Reviews for Time On My Hands 1
AHAUS4 chapter 1 . 5/17/2015
Thank you.

I enjoyed "Voyager" so very much. Your short story seems right in line with what could have happened.
Iowanmom chapter 1 . 5/1/2014
So sad but she does need to find herself again...
skadoo chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
Ooh, I'm liking this but wish all the parts were linked together...
imnotacommittee chapter 1 . 5/4/2013
Really great character study. It starts off a bit sad and ends with wonderful "clean start" symbolism and hope. I like that it's not all a party for Kathryn when she returns, but she won't let it get her down; she's in a sad place but she acknowledges it and takes the first steps to getting out of it. This whole series is going to be a fun ride!
Jordan Trevor chapter 1 . 7/16/2012
I’m rereading the series from the beginning – waiting for part 8 :) - and I have to say that this is the perfect start.

I like how Janeway takes down all the medals and ribbons from her walls to embark on a new goal of finding herself. Yet as the series progresses, it seems that finding herself does involve Chakotay more than she might have been willing to admit.

I like the image of Chakotay’s and Seven’s bags being mingled together in contrast to the separation of belongings after New Earth.

But for some reason, my favorite line is: “He sighed and rubbed his ear, a gesture so familiar to me I can picture it as if he were sitting beside me now.”

Chakotay can say a thousand words with one ear tug!
PinkAngel17 chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
After you posted the companion piece on VAMB I had to re-read this one. It's just so sad, but beautifully done and so poignant. And I love the ray of hope at the end. :)
beautyofsorrow chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
I know I left a pseudo-review on VAMB, but I wanted to reiterate how beautiful I found this piece to be. It shows your immense understanding of Janeway's character, and highlights your passion for delving into it. This kind of understanding isn't the kind that comes with exhaustive research and countless rewatches. Granted, these can help, but you have to have that connection with Janeway, that uncanny knack for knowing exactly what she would say exactly when and probably not exactly why, other than the fact that she WOULD.

And I love that.

It's so rare that I find an author on here who truly gets a character in this way, and whenever I do, I tend to read whatever they write, regardless the pairing and my feelings on them.

Here, I love how you've sketched a melancholy, resigned, hope-tinged view of Kathryn and Chakotay's relationship. The "barely a friendship" line struck me particularly. I'd never thought of it that way, and I like it, honestly. And not because of my beliefs on that pairing. I just... like it.

My favorite part, though, comes in this lovely twist:

"Who I am.

Who am I?"

It gives me chills whenever I read it, and I honestly can't say why. But sometimes, the why isn't what matters, is it?

Overall, beautiful job. Keep 'em coming!
pennyd chapter 1 . 6/6/2012
A wonderful story - and very realistic. As a die-hard J/C; I hate to think of C leaving with 7, but I have always also thought they both needed time to figure out who they were after their adventure. That's what happens in real life - it did to me when I came home from deployment a different woman than when I left. I'd love to read more of her journey (and hopefully how she ends up with C)! LOL

Thank you for sharing your talent. I have read all your Voyager stories and enjoy them very much.
SusanC chapter 1 . 6/3/2012
Another beautifully crafted character study. I am glad to see that your Kathryn is mature enough to recognize the person she has become and work to find who she is or wants to be. And as an ardent J/Cer, I think the new Kathryn will combine the best of the past and future as a person who will want to remain connected with her Voyager team, but especially Chakotay, whether as close friends or more.

Given the strained nature of the J/C relationship at the end, a period apart from each other is probably best, as well as time for introspection. Chakotay can handle down time well, but I suspect Seven needs a goal and will be dismayed at the world she is entering and become unsatisfied with her more spiritual companion.

Would love to see how you view J, C, and Seven after a number of months...
CrlkSeasons chapter 1 . 6/3/2012
A thoughtful character study - beautifully written, full of insight.

"I've always been so focused on the next goal ... that I've never figured out what to do when all the goals are achieved," and "... it would mean that I was good ... that I was worthy ... of what I can't even remember."

Finally, "I have a new goal ... the prize will be my own self." That is ultimately the best prize that anyone can strive for.
Annette-Rose chapter 1 . 6/3/2012
Love it. For starters, I love the way it ends with the same phrase as it started with. I also love how you take her down the road of development into something new, rather than the usual 'back to the way she was before'. I myself have experienced already that you can never go back to a previous state as life makes too much of an impact. And who exactly will she grow into? Something that holds a part of all she has ever been, and all she can be? As I said, love it :-D
Kerry J chapter 1 . 6/3/2012
Great! Very believable but also very sad in a way. I couldn't help but feel for Kathryn reading this. I'm glad you ended it on a hopeful note and in my mind I've decided this is not the end! ;-)
mabb5 chapter 1 . 6/3/2012
Lovely, bittersweet vignette. Precisely written. Carefully written. With skill and emotional understanding. Well done.