Reviews for Aphelion
regularhp chapter 7 . 12/16/2013
I like your story and how Hermione is progressing and I get that the story is focused on her. But to make it seem as if all Harry was to her wa a worthless friend who never really appreciated her intellect, who always used her to get out of messes he created is a bit harsh, isn't it? Yes he can't challenge her intellectually, few can but that doesn't make him worthless. He would give his life to save her if he could. And please make Harry somewhat capable. He doesn't have the same drive to learn as Hermione in canon(something I always disliked-I am talking about Harry's laziness not Hermione's drive) but he isn't totally worthless. He is pretty good at magic and has raw power and is willing to use ti for good. Yes, he makes mistakes but most of them are driven by pure motives and most of the situations re such that he is given no choice before he is thrust into them.
kafkas chapter 19 . 12/14/2013
I love this fic.
I really really do. The characterization is often top notch and the world building is fantastic.

But sometimes your feminism throws me off. This is a bit nitpicky tbh.
Don't mistake me. The feminism in this fic is not subtle, but I enjoy it nonetheless because there are so few fanfics that are so open and proud of feminist concepts. However, Hermione's proclaimed feminism is sometimes contradicted by her thoughts or behavior.

Ch. 13. "A bombshell of a bimbo like Lavender Brown"
This is sexist, no doubts about it. I assume-since you seem to be following HP canon as close as possible-that Lavender Brown is dead in this fic. If she is dead, that means Hermione just disrespected a dead girl who bravely decided to fight alongside her peers during the final battle only to be ripped to shreds by Greyback. This is slut-shaming and rather ooc on Hermione's part. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the books Hermione never seemed to direct her anger at Lavender. More so, at herself and her inability to connect with her peers due to their different interests.

Ch. 17 "Jane had been nothing if not kind, even if she had a problematic soft spot for Thor."
I figured this could be interpreted in a lot of different ways. 'Jane's soft spot for Thor is problematic because she ignores his flaws' or 'Jane's soft spot for Thor is problematic because it doesn't fit into my feminist ideal on how relationships should work.' Hermione seems to look down on Jane a lot. Well, more like, envy her apparent naivete. But sometimes I get the feeling you seem to separate femininity from feminism in favor of masculinity. This is a widespread problem in mainstream feminism. In which the only way a woman can be strong is to adopt masculine traits and getting the fuck away from femininity. I hope Hermione doesn't feel that just because Jane adores Thor, that makes her any less deserving of respect. It's problematic to view women who are dependent on men, who love being boy crazy, aren't feminists and are not capable of feminism. The 'strong female character' trope should not be limited only to women who shun femininity. But also to women who love being a housewife, women who sleep around, women who don't care about books, women who only care about makeup or boys, etc.

Ch. 18. "Consent is the new sexy."
This was so gross on so many levels.
Consent is not sexy. Consent is necessary and important. Don't try to sexualize consent to make it 'trendy' or 'fashionable'. Yes, this has been a feminist mantra for awhile, but it's deeply messed up because the mantra is basically trying to make consent into something desirable rather than something extremely necessary. Sort of like the 'I Love Boobies' bracelets in which the campaign objectified women to popularize breast cancer awareness.

Annnd that's it.
This fic is amazing. Well thought out, well plotted, and well written. I hope this review doesn't make you feel bad (idk man, maybe I'm just flattering myself here, maybe you'll just take this review with a grain of salt) or make your day any less good.

PS; You should definitely look more into intersectional feminism if you haven't already. Mainstream feminism (also dubbed 'white feminism') often ignores diverse groups of women in favor of promoting only certain stances (such as when feminists who mention the pay gap usually only talk about a white woman's pay gap compared to a white male, but never a black woman, latino, asian, etc, which is significantly less).
Angry Paradox chapter 19 . 12/13/2013
This was my first story into this crossover fandom and Oh my Lord, I'm already head over heels for it. Your characterization of Loki is a great balance of mischievousness, insanity, and vulnerability. I get a little confused at his dialogue, but I can see that being a tool in emphasizing. Is madness. I can we why Hermione is so confused though; I'm just as confused! I love how accurate your Tony Stark is haha! I enjoy read his dialogue the most. I can't wait for the next chapter!
sharpestsatire chapter 19 . 12/11/2013
"Rather confusing" you say. RATHER CONFUSING. /broken laughter/ I can't imagine what happens next. I have a vague idea because of the first chapter of this story but I mean… I just… wow. /breathes/ This plot is amazing. The foreshadowing! The wordplay! Eeeeee!
Watermelon Lemon Drops chapter 19 . 12/11/2013
This is getting interesting...
angel897 chapter 19 . 12/10/2013
interesting as always
capctr chapter 3 . 12/9/2013
Nice
BladeAuror chapter 19 . 12/9/2013
Hey, it's me again, loved this chapter, I noticed you deescribe more Stark's movements than the others...When will Loki and Hermione just be sincere with eachother? Please tell me nobody's going to die in the end, I'm quite tired of reading fanfics in wich my favorite character dies...
RedLicorice chapter 19 . 12/9/2013
Well, I'm looking forward to Hermione finding the solution to Loki's puzzles. I don't know the comics (shame on me), I haven't seen Thor 2, so I don't really have a clue about Thanos and everything else. Still, the whole Death thing is interesting. Does (the person) Death come only from Harry Potter or from Marvel, too?
Yay for Harry! I'm really glad to have him back. Hermione needs her friends.
Nostalgic Beauty chapter 19 . 12/9/2013
Poor Hermione, she's so uncertain, and I have a feeling that clarity is a long way off. Though it's nice to know that Loki still trusts Hermione. Or at least he seems to. You write the situations very well. Even the reader who has seen from Loki's perspective doubts his motives just like Hermione. It's all very well done.
mh21 chapter 19 . 12/8/2013
Another great chapter! I was a bit confused with some of the dialogue, but I think that's mostly because its hard to keep up with Loki's riddles and motivations. I really enjoyed the chapter though and hope you can update again soon!

When I saw Thor 2 in theaters the entire time I kept thinking that Hermione should have been in the movie. I clearly can't get this fic out I my head.

I hope when this story is done you continue to write Hermione crossovers, even if its not a crossover with Marvel. :)
Seeing Sounds chapter 19 . 12/8/2013
Oh Damn..
waterflower20 chapter 19 . 12/8/2013
I loved it but now I'm more confused than ever.

I have some suspicions but nothing sure.

I think the next chapters are bound to be equally confusing and intriguing.

PS: Wasn't Loki able to see/feel Harry, even through his invisibility cloak? I mean he did in Here Be Monsters, so Hermione didn't really betray his trust, no matter how much she must think so.

Loki MUST have known Harry was there.
NorthernLights25 chapter 19 . 12/8/2013
Good chapter! I can't wait to see what you do next.
Keira-House M.D chapter 19 . 12/8/2013
Brilliant chapter. Confusing, for both Hermione and me, but I think I'm getting more than a gist of Loki's plans. Still, he's had so long to perfect his lies and masks and trickeries that it will take a while to decipher what he's saying, especially when he's refusing to say everything. Loved all the interaction between Hermione and Loki. Looking forward to more.
673 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »