Reviews for Dreamers in the Shadows
SerynnLux chapter 23 . 3/18/2013
I was right! I was right! I was right! *does happy dance of victory* I knew it! Go Jean! Also, can we talk about how BAMF he was going after Jehan like that? Please? And how I would have cried about Jehan's death if I wasn't in such a good mood?
James! Yes! You captured his Javert side perfectly! I'm so happy right now, and the feels between Barry and Jean! Flawless! I'm so happy! And even Jehan's reaction to Jean.

And can I thank you for not just making Jehan's reincarnation a very effeminate homosexual male? Thank you for that, really. I mean that.
I'm in danger of falling in love with Jean now. He and Cori are about to compete for my favouritism. But Jona is always the best for me! Yeah... this was just... thank you for Jean. Thank you.
Relinquished chapter 23 . 3/18/2013
They found Jehan *sighs happily*

Except, poor baby. At least he got a heads up before the dreams started. Can't wait for the big reunion!
Shadow chapter 23 . 3/18/2013
I've been wanting to comment on every chapter since I stumbled across this about a month ago, but just haven't been able to zero in on one point or one moment or anything. I've had to break away in the middle of a chapter to try to get my emotions back under control more times than I can count. This entire story is so incredible and incredibly written that it's impossible for me to really know where to start.

Perhaps the greatest of the many things that have caught my attention is the way you've played around with their various sexualities and gender identities. As someone who identifies as both a sexual orientation and gender orientation minority (gray-A asexual and androgynous, though far from transgendered), it's rare to see an author of either original fiction *or* fanfiction address some of these topics in so much depth, and still manage to keep everyone in character rather than conforming to stereotypes. The first time you stated that Eric was "ace" and that the LGBTetc community would generally still see him as straight, I very nearly cheered, because it's an issue I've run up against many times myself. Not to mention the idea that not all asexuals are afraid of sex. That seems to be a misconception I get a lot as well; that I'm merely "afraid" and that's why I abstain, and I should go to therapy to "fix" it. There is a strong difference between being afraid of sex and finding little to no pleasure in the act, and it's something I think most of the world just can't quite fathom. And as I said, as someone who is gender androgynous, I think Jean being transgendered female-to-male is a wonderful addition to the mix of identities and I'm really excited to see how this plays out.

I also thought you should know, this chapter has turned me into a sobbing mess. My heart has ached for these characters from the start, but now especially. When Jehan was watching them all die, and holding them and then couldn't bring himself to touch E/R... I cried my way through that entire segment, and then continued to cry for another ten minutes or so. I can't remember the last time a fanfic has moved me to such emotion. Since I started reading this story, I have found myself flailing, pacing around my room, shouting, screaming, literally falling out of my chair, laughing hysterically because what else am I supposed to do when I have all of these feelings, and yes, shed a few tears - but this was the first time you have brought me to such a state of distress. And I promise, that is a very good thing.

Now that I've said all of that, please allow me to conclude with: Thank you for writing this. I found it by accident after swearing to myself I would never read Les Mis fanfiction, because, how could it compare? But I clicked on a wrong link from tumblr and landed myself here and I could not stop, and it's wonderful and beautiful and painfully heartbreaking all at once. Just amazing. If you ever get original work published, please share; I would love to read it!
JiminSugaHope chapter 23 . 3/18/2013
Thank you for replying to me once again. It's very interesting when authors take the time to do that! I appreciate it as I know you're writing multiple fics and they are quite in depth and elaborate. Oh, I'm so happy it is Jehan and it's very cool to see that they touched on the other lives that Jean/Jehan have lived. Scary, but cool. Oh, but Barry know about Jean being transgender and, awesome dude that he is, didn't say anything about it. I can only imagine that the others will be just as fine with it. Thank you!
S.B chapter 23 . 3/17/2013
Aaah! Thank you for this chapter! I was starting to worry, since the entire weekend passed without a word, but this was worth the wait! Finally, all of Les Amis are gathered again! And I can't wait to see how this thing with Jean turns out. I knew there was something about him... Great chapter, as always!
Aisha Kaltinera chapter 23 . 3/17/2013
Knew it! Oh, this is so awesome. Have I mentioned today that you're full of awesomeness? Javert needs to wake up soon, before he drives himself insane. I hope we get to see Cosette soon, well, maybe not her dreams, per se, but hopefully she has memories too!
nefertitis chapter 23 . 3/17/2013
It's been a while since I've reviewed, but wow. Catching up was INTENSE!

