Reviews for Selected Writings
koimizuu chapter 6 . 2/13
Another great chapter; I especially love the part Jane spotted Lisbon on TV (with his conflicted introspection; it's progress though, as he said so himself), and his Christmas dinner with Pete & Sam (and hear their opinion of him: idiot indeed!).

Still, I can't believe there isn't the chapter where Jane sent "the" shortest letter...I'm still hopeful though.
Once again thanks for your wonderful writing, it really made my day(s)!

p.s. Apparently you can't leave more than one comment in each chapter, so I'll put it here as well:
RE: request #10 (& maybe #11)

I feel for Lisbon: I understand how hard it is for Jane, but it still hurts. Ouch.
But it is still sweet that Jane said he was trying "not" to hurt her, knowing his complicated mindset at that moment.
koimizuu chapter 5 . 2/13
"Something about being in her jurisdiction was...reassuring."
This is so very sweet! (But of course Lisbon was annoyed of this decision of his of staying in CA...it's what makes this story realistic and fun)
koimizuu chapter 4 . 2/13
What a bittersweet chapter. I kept switching between Jane's POV and Lisbon's; the letters are quite out-of-sync indeed! And suddenly I feel like I'm in Annie's shoes, that I can see how much they miss each other and care about each other. (Annie's text saying "I think Aunt Reese really misses you" was a punch even for me, so I can't imagine how much worse Jane must have been feeling...)
koimizuu chapter 3 . 2/12
Another lovely chapter! It's nice to read the same scene in Jane's PoV (for some reasons it's harder to get into his head; maybe because I'm female?).
And I really love the details in your story, like how he noticed that her voice shook for the first time when she asked if he's ok, implying that she was determined about RJ but not so sure about dealing with Jane...
Guest chapter 6 . 8/29/2013
this is the end!? I want to get together snif snif snif
Patresa chapter 6 . 7/5/2013
I really want you to continue this cause i have a request for a scene when jane decided to show up at Lisbon's condo and confess. I know I'm late for that but what can i do i recently joined Fanfiction
qamadhieta chapter 6 . 2/28/2013
Hello, wanna say I really loved and enjoyed reading your Long Lost Long Last and Selected Writings. I smiled a lot while reading your fics.
Just wondering that have you ever thought to continue Selected Writings ? I'm dying to know the missing scenes when Jane receives letter from Lisbon regarding Red John on chapter 16 and before he shows up in front of Lisbon's door on chapter 17.

Sorry my English isn't good. *bows* Thank you so much, your fics made my day.

-dhieta
csiAngel chapter 6 . 11/17/2012
It's so nice to see Jane's side of things; to see him missing Lisbon and battling against that. I was thrilled to see more chapters of this. I love this universe.
Lothlorien Aeterna chapter 6 . 11/17/2012
Wonderful :)
justlook3 chapter 6 . 11/16/2012
Somehow missed this update. Very festive even if Jane is an idiot! ;)
Frogster chapter 6 . 11/16/2012
Aww, now I want a Jane to buy me tons of books. I think I'd love him forever if he did so. But he's taken. ;)

I can just see Jane turning up his nose at Barnes and Noble mediocre tea. Good thing Lisbon got him the good stuff.

Liked reliving this bit of the story. It's making me want to go back and read the whole story again. Unfortunately, what with college essays breathing down my neck, I don't have enough time. :P

I'd love a Christmas fic. Mentalist would be my first choice. (I can't seem to remember what other fandoms you write for. Could I get back to you on the prompt, though? I do know that I want J/L...

Please update soon!
Lothiriel84 chapter 6 . 11/16/2012
I loved reading about Jane shopping for Lisbon, and then happening to see her on TV.
The part where he texts Annie is much sadder - especially when he thinks he would spoil Christmas if he shows up at Annie and Tommy's place. I knows it makes sense in a way, but I can't help feeling the urge to drag him there... Especially since both him and Lisbon actually need it.
(It's so sweet when he decides not to open any of Lisbon's present until Christmas morning, no matter how much he wants to.)
At least he gets to spend Christmas with Pete and Sam. Better than being alone, at the very least.
(Pete wearing a Santa hat? Really? Oh, I'd really love to see it!)
Here's my list of favorite parts. I think I may have gone a little overboard - like Jane and Lisbon with their gifts - but still...
***
Of course she'd bought him a present. He'd have to make a point of thanking her for it when he next wrote her, she had specifically asked him not to after all.
***
He knew he wanted to buy Lisbon novels, and nothing that could be classified as even remotely practical. Which meant he would be sticking to the fiction section, and so could ignore a good half of the store. That made things more manageable in his brain. He decided to take the store section by section. Jane started wandering towards the fiction section, subtly doing his best to avoid the eyes of the salespeople. He was in no mood to be helped by an overly friendly college student eager to recommend the latest best-seller.
***
Then, glancing down at the (now rather heavy) basket on his arm, Jane realized that it was full. He frowned.
He may have gone a little overboard.
He wasn't even going to think about the postage...
Then the set of his jaw turned stubborn. He didn't care. He didn't care one little bit. Let Lisbon scold if she thought he'd been too extravagant. He was halfway across the state anyway (he knew there had to be an advantage to that). He was buying the books. Every single one. And there wasn't a single thing she could do about it. Besides, it wasn't like he had anyone else to buy for. He just...
He wanted to make her happy.
And she was always so generous, with her time, with her sympathy, really, just in general. So he was buying her a mini-library. That was all there was too it.
***
And Jane realized in disgust that the store belonged to the same chain that had once put whipped cream in his tea. Whipped cream! It was practically a crime against nature. Not to mention, the young woman behind the counter had already fumbled more than a few coffee orders. Jane had his doubts that she would be able to remember even the simplest of instructions, liking putting the milk into his teacup first.
***
A casual glance told Jane the news was on.
A second one caused him to freeze in surprise.
Because Lisbon was on the screen. He couldn't believe it, but she was. He'd been secretly trying to catch a glimpse of her for weeks, and now there she was, right in front of him, without even trying.
Quickly, he walked closer to the television, pleased when he found a seat nearby with a clear view.
***
It was her eyes, really. Those honest, sad eyes. They made a man curious, made him want to unravel their mystery, made him want to break through the restraint to the truth behind.
Jane knew he'd gotten farther than most people, a thought that caused him about equal parts pleasure and pain.
He watched Lisbon for another minute or so, when her press conference ended and the camera switched back to the news anchor. Jane immediately lost interest in the screen.
***
Jane remembered the slightly sad eyes of the woman he'd seen on the television screen only a little while earlier (their expression lonely really, if Jane was honest with himself). That woman deserved to be spoiled a little.
A strong wave of affection rushed through him.
He missed her. He really missed her. She was important. He was confused and sometimes frustrated or angry, but she was still important.
He wanted to buy her something that showed that.
***
Besides, it was something Lisbon could wear at work, if she wanted to of course. Though Jane supposed a flying tackle might not be the best thing for silver jewellery; at least the brooch looked reasonably sturdy. Jane was sure it was tough. Just like its future owner. Although, maybe it would be best if Lisbon didn't wear it into the field...
Oh well. He'd leave that decision up to her.
***
Lisbon women were far too much fun to annoy.
***
It was Christmas. Christmas was for family. Christmas was for happy times. Christmas shouldn't be tainted with murder, and serial killers, and grudges, and... him.
None of them deserved that.
He needed to drive.
Drive, and drive, and then drive some more.
Drive and try not to think. About anything.
Right now, he didn't know what else to do.
***
The box did indeed have more than one present in it. In fact, it had at least a dozen. Easily.
And they were all neatly, meticulously, and individually wrapped.
Jane smiled foolishly. Of course she'd wrapped them all.
He gingerly lifted them all out of the box (even with the wrapping he could make a pretty good guess at some of them, though he tried not to).
He wasn't going to open a single one of them until tomorrow though. Not a single one.
Jane piled his presents on the table and shoved the large box they'd been in underneath and out of sight.
They were the only festive thing in the room.
And all of a sudden (and for about the twentieth time in the last two weeks), Jane regretted turning down Annie's invitation to Christmas dinner. He'd had to do it, but...
***
Jane's heart skittered. He hadn't thought of it that way, but he could see how she might be. He knew she missed him. Truth be told, he liked that she missed him. But he hadn't wanted to make her upset. He'd wanted her to be happy. He'd wanted to help give her a good Christmas. But like so much lately, he seemed to be having trouble getting it right. He glanced around at his little pile of presents, the ones that had made his morning special. I'm sorry. I didn't want to do that.
***
Jane was more than a little glad to be driving to Pete and Sam's trailer that evening. Opening Lisbon's enormous (and incredibly thoughtful) gift, while lovely, had been a little overwhelming.
Add that to the guilt and the (entirely self-directed) anger he felt for having caused her even a little bit of pain with his own gift, he needed a distraction.
***
Sam nodded once. "And you're obviously still being a bit of an idiot about that."
Before Jane could argue, Pete smacked him on the back. "Course he's being an idiot about that, Sammy. Patty might think he's a sharp one, and maybe he is most of the time, but we've all got our weak spots. This is his, the fool."
"Thanks Pete," Jane said neutrally. He really didn't want to talk about this.
***
Jane's smile was a bit painful.
He wanted her to catch up.
He wanted to hear about her Christmas.
AVG18 chapter 6 . 11/15/2012
loved it! it is always nice to see a story from a different perspective, and you can feel how Jane is changing his feelings (or rather discovering) for Lisbon. I loved that you included the scene of Jane buying all those books for her.
Mlee.Write chapter 6 . 11/15/2012
Just lovely
Brown Eyes Parker chapter 6 . 11/15/2012
Sure, I'm interested in a Jane/Lisbon story. But it takes me a while to figure out a prompt. So, I guess when I do and you still have slots open then I'll look you up on livejournal?

Anyways. . .

I was NOT in any way ready for this chapter. It had so much emotion in it, I swear I was almost knocked down by it.

I LOVED how everybody in Jane's life (minus Lisbon) kept calling him out on how he's being an idiot. He deserves it.

Plus, this chapter put me in an even more Christmas-y mood than I was in yesterday, which may or may not be a good thing.

Anxiously awaiting more!