Reviews for Dreamers in the Shadows
theoneandonlybyrd chapter 29 . 4/7
This whole Fanfiction is amazing and you must write more because it's just so amazing and you are a truly talented writer and I love this so much wow I sound like a broken record okay but it's just so good. Please write more!
pretentious kneecap chapter 31 . 3/22
ohh my god i didn't realize until i got to chapter 30 that this was incomplete
HaveACuppaT chapter 30 . 12/16/2014
I am absolutely in love with this story and it would be super super awesome if you could update it soon! You write all the characters really well and your writing is fabulous! I hope to hear from you at some point! :) :D
Guest chapter 1 . 5/19/2014
this is an amazing story! please update it soon!
HaveACuppaT chapter 31 . 4/13/2014
Argh! This is has got to be my favourite les mis story ever and I can't wait until it's finished! I'm so so so excited and I just LOvE it! :D
Karen chapter 31 . 3/30/2014
PLEASE PLEASE continue this story soon. I was actually not very well-immersed at the beginning (AU isn't exactly my first choice), but the more I read, the more I liked it. Your characterization and vocabulary is splendid, as is your plot, although I'm sure everyone else is just as confused as I am. Haha.

Please update soon! I must KNOW! Haha (:
Goldencity chapter 31 . 3/25/2014
Oh, this story. I just read it for the first time. It's been a while since I've read Belonging and Believing, and I've been intending to read this one for a long time, but for some reason I thought, "Belonging and Believing is so good there's no way Dreamers can be as good as that one." Oh what a mistake. I actually love this story MORE than your other one, which is saying a lot.

I risk sounding redundant in my praise, but seriously. I enjoyed this so much. For the three days it took to read it, it was all that was on my mind. I actually thought to myself, "What if this is a dream and a story this perfect doesn't really exist? I'd better hurry and finish it before I wake up." And then proceeded to read it obsessively.

I'm sure you've got the general gist that I love your story, but now I'll list some specific things I really liked.

1. All the Eric and Grant. I have many times experienced loving two characters and cherishing their interactions...but lots of times there isn't nearly as much of the characters as I wish. But this, on the other hand... You really deliver with the Eric and Grant goodness! You don't just tease us with little snippets of delightful interactions; you give us long conversations, moments that make me melt inside, and a relationship that's paced so well.

Which leads me to number 2: You actually make me ship Eric and Grant as a romantic pairing. As someone who usually prefers strong friendship instead of romance, that's a new thing for me. But you write the characters and both their friendship and romance really well.

3. The actual Les Mis book and musical are involved in this. I've only seen characters reading/watching about themselves in parody/humor stories, so I loved that that was included in a long, serious story like this.

4. Cori. He just delights me so much. Jean, too, is just precious. And all the characters, really. You've done a very good job at keeping them all distinct from each other. (In some things I've read, even when it's from different POVs it all seems the same. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that from you.)

5. This story is interesting enough to make me read the whole thing. Oftentimes, I am guilty of reading the parts about my favorite characters and skimming the rest, but this is interesting all throughout!

6. How well you write their incredibly close friendship, and the fact that you focus on friendship as much as romance. Unfortunately, a lot of fanfiction portrays platonic love as less important or worthy of writing about than romantic love, so it's wonderful to have a story like this that includes both.

7. The Dreamwidth accounts! After I finished the 31 chapters, it was great to have something else to check out. Eric's comment to Grant, "It's apparently very easy to make you blush. It's cute. Perhaps I'll have to do it more often." made me smile. A lot.

Oh, I could just go on and on about all that I loved.

Your writing is fantastic, and I absolutely love it the way it is. But if I were to offer any constructive criticism, I might suggest describing a bit more of the characters' surroundings. I love how big a part dialogue plays in your writing, and you do a fantastic job of describing the characters' voices, emotions, facial expressions, and body language. But sometimes I don't have the clearest picture in my head of what their surroundings look like. I'm not saying you need in depth paragraphs describing Eric and Grant's apartment, of course, but a little description and details about their surroundings in addition to the conversation and emotions might enhance your writing overall.

Another little thing that might enhance your writing is if you include more weather. Drizzling or pouring rain, thunderstorms, sunny, cloudy, windy - sometimes it can make a story seem more real if there's an idea of what everyday aspects of life like the weather is doing as well as what's happening in the characters' heads. I remember one instance in this story when Maria was hugging her boys, and something was mentioned about how hot it was - and I liked that detail about the heat.