I'm loving Grantaire's dilemma right now. (is that mean?) but I totally get where he's coming from. I think losing Enjolras would actually kill him. I don't know if he could take it so it's understandable why he's so hesitant to get involved in what would be such a shaky relationship, even though they have a lot of potential to be amazing they have the potential to crash and burn too so I think he's right to be worried. But I hope he finds everything worth it enough to do it because it so is!

I'm excited for Cosette because wow favourite character, but I feel kind of bad for Erin/Eponine. I'm morbidly curious to see how this, and everything actually, plays out.

I love Jehan. I love him so much I'm so glad he's finally here. (Did I mention that I love him?) And he's trans*? I love that you included this. I don't know, but I always feel strange when I see modern AUs where all the amis are cis-het white men.

Okay so I love this fic basically.
backfromthedead91 chapter 23 . 3/17/2013
interesting that you made Jehan / Jean a transsexual (that's the correct term right?) ! this is a great and scary (yes! pretty scary) chapter :)
ConcreteAngelRoxHerHalo chapter 23 . 3/17/2013
Awww *feels*! Continue! I love how long your chapters are:) very filling
Kchan88 chapter 23 . 3/17/2013
This chapter was so incredibly intense, and I absolutely loved it! You write Jean/Jehan so very well, and the imagery in this was phenomenal. I pretty much just wanted to reach in through the computer and hug Jehan forever. Also, that bit about Jehan witnessing Enjolras and Grantaire dying together, about the idealism and cynicism dying side by side, that entire bit, was utterly beautiful.

Wonderful job! :)
Lilium-Rosa chapter 22 . 3/12/2013
I really rather love this story and how you've written it. The idea is a great one and it's good to be able to see Les Amis get a chance to live again and continue making a difference.
Iratus Thug chapter 22 . 3/12/2013
I realised I do alot of screaming in my reviews so I figured I'd have a go at using my inside voice.

I have to say, I seriously love this chapter. Gary is so frigging deplorable-er aborable. So very Gavroche-isk. And you writing about him freaking out about the shadow and the dreams totally had me freaking out with him.

And Erin/Eponine. The way you write her is so fantastic. She's an actual character with demensions and depth. It's really great. (still holding my breath on the whole marius/mark's love triangle thing, or is it a hexagon? ...hmm...)

And I will never get tired of Grant and Grantaire total being themselves about everything and chatting away to each other. I think one of my favourite things how synonymous they are, no matter the century, R is still R.

And that really goes for all your lovely characters you've created. Your modern!amis are still totes The Amis at their core.

And I love Jehan, he's such a cutie, and Eric/Enjolras, and bloody hell all of them. I love this story. You are totally awesome.

Thank you so much for the updates. They completely make my day.

I wish you many buckets of happiness, hugs and rainbows.

May your lands be furtile and full of turtles.
HSJABS chapter 22 . 3/10/2013
I love the, "Marius, you're late" part. I laughed way more than socially acceptable. Slap happy witty lines interesting reactions.

Also, GRANT AND ERIC!
RobertaWickham chapter 22 . 3/10/2013
Oh, the conversation between Grant and Jona and Lyle is delightful. You are drawing the development of that relationship out so tantalizingly, it's going to be wonderful when E and R finally talk about it. And Gavroche! And Jean taking the whole "psychic vampire" thing completely in stride!

The most startling part was the twist about the other incarnations making themselves felt, though. Of course it makes perfect sense-1832 is a long way from 2013 (or even later, if I understand the setting of your story right) and there must have been other lives in between, but I was NOT expecting them to make an appearance. To have them do so, with such consequences for Eric-jolras, was very scary. Especially given the hints about what exactly those past lives were, and how they ended. That "two weeks" business...I'm going to guess that the Amis (and Musichetta too?) in their most recent past lives were all imprisoned and then executed two weeks apart. It fits in with your portrayal of them in "The Path Still Chosen," and it would explain their birthdays. I wonder if you're going to have them puzzle it out, or if they'll be too busy with the shadow monster for that. Thanks for another great chapter!
S.B chapter 22 . 3/10/2013
Another great chapter :) And I have been thinking about that too, about former former lives, if that makes any sense. I just knew that they had lived several lives between 1832 and now.
Keep up the amazingly good work!
364 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »