Reviews for Smiles of a Summer Night
excessivelyperky chapter 2 . 10/27/2014
Ah. Now, anti-*rat* spells might be in order, but I suspect nobody has ever told Moody about dear Peter Pettigrew, which is obviously really, really stupid on Sirius Black's part. But then, Sirius Black is like that-that, or he is *hoping* Peter shows up, which seems likely. Still, Moody should just stun them all and let Merlin claim his own.

I really like the back and forthing between Moody and Minerva. They have quite a bit past between the two of them, and Moody is deliberately obnoxious to make sure Minerva's not offering a pity party. I personally think a well-applied levitation or featherlight spell could help with the balance problem whilst in the saddle, but I can understand why Moody might not be up to experimentation in his delicate state of nerves.

Constant vigilance, heh.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 10/18/2014
Excellent explanation of how Crouch managed to pass as Moody all year, as well as establishing the exciting nature of Minerva's and Alastor's relationship. This chapter also shows how Moody really has gone beyond 'constant vigiliance' into paranoia, but all things considered, it's not really surprising.

And in the days of the second Voldie war, it'll probably keep both he and Minerva alive a bit longer, too.
kmc356 chapter 2 . 3/10/2014
Moody's voice was so fantastic in this. I kept cracking up at it. And your ability to pair Minerva with anyone is downright magical.
rbear1231 chapter 2 . 7/13/2013
not bad not bad at all he problem is he is old not dead and so is she, they forgot birth control
i say this cause my dirty grandpa is 81 nd he some how got a 42 year old lover knocked up. so if the old auror is only 72 its possible and dont tell me she cant get pregnat do to her age she was just as alive as him

really i loved it its now in my favs.
JustFishy chapter 2 . 7/8/2013
Well we already know that you have nailed down Minerva's voice and quite well. That much is fact. What I didn't know, until I read this, was that you've nailed down a good Moody voice ... a very good Moody voice.

I absolutely love the banter and humor you have spliced all through this piece, especially since its such a dark and scary time in canon ... without the humor, I think it would be too sad to bear reading and thus, you have a perfect mixture of humor and hope to quiet the waves of despair and fear that are rolling through Hogwarts.
JustFishy chapter 1 . 7/8/2013
*snip*

So who was left? Filch? Hog-hung Hagrid? That pasty-faced, lying Death Eater Snape? Not likely.

*snip* Ha .. amen to that ... the pasty-faced one I mean. But do I detect a tinge of jealousy here ... we see already Alastor is jealous of Dumbledore ... which makes perfect sense, but what man would NOT be jealous of Hagrid's magnificent manhood? Any hetero woman can tell you, that is soooo tempting! I know if I were Minerva, I'd have some serious thoughts on delving into that hut.

*snip*

Black stormed back to him, sunken eyes flashing. "I don't know what your game is, Moody, but I'm not going to play it for you any more. I'm not your errand boy or your paid muscle or whatever-the-hell. Next time you want to sucker-punch Professor McGonagall, you do it yourself. Or don't you have the balls?"

*snip*

Oh now I like THIS Black. For what its worth, I don't normally like Sirius much.

*snip*

It had been Harry Potter's friend, that girl with the odd name. . .Honoria, something like that? The brainy one with the broom up her bum. She reminded him of Minerva, come to think of it.

*snip*

This made me laugh, and the first time I read this, sparked a story idea of my own. So very, very true. We knew that Hermione was loosely based on Rowling, she tells us that much, but I always felt that Minerva, especially being Scottish, was also some sort of extension of Rowling, seeing as how she so values bravery, honesty, morals and, of course, Scotland ... so drawing attention to these two characters sharing attributes really fits the universe, in mho. Bravo maestro.

I have read this before ... no idea why I didn't review it ... its magnificent and I have more to say but I had better throw this up here before I go and let my senility get the better of me and I forget once again. By the way, your writing is fantastic and delightfully funny.
the real snape chapter 2 . 11/25/2012
/And if he didn't already know that his elders had personal lives, then it was high time he found out./ Rather sums up the endeavours of the OLSB, that line.

Love Moody the tits man. And ‘hide-the-sausage’.

/"Pot, cauldron, black," she countered./ Yes!

/And nothing for you and me but empty beds and old age./ Such a beautiful line. That’s the downside of turning to your fic for inspiration. That sudden desire to take up whist or knitting and forget about ever writing anything again.

/Unless you're planning to scream my name in ecstasy and don't remember how to cast a silencing charm?/ Marvellous.

/She must have taken her own hair down magically,/ Ah, yes. The removing of hairpins. Thank Merlin for magic, eh?

/so there were the inevitable shiftings and movements, noses that needed to be scratched and arms that got awkwardly placed/ Such a wonderfully-realistic depiction.

/Don't splinch yourself/ Exasperating, I know. But it's like saying 'drive carefully' each and every time someone takes a trip, even when it's just, say, a three-hours drive and you know full well they do drive carefully. It's caring.
the real snape chapter 1 . 11/25/2012
/it had been damned hard. And so had he./ What a perfect Moody voice you give us here. (Which is precisely why I came here today – because I needed to get in a Moody state of mind. Properly Moody, that is, not my own Snapely version of moody.)

/Barty. Fucking. Crouch. Fucking. Junior/ That must have rankled so much, and yet I’ve rarely seen an author pick up on it.

/Moody might be missing a leg here and half an arse there, but the important bits were still the same./ In defense of Minerva, dear Alastor, it is not common practice to inspect the important bits on a new colleague’s first day in office. Not even a very hands-on Deputy would do that, and I’m sure Minerva dislikes that particular expression as much as I do.

/She'd hardly be interested in that girl's blouse of an Albus/ Hear, hear.

/The boy, Potter, had been there as well, standing gormlessly in a doorway, and he had watched her, too, staring at her like he'd never seen a woman in Muggle clothes before./ Such a perfectly Moody rewrite of canon.

/Next time you want to sucker-punch Professor McGonagall, you do it yourself. Or don't you have the balls?"/ I’m positively warming to Black here. Fine psychological insight. Right moral attitude. ‘Sucker-punch’? Ah well. He’s still very much Black, of course.

/The brainy one with the broom up her bum. She reminded him of Minerva, come to think of it./ *grin*

/He'd have preferred to talk with her/ Fun to see how he’s gone from ‘to talk *to* her at the earliest opportunity’ to ‘talk *with* her’ now that he’s facing her.

/and, yes, the fear of the trunk filling him again/ so telling of what that time must have been. Especially with that cleverly-placed ‘yes’
malfoyforever chapter 2 . 10/14/2012
Great characterization of both Minerva and Mad Eye. Perfectly believable scenario and hmm, I doubt that even Hermione will think about what her professors are up to late at night ;)
MyMadness chapter 2 . 10/13/2012
Oh I loved this! It's just so rich in detail. So nicely full and rewarding to read.
Guest chapter 2 . 9/3/2012
I don't know how you make them more alive than they ever were...
I suppose it'd be uncouth to politely beg for more?
Swallow B chapter 2 . 6/17/2012
I am going to look up what we can see in canon of the relationship between Minerva and Moody. Not much, I think. But Minerva must have been in the first Order of the Phoenix, even though she isn't on the photo. She is too anti-Voldemort, too Gryffindor and too dedicated to Dumbledore not to have been. In that case, they must have known each other.

Details that made it alive for me: how awkward it is for people who aren't used to sharing their bed; and Moody's embarassment at being a cripple, having an artificial leg, and Minerva's matter-of-fact acceptance of this.

I loved the line, "not safe (for only a fool believed that was even possible) - but something close to it." Excellent characterisation.

"There's nothing like months in a trunk to sort your mind." He could easily have lost his mind. Moody must have strongly developed mental resources, he is far from being as mad as Ron thinks he is at the beginning of GoF, if he used these months to assess his life and didn't give in to despair. Indeed, it's very sad to think of his upcoming death. Minerva looses a lot of people she deeply cared for. That's why it's important for her to stay at Hogwarts after the war, to involve herself in reconstruction, or she could have a very hard post-war.

On a lighter note, I doubt any of Minerva's students would ever suspect her of "coming in for a shag" (except maybe Hermione...).
Kylani chapter 2 . 6/16/2012
Oh my God, that was delightful. Makes Moody's death in DH all the more depressing. That was well written and unique and a really fun read. Thank you.
Swallow B chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
This is like an addition to your previous story. Keep on writing them and I'll adopt the pairing... Seriously, you write Alastor/Minerva very convincingly. Your writing is so alive, so well-characterised and so deep that you always draw us in. All your stories are convincing and seem like the only possible interpretation when we read them... until you come up with the next one that is yet a different conjecture, and that makes just as much sense.

Many faces of Minerva, and all very likeable. It's hard to choose only one. No wonder Moody, Snape, Wilhelmina, Rolanda, Poppy, Augusta and Griselda (and I may have forgotten some) all love her. It's also much more interesting than staying bound to the Pottermore story.
Sam chapter 1 . 6/7/2012
I do so love how you write these two (indeed how you write in general). I'm something of a MM/SS shipper but they way you write McGonagall with Moody, I find myself longing for more.