As with all constructive criticism, of course, take anything that you think helps and ignore anything you don't like. Also, I apologize if there's actually plenty of what I suggested, and I'm simply not the most attentive of readers. Honestly, I am hesitant to offer any constructive criticism at all, because this story is very well written as it is... but I figured it couldn't hurt, just in case my comments do help.

I suppose I'd better wrap up this review now, as it's getting pretty long. But the story itself is pretty long, so it's fitting that my review of it be more than just a few sentences. On a final note, I'd like to thank you for writing this story. Before I read it, I really wanted something that would let me forget myself and the world for a while, and your story definitely drew me in and did just that. So, thank you. I've really enjoyed.

I'll definitely be looking forward to whenever the next update for this comes! :)
Guest chapter 31 . 3/22/2014
This is amazing! I love how you wrote the characters, keeping the modern versions distinguishable from their past selves, yet at the same time making it obvious that they're still the same person. I like that there are parallels between their original life and this one, but at the same time, somethings are different, the characters are learning from their past's mistakes and trying to be better people, especially Grant, Erik, Erin and Mark. The way you bring Javert into the story truly wonderful. Poor, misguided Javert. Dr. Radnik is pretty cool, I loved that scene where James was trying to get information about Erik but she wouldn't let him. Gary's relationship with James is different from in the book, but I really enjoy it. Will James ever work with the Independents to fight the shadow monster? Please update soon!
egaara chapter 31 . 3/6/2014
I AM THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD, I THOUGHT I HAD REVIEWED THIS EPISODE BUT IT TURNS OUT I DIDN'T AND I FEEL SO BAD. So I will do it now, more or less because it's been a while since I read the episode but I'll try.

First of all: kill me

Second of all: Kill me again because I'm still crying

Third of all: Why haven't you killed me already I'm in pain

Fourth of all: no, wait, do not kill me I NEED TO KNOW MORE

I cannot say with more words how much I love this fic. Its my favourite fic of all times, I think you are developing this story wonderfully, that the characters are amazingly adapted from the book and damn it I love your writing. I cry every time I think about this fic and how glorious it is and I really hope my lack of memory on reviewing it does not make you think otherwise because I love this fic and I will be here until the end and until more and I love everything everything is rainbows and pain because this fic is pain but it's that kind of pain you cannot live without.

So yeah
Guest chapter 31 . 2/12/2014
Wow. I've read this whole thing in a couple of days and it's legit my favourite fanfic. It's SO gripping and I really hope you continue it...
Guest chapter 31 . 1/24/2014
Please update soon. I love your story.
Kchan88 chapter 31 . 1/12/2014
So glad to see you back! :) Another incredible chapter, I was hanging on every word and am so intrigued to find out what happens next. Once again, your characterization of everyone is splendid and spot on. I absolutely cannot wait for more!
strukkfirst chapter 31 . 12/28/2013
Wow I basically just reread your entire story after taking a hiatus of my own and then needing to remember what actually happened and I must say that it's even better a second time around. This story is so good- I'm a little obsessed actually. I can't wait for the next chapter, and I so look forward to the slow murder of this freakin Shadow!
Random Passerby chapter 31 . 12/23/2013
I absolutely love your story. Please keep up the good work, and I look forward to the next chapter. Thank you for writing this story.
RobertaWickham chapter 31 . 12/22/2013
This continues to be great. I love all their interactions and deductions in this chapter, and the reappearance of the...being...from your other story, and getting a glimpse of the choice Enjolras makes each time, yet again.

A soul without a body. Now I wonder...I'm starting to have a guess as to who this shadow is, though I may be wrong. Is it Le Cabuc? Don't tell me, and I'm probably wrong anyway. And why is he running from the being?

I'm very worried about the "destroying a soul is necessary" bit-yes, ostensibly it refers to the shadow, but it could also refer to a sacrifice by an Ami (let's face it, probably Enjolras) to stop the shadow, by offering up the stuff of his soul, which can destroy the shadow.

As you can see, your story is making me speculate, and it's FANTASTIC, and I'm thrilled to see an update-wonderful job, as always!