Reviews for Ronin & Sophomore
Secundum chapter 10 . 10/8/2014
I really like this story. It's SUCH a shame that it appears to have been abandoned.
Matthew W Bigham chapter 10 . 10/1/2014
Awesome
lucian4025 chapter 10 . 12/14/2013
Really want to see this updated! Great story!
Arcane Alchemist chapter 10 . 4/23/2013
Epicly late review! (It has been a few weeks since I actually read this chapter but I guess I really should review it). Kanako’s increasingly obvious perversion (and Motoko’s subsequent near mental breakdown trying to figure out how to deal with it) was quite funny. The scene with Toaster-chan has to be the most disturbingly erotic scene with a kitchen appliance I have ever read, I really don’t know whether to be horrified or just burst out laughing. Finally the doll thing was interesting; I am looking forward to seeing where you take that in the future. Hope to see chapter 11 soon!
Arcane Alchemist chapter 9 . 4/6/2013
Another good chapter, loved the kitchen stuff and Keitaro’s cursed dole obsession. The initial interaction with Naru was probably the first example of over the top we have seen so far in the story. It was kind of weird how badly she reacted; I’m hoping to see some sort or explainer on that later. Now I don’t actually like Naru, at all, but it still seemed a little out of character for her to be that aggressive and rude to someone who wasn’t a “perverted male”, but that is just my take on it. Motoko’s “smarter not harder” approach to perverts is refreshing to see, it shows a new take on her familiar pet hate and shows she has restraint and control of her anger, if she has time to think it through. The explanation of Urashima magic being primarily about healing was a good way to go and makes allot of sense, both with there hot spring and Keitaro’s personality, well done!
Arcane Alchemist chapter 8 . 4/6/2013
Good to see some action in this chapter. Kanako introduction (more to the point her flashback) was good, I like how you have done her character. A farley good end to the kidnapping mystery. I liked how you have Gosunkugi as a sought of recurring antagonist, but not an over the top one. He knows when to cut his losses, relies on planning and experience as opposed to unrealistic skills or power, this makes him a good opponent and one that seems believable both as to why he can keep getting away but is unable to beat the good guys right off the bat. It isn’t often you see a non-OP, moderate but unscrupulous villain, well done. As to the comment about you characters being boring, I think it is more about relativity. Love Hina’s characters are so ridiculously over the top that when you take away the most unreasonable of there issues and have yet to introduce half of the cast; it can seem a little dull in comparison. Personally, I find this more moderate take on the characters to be refreshing and realistic. The larger than life personalities are fine for the comedic harem story that Love Hina originally is most of the time, but for a more serious (if somewhat light hearted) story of two people learning how to love each other (which seems to be the main focus for a lot of the story so far), a less over the top cast is kind of necessary for it to be believable. I don’t think half of those sweet, tender moments that are so adorable in this story could survive the total chaos that we normally see. It is good to see them develop a bit before that becomes a problem. Stay the course!
Arcane Alchemist chapter 7 . 4/6/2013
Well done. The slow but steady progression on the romance front is good to see; it is well paced and seems realistic. The plot moving and a villain appearing are good, and you did all this without it ending up in some overdone doomsday plot (which is a common problem when people try to add magic or something like that to a story). The alternate background and subsequent inclusion of, Shinobu seems good. All around a good chapter with nice, but not hasty, progress.
Arcane Alchemist chapter 6 . 4/6/2013
Another good chapter. Tsuruko’s plans finally happening; only to completely go out of control and for her then to realize that they were unnecessary was grate. The background on how the Aoyama family think and have progressed was quite enlightening and interesting. The end point being Keitaro has show just how accommodating and protective he can be in regards to Motoko, and see in now thinking about her wedding night. Good fun.

PS: Keitaro’s reaction to Motoko’s test scores was hilarious, and also showed that Motoko is quite bright and had reason to be confident about her exam, even if she didn't quite make it.
Arcane Alchemist chapter 5 . 4/6/2013
A HA! I know I could feel a fate stay/night touch to this! Boundary fields, the man with swords and, my personal favourite, COOKING (a staple of all FSN stories and one of the best, slightly random, things to include in crossovers). That said, I can completely understand why you didn’t want to make this a complete crossover. The FSN magic system is absurdly complex, but it is so for a reason. The two major reasons are economy/realism and rationalisation of extremely powerful concepts. In other words, the first reason is to put limiters and restrictions on magic so that it is not some ultimate overwhelming force. The average Magi doesn’t come across as particularly powerful and only those with long lineages, grate intelligence or unique talents are really a cut above the rest, and a match for the other magical entities in there world. This all boils down to one thing, magic is HARD. This is something you seem to have captured rather well so far, with the difficulties Keitaro had with the exorcism and the limits he has, such as the Dispel taking allot of power, or the anti-bug boundary field being limited to the kitchen due to power restraints. These all seem to help put Keitaro on about equal footing with people highly trained with weaponry (old and new) an opposed to magic being some cure all solution, well done. The second reason is of course; to explain some of the high level magic they have in FSN. Servants, Reality Marbles, Conceptual Weapons/Nobel Phantasms and True Magic’s, all of which seam to have no baring on this story and as such do not need a incredibly complex meted of explanation to back them up. As such, you using a much simplified version of magic, with some FSN concepts, seem like a well thought out idea and one that will work for this story. All that said, this was a very good chapter. Letting us see Keitaro’s efforts to slowly get to know Motoko. Motoko’s view of Keitaro and some back story as to why she thinks a little differently and how she still has some of the issues she has normally but is much better about it. And of course, Tsuruko's total inability to properly understand the average guy any more then her sister. This should turn out very funny.
Arcane Alchemist chapter 4 . 4/6/2013
Good chapter. A nice amount of Keitaro/Motoko interaction and development without being rushed or unrealistic, it was well done. Also I forgot to say in my review for previous chapters, but having Haruka get married as a way to keep Hina around was well done. Finally, that “swordsman who cared of nothing but his blade and he IS a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield” comment, combined with him probably having met him in his magical studies in London, really makes me think of Fate stay/night. That could be a different reference that I am unfamiliar with, but it just seems a bit too coincidently (or just my wishful thinking).
Arcane Alchemist chapter 3 . 4/6/2013
OK that last bit was fun, most exciting Omiai meeting you’re ever likely to see! It was an interesting introduction for all three characters and our first glimpse of magic in the story. I really don’t recognize the magic you are using, if it is from something else I don’t I am ether unfamiliar with is or just don’t have enough to identify it. Still, it was all well executed, with a dash of humor in a mostly serious chapter and an ending that made me want to read more, good job!
Arcane Alchemist chapter 2 . 4/6/2013
Magi, interesting choice. I am kind of hoping you go for a Fate stay/night approach to it. FSN tends to have a more mature and realistic (relatively) outlook on magic as a whole. As a chapter it was a fairly good and interesting intro to the male lead, as well as a good way to introduce the marriage aspect.
Arcane Alchemist chapter 1 . 4/6/2013
Decent first chapter. Motoko as a Lawyer was rather inspired, her seeing the profession as a modern day way for fighting is a good perspective and makes it more realistic. I really wasn’t shore what you could have had her study, realistically. Lawyer was a grate choice and how you have presented her character in this chapter when well.
WeirdRaptor chapter 1 . 3/12/2013
Ugh. This is one of the things I hate about Japanese society. As much as I like some aspects, pressuring all women to get married before 25 is just wrong.
Seijiri chapter 10 . 12/24/2012
As a long reader of love hina i find your dipiction of the characters in this to be very sound and well rounded. This is one of the better stories ive read from the love hina fandom. Keep up the work sir!