the wrong box entirely. I've been having a lot of thoughts lately about how Richard fits in between worlds, and I think that fuels a lot of his desperation in the R/M relationship.

I don't think I can possibly do justice to this fic, other than to say it's been lovely having a regular feast of R/M, and I really do hope you'll do that sequel. :D Thank you so much for this wonderful read.
Guest chapter 11 . 7/8/2012
Bravo! What a beautiful story. Part of me wanting Matthew to be there when they left and watch as Mary went with Richard, but this is sweet as well :)
Guest chapter 11 . 7/8/2012
Checked repeatedly for updates to this story...great ending - the characterization of these two and what they could be was riveting. If you ever want to drop in on this Richard and Mary again, there is at least one reader who would love to see the reaction at Downton and other snippets from the life these two build.